78 TT Mat

Zero One

78 TT Mat
« on: 24 Mar 2007, 07:38 am »
Having achieved great results by using my sand filled TT feet (see post on how to really silence a TT) I found that the mat was now the missing link.  I have tried pretty much everything.  But this is what really works on my TT if done in conjunction with the feet.

First the platter has a raised outer rim and the std mat fits into this, like many TTs.  I took a piece of sorbothane (very thin) and filled the void with this.

Next I took an old thickish  12" 78 shellac and used a router to route out a slight recess in the middle so the LPs would sit flat on it.  Then the 78 is glued to the platter with hot melt glue (it has turned out to be very important to glue it rather than just place it on the platter).  If I need t lift the platter for servicing I can unstick the glue easily and peel it away so that is no problem. The glue goes around the perimeter and 4 dobs inside the platter area.

I then have three options:

Play it straight on the 78

Use a very thin disc of sorbothane between the 78 and LP

or

Use a very thin disc of cork.

My current preference is to play it straight on the 78, the sound is just a little softer on the sorbothane.

In combo with the sand feet and main bearing sand sink this has given a truly wonderful improvement, the most noticeable thing is better dyanamics and strangely less grain in the highs.

I am also using a record weight makes an audible difference when put on, basically lower surface noise and slightly tighter bass.

I am not suggesting that these things will work in isolation as well as they are for me know, I have found there is a synergistic relationship with all this. 

I should mention that the Cart is longhorned and isolated as well so that is also part of the mix.

I hope this helps someone, I have a pic of the TT on it feet on my webpage if you want to look but I won't be posting the mat till later this week.
http://homepage.mac.com/braddles/PhotoAlbum8.html

Zero One