Speaker Comparison

Trafford

Speaker Comparison
« on: 22 Mar 2007, 07:59 pm »
Can anyone compare the A/V-1's to the RAW RAV1X and the Onix X-LS SWG? If I build the A/V-1's and the RAV1X's they would compare in price to the x-ls SWG. I believe that Danny has some part in the design of all three of these speakers and I was hoping for some input from him.

I would like to use a pair of one of these speakers in a two channel setup with a Onix XCD-99 and one of the class D amps, perhaps the X-empower.

I would love to try doing the building but I'm not sure how much "free time" I may be able to find right now, hence the inclusion of the x-ls SWG.

I listen to a lot of new age music, as well as jazz, blues and some classic rock. I looking for a small monitor with clean highs and tight bass that doesn't need to go too low or play too loud. I plan to mount them on sand filled stands on spikes. The room is large with a cathedral ceiling and hardwood floors.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Danny Richie

Re: Speaker Comparison
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2007, 09:49 pm »
Can anyone compare the A/V-1's to the RAW RAV1X

They are similar, but the RAV-1 will use the M-130X woofer with the XBL^ motor. It will lower the distortion in the lower ranges and offer more X-max. The real difference is the sense of air and delicate detail levels that you can only get from a ribbon tweeter. The RAV-1 takes it all up a notch.

and the Onix X-LS SWG?

I haven't built it yet. We are still awaiting the wave guided tweeter.

Trafford

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2007, 01:21 pm »
Thanks Danny, I appreciate the information.

Based on what I've seen on th eAV123 forum it appears the x-ls SWG will have the M165x woofer the SWG tweeter. I assume that it should have a lower bottom end than the RAV1X and highs that are not quite as airy. Do you think that is a reasonable guess as to how these two speakers will compare?

I am trying to make a decision on these two speakers in the next week so I can take advantage of the sale prices before they disappear. I have a feeling I can't go wrong with either one but I would like to pick the one that will best meet my two channel preferences. I was leaning towards the RAV1X but I was a little aprehensive since this would be my first foray into the diy world.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2007, 03:53 pm »
Based on what I've seen on th eAV123 forum it appears the x-ls SWG will have the M165x woofer the SWG tweeter. I assume that it should have a lower bottom end than the RAV1X and highs that are not quite as airy. Do you think that is a reasonable guess as to how these two speakers will compare?

Until I have built them both I really can't compare them.

From an objective standpoint the M-165X will play lower in an optimal ported enclosure, but if the M-165X is used in that design it will not be in a 1 cubic foot box. It will be in about half of that air space and tuned to a level that will put it's -3db down point pretty close tot he RAV-1.

I have a feeling I can't go wrong with either one but I would like to pick the one that will best meet my two channel preferences. I was leaning towards the RAV1X but I was a little aprehensive since this would be my first foray into the diy world.

I wouldn't be apprehensive about DIY. It is not that hard and you will have a lot of support along the way should you need it.

Trafford

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2007, 04:19 pm »
Thanks for the info regarding how the M165x will be used.

As you can tell I'm kind of new to all of this. Usually I read a lot of reviews, listen to what everyone thinks is good and then let my ears pick the best one in my price range. I never even thought about diy until I saw this site and read about the great results people are getting and all for a much nicer price.

My apprehension with diy is the speaker box, primarily the application of the veneer. A painted box will just not fly and I have never done anything like that before. I want to use these speakers in the livingroom and they have to get the approval of "the boss". That means an oak finish to go with the furniture. I guess the best way to learn is by doing.

From your comments, I am now leaning towards the RAV1X. If I order the front baffle with the kit that should make things a lot easier.

I really appreciate your help.

RAW

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2007, 05:15 pm »
The RAV1X is a very nice monitor.You will have a good time building the finished speakers.
Really veneer is not that bad.All the details is what shows.Take you time and I can walk anyone threw veneering cabinets.
Even rounded corners are not that hard.

Never mind thinking veneer is hard just open your mind ask a few questions if they are directed to myself or any other woodworkers you will get some hint.

I have a PDF made on veneering the RA8 and would be happy to pass on this photo PDF to you showing how to do the veneer.

You will need 1 router bit as a min and that is this bit here.
We use these bit as they are made by Whiteside and they have a better router bit than Freud and many others.For a far price.You want to use the 28C bit not the round bottom bit.

Cost $7.60 and you will have this bit for a long time.As this bit is solid  carbide you just use a sharpening stone on this and the bit will last many sets of speakers.

Now this bit is used for cutting out the driver holes,terminal cup and port hole after you veneer the cabinet.
Just drill a 3/8" hole or around that size andplace the bit threw the hole and then trim the veneer to the driver hole.
Once you are at the driver cut out set the depth of thebit to match each driver cut out (flush mounted drivers)
Trim the veneer and do not push hard.This bit are any bit will cut MDF or any other material you buildthe cabinet out of if you push to hard!

You want to see someones first veneer project with a wrap veneer.
Ask Danny.I walked him threw the veneering of the first pair of OB7 that went to RMAF.

Like I said feel free to ask any questions about the veneering.Just drop me a PM or Email.

Trafford

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2007, 05:35 pm »
Thanks for the offer of the help with the veneer.

I will probably order the kit next week. Depending on my spring workload of "honey-do's" I should be able to start building the cabinet in the next couple of weeks. That will give me time to do some internet research and assembly the tools I will need.

I plan to drive these speakers with an NAD amp or the Onix X-empower, assuming it comes out in the next month or two. The source will be my NAD tuner or my Onix XCD-99. Considering this associated equipment, would I hear a significant difference with the crossover upgrade?

RAW

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2007, 05:57 pm »
The RAV1X kit includesSonicap and Gen II by-pass caps.
Does it make sense to upgrade to the platinum by-pass caps.
Well that is open topic but the best of what we offer is the Sonicap with platinum by-pass caps.
The platinum by-pass caps you will find in a lot of upgraded speakers as well as amps.Such as Gary Dodds amps,Response Audio,Bolder Cable justto name a few uses these platinum caps.
What I am saying is people who want the best that are available purchase the Platinum caps.
Will you hear a difference.I can not make that call.

Regular price $479.99 PROMO sale priced $399.99 (delivery April 15)

:: 2- M-130X XBL^2  5.25" drivers
:: 2- RA104.5 ribbon tweeters
:: Sonicap capacitors, Sonicap Gen II bypass capacitors, Alpha-Core inductors, Mills resistors (Platinum bi-pass caps are available as a options listed below)
:: CNC baffles and magnetic grill can be purchased as a option
:: Custom RAW terminal cups, ports, wire, screws,polyfil (RAW ICE see options listed below)
:: cabinet construction plans,crossover layout plans
:: Recommended cabinet dimensions:
   12" h x 8" w x 11.625" d.
:: Sensitivity 87 db (1watt/1m)
:: Recommended amplification 20-100 watts RMS
:: Impedance 8 ohms nominal

Trafford

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2007, 06:45 pm »
Thanks for the response.

When will the promo price end?

RAW