30 years of audio merry-go-round have led to this!

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
30 years of audio merry-go-round have led to this!
« on: 14 Mar 2007, 08:33 pm »
Having owned at least one of every componet ever made [well, it feels like that anyway :)], I finally promised my wife I would assemble one last system and stick with it for a minimum of five years. She is very tolerant of my constant gear swapping but does believe I'm insane. As always, she's probably right. Anyway, I am currently listening to a system that, while far from the most expensive I've ever owned, none the less makes music so beautiful it could make the lame walk and the blind see. Well, ok, it just sounds great. Remembering items that have come and gone through the house over the last 15 years or so, here's what I ended up with.
Rega Mira3
Rega Apollo
Rega P3
Dynavector 10x5
Triangle Antal ESW
I originally had Spendor S5e's hooked up to this system but ran into a couple problems. The Spendor's sounded wonderful with the Rega gear but it was clear they wanted a bit more juice than the Rega could provide. My room is also rather large. In a smaller room, the Spendor/Rega combination would have lived happy ever after. My biggest suprize was the Antal's. I had owned the Celius a few years back and really liked them with the exception of the bass response. Triangle seems to have fixed this problem. I'd say the current Antal goes down at least to 40hz in my room while still maintaining the fast, tight Triangle sound. All in all, I think it's a better speaker than the Celius of a few years back was. The re-designed tweeter in the current Triangle's is also greatly improved. Not in the least bit bright yet still laser fast with amazing detail. The Rega's? Well, a stack of Rega electronics seems to be greater then the sum of it's parts. There is a synergy they produce when used together that, in my opinion, can more than hold it's own against some pretty spendy stuff. I may swap the Dynavector out for a Rega Exact just to maintain the Rega theme. I think I can be happy with this system over the long haul. While not exactly a budget system, I think it smacks up against the law of diminishing returns so hard, I can't imagine anyone really wanting more. Anyone around the Baltimore area is welcome to come by and give it a spin. This system rocks!

peakrchau

• http://www.angelfire.com/ca/rchau/audio.html
Re: 30 years of audio merry-go-round have led to this!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2007, 11:36 am »
...here's what I ended up with.
Rega Mira3
Rega Apollo
Rega P3
Dynavector 10x5
Triangle Antal ESW

...The Rega's? Well, a stack of Rega electronics seems to be greater then the sum of it's parts. There is a synergy they produce when used together that, in my opinion, can more than hold it's own against some pretty spendy stuff....

How about them Rega speakers to complete the "Reganess" of it all?

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2007, 12:02 pm »
Merle,

I wish you tidings of great joy.  :thumb:

Last summer I put together a similar system - only I used the Rega R1's instead of the Triangle's. The goal was similar, to build a secondary (or third-ary?) rig that was simple, inexpensive, musically pleasing, and something that I could live with for an extended period of time. It was great. Yep, thats past tense. Unfortunately the disease (eg; my lack of discipline) came in full force and here I am many components later..!

Still - Rega, when matched with the right speakers, can be very pleasing and is not to be under-estimated!

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2007, 12:11 pm »
I already owned the Spendor's when I started the Rega thing. I was interested in the Rega speakers but my dealer didn't have any in store. Once it became obvious that the little Spendors were not the best match, my dealer was more than generous, allowing me to swap the Spendors straight up for his Antal floor samples. I have nothing bad to say about the Spendors, they are just wonderful speakers. It's just that in my room, with the 60 watt Mira, the Antal's are a MUCH better fit. People seem to either love or hate the Triangle sound. I find it, through the Rega's, to be fast, full and detailed. I seem to have a preference for metal tweeters.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2007, 02:57 pm »
I saw you sell a lot of things the past year, Merle, I was wondering what you were up to. I thought maybe you were ditching audio-phooldom for good  :o

I had all my gear packed up for 6 years (1994-2000), knowing full well the distraction they were, while I built a business and concentrated on family.  I can't say I was at all depressed during that period because of it....but I'm a little happier now with a good system (albeit not at all expensive) here.

But, the price you pay for your system seems to have vanishingly little to do with enjoyment.  And, generally, as you pay less the system gets simpler (less boxes, less BIG boxes) and somehow makes it all a bit more enjoyable.  Especially when you take some of those savings and fund your retirement plans with the balance  :)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2007, 04:11 pm »
Merle,

May I come by and have a listen if you still have it next month?

Merle

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2007, 04:44 pm »
Woodsyi, assuming you are being a little tongue in cheek, you are more than welcome anytime to give it a listen. Even with my track record, I can assure you it will be here for the long term. I could always buy "better" but I believe I'm finally ready to settle down long term and this one does the trick for me. I see your dumping albums. Come on up and we can pair my collection down a little more! I think there are still some Bach lp's left! :)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2007, 05:01 pm »
Merle,

I was a little TIC but I am curious.  :wink:  I want to know why you like this more than the Spendors.  I will get in touch with you for early April.

Merle

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2007, 05:34 pm »
Woodsyi. You've seen my basement. While I think the little Spendors were/are wonderful speakers, they are a good bit small for a room the size of my basement. With the 60 watt Mira, I was turning the volume knob up about 3/4 of the way to get the volume I like to listen, which by the way, isn't that loud. In a small room I think they would be just about perfect and I think they should have at least around 100 wpc or more. The Triangle's are MUCH easier to drive. Volume at 12 o'clock is louder than I care to listen to. Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that I prefer metal dome tweeters over soft domes. Purely a matter of taste. Maybe at 47, my ears need the extra sharpness that metal domes can provide. Other than volume, the Triangles can do other things the Spendors just can't. Bass response for example. The Antals go at least 10hz or more deeper than the Spendors can. They are, in my opinion, just as "musical" as the Spendors. The tweeter in the Antals is a very good one. They also have really improved the bass over the prior version. The bass in fairly deep and tight as a drum. If you haven't heard the current Triangles, I think you might be suprised at the quality of sound they produce at the price. All in all, I think they are not just good for the money but just a very good speaker, period. I'd love to have you drop by and get your opinion of them. Their nothing like what I've seen and heard in your basement but the sound is excellent all the same. Just a different flavor. Come on up!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2007, 09:40 pm »
I finally promised my wife I would assemble one last system and stick with it for a minimum of five years.

Famous last words. :wink:  FIVE YEARS is a long time. :o  You might want to stay away from all audio related websites, forums, and shops.  And whatever you do don't look at any magazines and be sure to choose your friends carefully. Maybe take up a new hobby, ideally one that involves the wife and kids and you're more likely to keep that promise.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2007, 02:22 am »
Good luck Merle with the new system.....hope it works out for the long haul. :thumb:
Now let me ask you something....I've not heard Triangle speakers, but I have read the reviews. From checking out their site, seems like some nice products...and they have been around awhile. Would you think that a 20 watt tube amp would work well with the Triangle Antal ESW ? Thanks....

Chris

Merle

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2007, 10:31 am »
Hi Chris. I think a 20 watt tube amp would be fine with the Antals. They also have the ability to sound full and rich playing at low volumes. They just don't need a lot of juice to get going.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2007, 04:32 pm »
Hi Chris. I think a 20 watt tube amp would be fine with the Antals. They also have the ability to sound full and rich playing at low volumes. They just don't need a lot of juice to get going.
Thanks Merle.... :thumb: