Monster Mensa Tweak pt2

witchdoctor

Monster Mensa Tweak pt2
« on: 23 Jul 2003, 02:55 am »
I mentioned that the ultimate triple point cones from Mapleshade were as effective an upgrade on my Mensa dac as any of the previous upgrades I have done. I decided to see what would happen if I tried them on the outboard power supply Wayne offers.
I set the power supply on 3 large brass cones that are sitting points up, just like the dac. I experimented by:
1) rotating the dac 90 degrees to hear which sounds best at Pierre from Mapleshades suggestion. Something about EMF fields, and yes, you can hear a difference.
I then tried a small brass weight on top called a heavy hat followed by it's larger big brother. The large one sounded best in my set up.

If you want to see your Mensa get a set of cajones try this tweak. It gripped the bass and exhibited iron fisted control. It really stood out on acoustic recordings where the bass is not a prominent instrument by bringing it more into focus, but was unflappable with cuts like Vogue from Madonna.
The sound stage is even bigger than before and voices , piano and strings have a palpability you can nearly touch.
This sound truly magnifies the genius that is Wayne. I never knew I could get this type of sound in my system. It's like the Mensa was a ballon that was tied to the ground, these tweaks really let's it fly. If you have doubts there is a 30 day return policy to test it.

JoshK

Monster Mensa Tweak pt2
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2003, 03:07 am »
I have said it before, the mapleshade cones took my XA777 to another level, more than any cables (sorry) has.  The extremitites really came to life with the cones.

Jay S

Monster Mensa Tweak pt2
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2003, 03:14 am »
I'll have to try some cones.  I can get no-name / other brand brass cones here in Hong Kong.  Has anyone compared different brass cones and found much of a difference?

JackStraw

Re: Monster Mensa Tweak pt2
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2003, 03:25 am »
Quote from: witchdoctor
I mentioned that the ultimate triple point cones from Mapleshade were as effective an upgrade on my Mensa dac as any of the previous upgrades I have done. I decided to see what would happen if I tried them on the outboard power supply Wayne offers.
I set the power supply on 3 large brass cones that are sitting points up, just like the dac. I experimented by:
1) rotating the dac 90 degrees to hear which sounds best at Pierre from Mapleshades suggestion. Something about EMF fields, and yes, you can hear a d ...

I think in a separate post you mentioned using the Eighth Nerve nerve endings... have you compared the Mapleshade cones to those under the DAC?

witchdoctor

Monster Mensa Tweak pt2
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2003, 03:47 am »
Good question. The brass cones from Mapleshade that I use are 2 1/2 "
tall and 2" in diameter. They seem to weigh around a pound. They are much to large to fit in my equipment rack beneath my larger components.
The nerve endings I got are 3/4" tall and 1" in diameter. They have a small hole at the large flat end and are hollowed out at the narrow end. This allows you to remove the stock feet  from a component and replace them with these using the stock screws. Different concept, similar effect.
I have not a/b tested the two but both have made a significant improvement.
I would say having as much or more than an impact as cables is a fair statement.
Again, vendor Bill Laurents comments on my system are posted on the 8th Nerve site for more info on the Nerve Endings.
Brass kicks ass!!!
I look forward to his return for round 2.
PS- You can experiment with the placement of the power supply without the cones. Just try rotating it 90 degrees to see when it sounds best.

Wayne1

Monster Mensa Tweak pt2
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2003, 02:20 pm »
Another great tweak by Witchdoctor :D

I have found isolation devices to work better for me than coupling.

In a comparison over a year ago, Jason and I listened to the Levitator and the Aurios. The Levitator was a far better sounding unit. It also looks really cool!

I think it would be neat to do a comparison between cones and isolation systems in different systems. I no longer sell the Levitator but they can be obtained from Danny at GR Research

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Monster Mensa Tweak pt2
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2003, 03:00 am »
I tried spikes under my Mensa, and I do not hear any difference.  Oh well, it was worth a shot.

audiojerry

Monster Mensa Tweak pt2
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2003, 02:14 pm »
I formerly used various cones like Black Diamond, and I agree with Wayne - isolation devices work better. I currently use Aurios (older model) Isolation Bearings, but unless you have your component perfectly balanced and centered over the bearings, which isn't easy with power cords and interconnects pulling on the back, they are useless.

I'd be very interested in trying the Levitator.  I wonder when Wayne compared the Levitator to the Aurios if he had the test component perfectly balanced.