Tomb Raider 2

bubba966

Tomb Raider 2
« on: 25 Jul 2003, 09:27 am »
Well, let me say that I made a big mistake in staying up to watch this movie. It would've been a much better use of my time to have just been sleeping.

But honestly, it's slow & boring enough to make you fall asleep. It's definitely another craptastic P.O.S. from Yawn De Bont.

If you feel you absolutely must see this movie, don't pay full price. I'm very glad I didn't pay to see it. Hell, I shoulda been paid to watch it...

Ferdi

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2003, 11:00 pm »
My countryman's work is not appreciated?  :o  I fondly remember Speed  :lol:

Joking aside, thanks for the warning to avoid this (at least until the DVD is out and I have nothing better to do).

Ferdi

bubba966

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2003, 11:09 pm »
Ferdi,

I enjoyed Speed. But he went downhill fast from there. Twister was merely ok, but Speed 2, The Haunting, & now Tomb Raider 2 are all wretched.

At least The Haunting sounded pretty damn good. But the DTS track for Tomb 2 was horrid. Jolie's dialog was so quiet that you could hardly hear what she's saying. And that's when it was turned up enough. I'd hate to imagine how loud it'd have to be for a few different things to sound ok.

De Bont should go back to being a Cinematographer. He does a fine job at that.

TheeeChosenOne

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2003, 11:19 pm »
A Director has to be a good story teller.

Cinematographers surprisingly don't make good Directors, as is mainly the case with De Bont.

Other Cinematographers provide extremely good team synergy to Directors.  Case in point, many in Hollywood believe Spielberg and Oliver Stone owe the majority of their success to their chosen Cinematographers they have loyally/gratefully used for decades.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2003, 02:55 am »
Isn't is De Bondt?  That guy's the cousin of a buddy of mine! :lol:

bubba966

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2003, 01:57 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Isn't is De Bondt?

According to this http://us.imdb.com/Name?Bont,%20Jan%20de it's either Jan de Bont or Jan De Bont.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2003, 02:06 am »
I can't ever spell my buddies name either! :lol:   But I do know he gets pissed when you ask if it's a French name; apparently it's Dutch.  I guess that matters.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2003, 02:20 am »
I thought it was OK.  Certainly more fun than a lot of other summer movies.  And Angelina Jolie positively glows in this movie - she obviously worked out and put on a little weight/muscle, and looks very good.

JohnR

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2003, 03:36 am »
Read an article about Jolie last night. They claim that the character of Lara Croft is much better developed... you know what I mean!!

They also had to digitally get rid of the remains of the Billy Bob tattoo.

Unfortunately I can't go see it, it's not being released here until November  :evil:  (or was it September, anyway not anytime soon)

Marbles

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2003, 03:49 am »
Angelina Jolie was interviewed by Rod Stewart (who was wearing a dress!!) or maybe that was Barbara Walters...hard to tell they both look alike  :P   anyway she likes her sex kinky  :o   When she's about to climax, she gets off on cutting herself with a knife!! :o

And what's with her tongueing her brother in public every chance she gets????

She wants me.......... 8)

bubba966

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2003, 06:50 am »
Quote from: Tyson
I thought it was OK.  Certainly more fun than a lot of other summer movies.

What other summer movies did you feel were less fun than TR2? I can't think of any offhand that I felt were more boring than TR2 was. I saw the trailer a few too many times I'm guessing, and the trailer had the best chunk of every single action scene in the entire movie in it.

Even LXG wasn't as boring...

Quote from: Tyson
And Angelina Jolie positively glows in this movie - she obviously worked out and put on a little weight/muscle, and looks very good.

I still think they shoulda had Rhona Mitra play Lara Croft instead of Jolie. She looks the part better than Jolie does. And she's actually from England, so she doesn't to fake the accent either.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2003, 07:50 pm »
I was very disappointed that they didn't go with Rhona Mitra, too.  First, she's much hotter, second she really is English.  Thirdly, I think she's a better actress, and most importantly she is the spitting image of Lara Croft. She was one of the first models to portray Lara for media events and publicity shoots, and when dolled up as LC she's just dead on.  Her voice is even a spot-on match.

I can see why they went with AJ, of course.  She's more famous/notorious, and certainly better known.  Typical small minded thinking.  A good example of using lesser known actors that fit the roles is Toby McGuire as Spiderman.  While he wasn't a complete unknown, most people either hadn't heard of him or were very opposed to him playing the webslinger (me on both counts :oops: ).  But he was so superb that now I can't imagine anyone else.  Another example is Starship Troopers.  At the time most of the cast was virtually unknown.  Yet the cast gelled very well and the movie was quite successful.

Personally, IMO the first TR movie and the last game were both pathetic, and the dismal job they did the first flick doesn't make me wanna run out to see the second.  Maybe it is better (god, how could it be worse), but I just don't see how they can add anything useful to the character or mythos by cranking out more flicks like this.

bubba966

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2003, 08:08 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
(god, how could it be worse)

Watch it and see for yourself how much worse it could be than the first one... :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2003, 08:12 pm »
You gotta be kidding...WORSE!? :o

bubba966

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2003, 08:15 pm »
While I kinda enjoyed the first one a little bit, I can't say there's anything enjoyable in the second one. So yeah, it's worse... :bomb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2003, 08:16 pm »
So I take it we don't watch Lara getting in the shower this time! :lol:   That was pretty much the only good part of the last one!

bubba966

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2003, 08:19 pm »
Correct on both counts. :(

Ferdi

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jul 2003, 10:45 pm »
Don't have anything to add to the comments about the movie. Dutch names often have connecting words: van, de, van der, etc. They are part of the name but are not capitalized or used in alphabetizing lists. Drives non-dutch up the wall sometimes.

Sorry, had to share that bit of trivia.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jul 2003, 10:48 pm »
That makes sense, Ferdi.  My friend's family has been in the US for a few generations; they Americanized the name by capitalizing the "De".  Their family in "the old country" spells it the traditional way.

I get it now.

bubba966

Tomb Raider 2
« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2003, 06:30 am »
Here's Paramounts "explanation" of why TR2 grossed less than half of what TR grossed on their opening weekends.

The second film based on video game heroine Lara Croft opened in fourth place at the North American box office last weekend, grossing $21.7 million. That's less than half of what its original counterpart, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, made when it opened in June 2001 with a whopping $47.7 million and went on to earn $131.1 million domestically.

Paramount said the weaker-than-expected opening is due to an overabundance of sequels this summer and also blamed the latest game in Eidos Interactive's Tomb Raider franchise, "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness." "The only thing we can attribute that to is that the gamers were not happy with latest version of the 'Tomb Raider' video game, which is our core audience," Paramount distribution president Wayne Lewellen told Reuters.

Did they not watch it? :scratch: Or don't they care to take the blame for dumping out such a P.O.S. when they can convienently blame it on someone else?