HT Preamp and 2 Ch Preamp integration

Vr3

HT Preamp and 2 Ch Preamp integration
« on: 24 Mar 2007, 03:18 am »
I sent this email to Frank at Signal Cable - and I thought i explained it pretty well, so I am doing a copy and paste job here....

Just trying to get more advice/comments on the subject...

Ive been asking around - and no one seems to be able to give me an answer. So I figure I will ask a wiring guy - I hope you don't mind.

Basically, in my setup, I do mostly 2 channel but I want to integrate it into a HT setup...

Here is the jist of the idea...

The system would have 2 preamps. The 2 channel preamp has a HT bypass, but since the unit will feature 2 main outs - one for my mains and one for my stereo subs, I am afraid if I use the HT Bypass - the mains will be coupled together and I would not be able to use the crossover feature on my HT preamp.

My main amp has two inputs, RCA and XLR

So from my 2 channel pre, RCA out to RCA in on the amp, and the HT preamp, go from those outputs to the XLR ins....

As for the subwoofer - this is where you would come into play, I would need a cable that had one RCA on one end that split off into two seperate wires, with a RCA on each end of those

This would allow me to split the input of the crossover for the sub and I could run into the outputs of the preamps. The 2 ch preamp would be R&L, The HT preamp would have a y splitter to bring them together into a LFE channel.

I will attach a diagram of the setup to further help...

Equipment at the time of this taking place... will be the following...

2 Ch pre - Odyssey Audio Candela
HT pre - Emotiva LMC 1
2 Ch Amp - Odyssey Audio Stratos Extreme
Sub amps - 2 Crown XTi1000
Sub Xover - Paradigm X30

Thanks in advance!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallerylastup&cat=0&pos=0 - link to diagram

Regalma

Re: HT Preamp and 2 Ch Preamp integration
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2007, 10:54 pm »
Why not configure the HT preamp so that the mains are full range (large) and the surrounds and center are small and show no subwoofer. Then set the HT crossover to whatever is appropriate for your small speakers. Then output the stereo preamp to your main speakers and to a crossover for your subs ( or the built in crossover if they have them). Or if you don't want to run your mains rull range use a crossover to send the lowest frequencies to the subs and the rest to the mains.

This is what I am doing.