Classic British monitor speakers

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
Classic British monitor speakers
« on: 19 Mar 2007, 10:50 pm »
The thing I've missed the most about being an SET guy are those classic BBC monitors.  I know, most of them have benign impedances, but those sensitivity ratings are still a bit low for two watts per channel.  I currently have a pair of Spendor S20s and SP100s that are both being used in second systems.  But I still have a great love for Harbeth, Spendor, Rogers, etc...the LS3/5a, the HL-P3, the Monitor 30, the SP1/2, the BC1, the SP1, the LS5/9, the HL...I could go on and on.

I think the Harbeth Monitor 40 is my favorite loudspeaker right now.

Anyone here using some of these speakers?  Please feel free to post pics!

denjo

Re: Classic British monitor speakers
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2007, 02:17 am »
Yes, I'm using my beloved Rogers LS3/5a (15 ohm version) with my CARY 300SEI (8 watts of sublime power!) and the synergy is glorious! I have never had any issues with the volume but there again this is my second system in a small room and I never listen to music loud anyway! There is something very special about the Rogers LS3/5a even though some report that it has a bass hump. The midrange is its strength and vocals just seem so right and relaxed with the mini monitors. I have a pair of AXIOM Atoms in my office and although they are rated 90 dB into 8 ohms, they don't have the midrange magic which the Rogers has.

Thanks for your post! I am glad that British speakers are getting some publicity. I hope that others with chime in with their experiences as well!

Best Regards
Dennis

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2007, 02:47 am »
The first 'real' system I heard while in college featured the Chartwell version of the classic British monitor driven by a modded Dyna Pas4 and Stereo 70. It was fantastic. When I last bought speakers I really wanted to go w/ Spendor (really wanted the SP100, but couldn't afford them) I ended up w/ Merlin TSM-M, and while they are very, very good, I think I prefer the more euphonic sound of the Brit speakers. I'm sure I'll get them someday, unless I go the hi efficiency route.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2007, 06:21 pm »
It's strange that you talk about going either HE or British mini-monitors, which is what I did.  Objectively, it seems that the two approaches to sound are very different from one another, but I had very little trouble making the transition from a Naim/Spendor type of sound to SETs and high-efficiency speakers.  I know from going back and forth between the two sounds that I could easily pick one or the other to live with for the rest of my life, which is a rare thing in audio, with all of these people talking about accuracy and fidelity and one true sound.  I believe that many types of sound are enjoyable, even if they depart significantly from neutrality.

The classic BBC monitor seems to be disappearing somewhat.  Sure, Harbeth is selling speakers as fast as they can make them, and models such as the Monitor 40 and Monitor 20 are rare birds in the US since there's a long waiting list for them.  But Spendor seems to be struggling a lot lately, and they do seem to be phasing out their Classic Line in favor of their new line of tall, slim floorstanders that to my ears lack some of that famous midrange magic.  The prices in the Classic line are skyrocketing to the point where I doubt they're selling very many anymore.  Spendor SP100s are now selling for $6995 a pair, which is insane.  When I bought mine in 1998, they retailed for $3450, but I got a special deal because they were a review pair.  I paid just $2400.  At $7K, the SP100 is no longer competitive.  It used to be said that the SP100s were the second greatest British speaker, next to Quad ESLs.  But the Quads were much more expensive back then.  Now, the prices are getting pretty close.

The prices of Harbeths are getting kind of crazy, too.  The newest version of the Compact 7, which just came out, is $3000 per pair.  Just a couple of years ago they were $1995, and were a bargain.  Now, the little "shoebox-sized" HL-P3 is $2000.  And I remember the Monitor 40s being around $6000 per pair when I first heard of them three or four years ago.  Now they're $10,000.  Yes, they're one of my very favorite speakers in the world, but at $6K I had a chance of owning a pair one day.  Not now.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2007, 06:54 pm by vinyl anachronist »

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2007, 02:28 am »
I love the LS3/5a's, always have!

That's pretty cool you are getting results with an SET amp.  Going to have to
try that!

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2007, 06:31 pm »
I love the LS3/5a's, always have!

That's pretty cool you are getting results with an SET amp.  Going to have to
try that!

I've always wondered about those 11 and 16 ohm impedances...

denjo

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2007, 02:13 am »
Its not the impedances you should worry about since the larger the numeric impedance, the easier it is to drive the speakers. Its the 82 dB sensitivity which most are more concerned with. There are various LS3/5a forums which you can visit, simply google. You will be pleasantly surprised how many LS3/5a owners are pairing them with SETs. I was a doubting Thomas until I stepped into a showroom and personally heard the Cary 300SEI with LS3/5as (11 ohm version). It was an indelible experience that left me wondering how 8 conservative watts could drive the LS3/5a's. Well, as they say, truth is stranger than fiction and I would earnestly urge you to give this combo a listen. if the opportunity is available!

Let us know if you do have that chance!

Best regards
Dennis

denjo

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2007, 02:27 am »
Here is one link, from Wavelength Audio no less, with suggestions of low efficiency speakers which work well with low-powered SETs:

http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/speaker.html

Best Regards
Dennis

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2007, 03:31 am »
Its not the impedances you should worry about since the larger the numeric impedance, the easier it is to drive the speakers. Its the 82 dB sensitivity which most are more concerned with. There are various LS3/5a forums which you can visit, simply google. You will be pleasantly surprised how many LS3/5a owners are pairing them with SETs. I was a doubting Thomas until I stepped into a showroom and personally heard the Cary 300SEI with LS3/5as (11 ohm version). It was an indelible experience that left me wondering how 8 conservative watts could drive the LS3/5a's. Well, as they say, truth is stranger than fiction and I would earnestly urge you to give this combo a listen. if the opportunity is available!

Let us know if you do have that chance!

Best regards
Dennis

That's what I meant when I mentioned 11 and 15 ohms...

I used to run my 84 dB sensitive Spendor S20s with a Naim NAIT 2, which had around 18 wpc.  The reason it worked was because of the S20's steady 8 ohm impedance.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2007, 03:33 am »
Here is one link, from Wavelength Audio no less, with suggestions of low efficiency speakers which work well with low-powered SETs:

http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/speaker.html

Best Regards
Dennis

I've seen that list before, but unfortunately it's from 2000.  There have been many high-sensitivity speakers introduced since then, such as Zu, Omega...

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2007, 12:06 am »
I'm fortunate enough to own both Harbeth Monitor 30 and Monitor 40. I've powered them with a 60 watt/ch. tube amp and 200/ch. SS amp during the time I've owned them. The thing that stands out most with these speakers is I can listen to them with either SS or tubes, not so with other speakers I've owned. I do prefer tubes but I think one could live with SS as well and be happy.
The rooms I have them in are small so power is not an issue. Alan Shaw has mentioned over and over that the power issue that many non-owners refer to is ridiculous. He has his own newsgroup where he responds to questions on a daily basis and he's quite candid and not afraid to address most issues.
A lot of Harbeth owners previously owned Quad's. The main reason, they both produce a beautiful midband that few can equal, however Harbeth (M40) offers more weight and is flatter in response throughout the entire frequency range. :thumb:

Zero

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2007, 12:15 am »
As mentioned in the NAIM thread - rockin' the Spendor SP 3/1P's.  They make good music!  :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2007, 03:26 am »
Hi Frank:

Good to see you out here, welcome....

Harbeths are great speakers, and our man Joe Nino-Hernes just got done
reviewing the small ones for the next issue.  I got a chance to give em
a listen to break them in while I was taking the photos.

Very nice!

And for those of you who don't know about the Vinyl Addict, he
is a freind from the Steve Hoffman Music Forum and is the
manufacturer of the Groovetracer line of upgrades for Rega
turntables.

If you have a minute, I highly suggest you go to www.groovetracer.com
and take a look.

Frank's stuff is great if you are a Rega owner looking for more performance.
I use it all on my P25 and it gets TONE's highest recommendation!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2007, 04:45 am »

And for those of you who don't know about the Vinyl Addict, he
is a freind from the Steve Hoffman Music Forum and is the
manufacturer of the Groovetracer line of upgrades for Rega
turntables.

If you have a minute, I highly suggest you go to www.groovetracer.com
and take a look.
I think he needs to note that in his signature..... :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2007, 03:26 pm »
'Tis as WolfyChris says....Frank/Vinyl-Addict please attach your website to your signature and or add a www tag to as well so that all the members recognize that they are speaking with someone with commercial interests.

We most happily welcome you here (especially myself as Moderator over at the Vinyl Circle), we just require full disclosure in such matters.

A copy of this is being PM'ed to you, as well.

Many thanks,

John / TheChairGuy

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2007, 04:55 pm »
'Tis as WolfyChris says....Frank/Vinyl-Addict please attach your website to your signature and or add a www tag to as well so that all the members recognize that they are speaking with someone with commercial interests.

We most happily welcome you here (especially myself as Moderator over at the Vinyl Circle), we just require full disclosure in such matters.

A copy of this is being PM'ed to you, as well.

Many thanks,

John / TheChairGuy

Thank you all! I do not post much at all but I have been a member here since 2004. As you can see, I don't mention my business and have no intention of breaking any rules. :)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2007, 05:05 pm »
Frank,

Whether or not you mention your business (however profitable it is or isn't doesn't matter at all), we ask that industry professionals have a clear sign-off with (at least) their website address and your role/position with the company.

All are welcome to AudioCircle - we just want clear differentiation between dealers/manufacturers for the mostly lay membership.

I hope you understand - it's good for your business and good, likewise, for general membership to know who they are dealing with at all times.

Thank you!

John / TCG

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #17 on: 1 Apr 2007, 05:58 am »
I'm fortunate enough to own both Harbeth Monitor 30 and Monitor 40. I've powered them with a 60 watt/ch. tube amp and 200/ch. SS amp during the time I've owned them. The thing that stands out most with these speakers is I can listen to them with either SS or tubes, not so with other speakers I've owned. I do prefer tubes but I think one could live with SS as well and be happy.
The rooms I have them in are small so power is not an issue. Alan Shaw has mentioned over and over that the power issue that many non-owners refer to is ridiculous. He has his own newsgroup where he responds to questions on a daily basis and he's quite candid and not afraid to address most issues.
A lot of Harbeth owners previously owned Quad's. The main reason, they both produce a beautiful midband that few can equal, however Harbeth (M40) offers more weight and is flatter in response throughout the entire frequency range. :thumb:

Hey, Frank!  Good to see you!

Joe Nino-Hernes

• Simplisitc Recording Concepts
« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2007, 03:03 am »
I love my Harbeth HL-P3ES-2's! When I get out of school and start building my studio, I really want a pair of Monitor 30's or better yet, Monitor 40's if they go back into production.

TONEPUB

« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2007, 06:55 am »
Hey Joe:

Good to see you here too!  Thanks for stopping by...