My new RC5 s - whoa Nellie!

ChuckS

My new RC5 s - whoa Nellie!
« on: 23 Mar 2007, 11:21 am »
 I just got my new speakers from Rick last night, so I'll post a LOT more later.
My initial impressions are: WOW!!!!!!!
 I am hearing everything - from the overtone rings of cymbals to a bass that (finally!) sounds as tight and full and articulate as I've heard from a speaker - with music I've heard hundreds of times before. I dreamed about them all night, that's what a huge impression they made on my subconcious!
 Allright, this is just a tease, but more in a couple of weeks after I burn my ears in completely  :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: My new RC5 s - whoa Nellie!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2007, 01:20 am »
I just got my new speakers from Rick last night, so I'll post a LOT more later.
My initial impressions are: WOW!!!!!!!
 I am hearing everything - from the overtone rings of cymbals to a bass that (finally!) sounds as tight and full and articulate as I've heard from a speaker - with music I've heard hundreds of times before. I dreamed about them all night, that's what a huge impression they made on my subconcious!
 Allright, this is just a tease, but more in a couple of weeks after I burn my ears in completely  :thumb:

Hope you're enjoying your vacation. In the meantime I posted some pictures of what you'll be looking forward to hearing when you return. Here's the link to one of the pictures : http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=299&pos=46

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2007, 02:18 am »
Rick you do amazing work. The tanzinites i have still amaze me with the sound i can only guess what the rc5 's sound like Is there any chance of them in a kit down the road???

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:40 pm »
Rick you do amazing work. The tanzinites i have still amaze me with the sound i can only guess what the rc5 's sound like Is there any chance of them in a kit down the road???

I could do that.

ChuckS

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2007, 11:57 am »
I've been listening to these amazing speakers for 20 days now, and listening a lot!
I'm sorry - I'm absolutely struggling for words to describe these to you folks.
What I said at first still holds true, amazing bass, plentiful and beautiful mids, and highs unlike any I've experienced before: very detailed and extended, very accurate (compared to real instruments in the same room) - yet not AT ALL in your face or fatiguing.
 A lot of sound out of these - best for a big room, wonderful for mine.
I feel like I'm finally hearing what my equipment is capable of- hey, does that make these "reference"?

Okay, so you know I'm not on the payroll - one complaint: the grills cover the entire beautiful face, and diminish the upper end. I need to protect those woofers, so I cut down the original grills. I'll try to post a pic in the next couple....

jono2channel

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2007, 05:16 am »
"I feel like I'm finally hearing what my equipment is capable of"

Hey Chuck

I am glad that you like your new toys. I am thinking about these as well. I am curious. What equipment do you have "up-stream" from the RC5's, and what other speakers do you have experience with that you might be able to compare them to?

ChuckS

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2007, 11:18 am »
Oh yeah, I forgot to rave about the" holographic" and "soundstaging" qualities of these speakers! The best - and I mean that - that I have heard (anywhere!).

Components:
SimAudio Andromeda CDP
SimAudio P-8 pre amp
Roque Zeus amp - nos driver tubes
Nordost SPM throughout
Running Springs power cond.

Previous speakers in this system:
Ohm 5
Gallo ref 3.1
PMC OB-1 (went to my work)
Salk HT-3 (went in the living room)

klh

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2007, 09:53 pm »
Replacing the Salk HT-3 is high praise! That says a lot for Rick's work :D.

ChuckS

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2007, 02:24 am »
Just to clarify: the Salks were not REPLACED. They were moved to a room situation much better situated to their size.
Jim and Rick are both fine people, and I don't say that lightly or often. They both make most excellent products - I wish I could say that more often! Their approaches are from different angles.
If these are the types of choices one must make, then life is wonderful, indeed.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2007, 04:58 pm »
Just to clarify: the Salks were not REPLACED. They were moved to a room situation much better situated to their size.
Jim and Rick are both fine people, and I don't say that lightly or often. They both make most excellent products - I wish I could say that more often! Their approaches are from different angles.
If these are the types of choices one must make, then life is wonderful, indeed.

Thanks for your kind words.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2007, 05:02 pm »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I couldn't agree more with your comments.

George

ChuckS

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2007, 01:36 am »
2 more great points about these speakers:

1.Rick, by virtue of his design, has come up with GREAT dispersion - both horizontally and vertically - for an MTM design! This is something I asked about before buying, because some designs (like the Gallo refs) suffer greatly in this area.

2. I'm a professional woodworker (going on 27 years); I'm certainly jaded. This figured eucalyptus is some of the most beautiful veneer I have ever seen. Get it while it's available!