Clipping due to too much output gain of my preamp!!!

DaveX

I whacked up the volume of my Audio Research LS3 preamp that feeds my CI D200's just to see how loud it would go. I heard what I thought "could" be the sound of clipping so I backed off the volume, I don't hear this at normal listening levels and wondered if it was because my Spendor S5e loudspeakers are a mismatch or theres too much output gain (18 db) from my Audio Research LS3 preamp. Can too much output gain make a similar sound like clipping. Specs below. Thanks for your thoughts.

Audio Research LS3 preamp.

Frequency response ±.5 dB, 2.0 Hz to 100 kHz. -3dB points below 1 Hz and above 200 kHz
Noise & hum 18 µV RMS maximum IHF weighted noise at main output with gain control minimum (more than 100 dB below 2V RMS output.
Gain Main output: 18 dB (optional 10 dB gain reduction)
Input impedance 50 kOhms (100 kOhms Direct)
Output impedance 250 Ohms main output.
Maximum inputs 20V maximum
Rated outputs 2V RMS 2 Hz to 100 kHz, all outputs, 60 kOhm load (maximum output 35V RMS at 1/2% THD at 1 kHz into 100 kOhms)

Spendor S5e loudspeakers.

Frequency response 52Hz-20kHz ± 3dB on reference axis
Frequency range -6dB at 40Hz
Sensitivity for 1W @ 1m 87dB (a review by Dave Berriman found it to measure 82.5db @ a sensertvity of 2.83V)
Impedance nominal 8 ohms - minimum 4.4 ohms
Power handling 15 - 200 watts into 8 ohms unclipped
Harmonic distortion <1%  100Hz – 20kHz  90 dB @ 1m

CIAudio

Re: Clipping due to too much output gain of my preamp!!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2007, 03:01 pm »
I whacked up the volume of my Audio Research LS3 preamp that feeds my CI D200's just to see how loud it would go. I heard what I thought "could" be the sound of clipping so I backed off the volume, I don't hear this at normal listening levels and wondered if it was because my Spendor S5e loudspeakers are a mismatch or theres too much output gain (18 db) from my Audio Research LS3 preamp. Can too much output gain make a similar sound like clipping. Specs below. Thanks for your thoughts.

D-200s (26dB gain) require 2V for full output at 8 ohms. Using a preamp with 18dB of gain should be more than enough to drive them to clipping. This is not a bad thing, but if easily changed I would use the optional 10dB reduction...this will lower noise and give you more range on the volume control.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2007, 05:14 pm »
DaveX:

I'll bet that sucker was plenty loud!!!! I turn my pre up to nine on the dial and My trusty Rat Shack SPL meter reads 100 all the time and goes higher on some passages.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

kkc

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2007, 06:08 pm »
Can you all shout a bit louder please?  I can't hear clearly, no more....!