is possible the same quality of gk1 on the one line of TLP?

giorgio

Why GK1 is superior to TLP??

i need only one line and i research for the same superb performance of the gk1 preamp on the TLP.
So what upgrade to TLP for performances near GK1?

P.S.: I want to build the best TLP i can and so with a very quality volume pot and blak gates for caps.

Thanks
Giorgio

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2003, 12:44 pm »
Giorgio,

Thank you for your post.

In short, no.  The TLP can never quite match the GK-1.

Reason:  the GK-1 has a differential power supply circuit which draws constant current from the power supply at low frequency.  This means that as the signal output slowly moves up and down, the counterbalancing power supply shunt element moves down and up, and the currents sum to a constant.  This gives very tight bass and a perception of speed and agility which is difficult to match with any other design.

However, this counterbalancing power supply principle reduces the emotional engagement at the middle and higher frequencies, so it is progressively reduced with frequency so that by 10KHz the audio tube is fed from a high impedance power supply, giving that marvellous tube romance we love.

The TLP does not have this additional circuitry.  It's good, but the GK-1 has imaging, bass and dynamic qualities which are clearly much better.

I hope this explains the difference.  It's not so simple!

Cheers,

Hugh

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2003, 04:55 pm »
Hi Giorgio
I totally agree with Hugh.
I had a TLP. I made it the best I could, with DACT stepped attenuator and Auricaps for capacitors. It is very good.
I then built a GK-1. I again used the DACT and Auricaps. The GK-1 is a step above the TLP.
Dynamics, imaging, height and emotional involvement are much better in the GK-1.