Sig 30 for two pairs of Visaton B200s... parallel or series?

texendo

I've finally got a second pair of B200s on the way to augment the pair I currently drive with my Sig 30 in open baffle.  I'm pretty sure I remember a couple people driving the speakers in such a setup (3ohms?), but I can't remember if you're supposed to wire them in parallel or in series.  I plan on using an inductor on the lower driver and running the top driver in full range (as I now do).  I know at least a couple of you out there can shed some light on this small problem, so thank you in advance  : )

mcgsxr

Re: Sig 30 for two pairs of Visaton B200s... parallel or series?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2007, 07:20 pm »
I am not sure how you SHOULD run them, but if the end result is 3ohm, then they are in parallel.

If it was 12ohm, it was series.

I would guess parallel.

texendo

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2007, 07:26 pm »
OK, thanks.  So now on to the next stupid question:  parallel means the neg lead of the first speaker has a lead to the neg lead of the second speaker, and the pos lead to the pos lead, right?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2007, 07:27 pm »
Hi Texendo,

You'll have to go parallel if you plan on using an inductor in front of one of the drivers.  If you do this and wire the drivers in series, you will LPF both speakers  :o

You'll be ok running the two B200s in parallel with the Sig 30 (I've done this before)...you'll get max power this way.  The worst that can happen is that the Sig 30 will go into over-current protection mode (if you really, really crank it up  :rock:)... but you can reset it by turning it off and then on again.  I never had this happen to me when running two B200s in parallel.

OK, thanks.  So now on to the next stupid question:  parallel means the neg lead of the first speaker has a lead to the neg lead of the second speaker, and the pos lead to the pos lead, right?

Correct!

Keep us posted,

Vinnie

texendo

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2007, 08:04 pm »
Thanks, will do....