Poll

Do I need big buck equiment to make them sound good?

6.8 DRIVERS
1 (33.3%)
open baffle design
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

6.8 inch drivers from diycable.com

phil25

6.8 inch drivers from diycable.com
« on: 14 Mar 2007, 07:14 pm »
Hello everyone new to this forum. I have a couple questions for everyone. Do the 6.8's need a big buck source to sound good or will they sound good with receivers? I also am thinking about a open baffle design with the b.g. neo 8 tweeter crossed over at 850Hz. Well that's it. I just wanted to know what you guys think. 8)

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: 6.8 inch drivers from diycable.com
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2007, 07:39 pm »
What are your intentions for the speaker you intend to build?  Stereo listening? Home theatre?  A little of both?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2007, 08:31 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.   

We talked on the phone but I thought I'd comment here also.    The problem with selling raw drivers is that it is difficult to tell anyone how they are going to sound outside of the context of the complete design (box, crossover etc..).   

I don't like selling raw drivers for that reason.   Unless it is someone with measurement gear and the knowledge of how to use it, giving them a raw driver is often a poor choice for getting good results.   The design of a speaker is more important than the components.   You can use the best most expensive tires in the world on your Ford Pinto and it will still be a Ford Pinto.   

Let me know your general price range and I'll make some suggestions for finished designs.   You can either build a kit or just buy a finished loudspeaker.   If you like that "dipole" sound then there are several solutions but the design of that type of loudspeaker is not a trivial task.   It can be an expensive experiment and I'd feel much more comfortable sending you toward a design that is done and we know works rather than getting you into trouble with a pile of parts that doesn't.

phil25

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2007, 08:33 pm »
ALL the above my friend aa

What are your intentions for the speaker you intend to build?  Stereo listening? Home theatre?  A little of both?

phil25

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2007, 08:41 pm »
Sounds good. I like that talk of not spending alot of money. Right now I have $300.00 Dollars to spend or more. If I need to save up and buy the tweeters then o.k. I am fine with that. Your so right about the equipment I do not have any at all. I would like to do the dipole design liked talked on the phone. 2 6.8 drivers per. cabnet. The tweeter would go in the middle. I should be able to buy all 4 of your 6.8's.
I have binding post and The wire can get Thur you as well. the cabnets we be simple. Now the crossovers are alittle trickyer to do as we talked about. Well that's it for now. If you can give me a link to that open baffle design we talked about cool. If you can help me out in any way please jump in. Thanks again for spending your time and answering all my questions. Jeff

Welcome to Audio Circle.   

We talked on the phone but I thought I'd comment here also.    The problem with selling raw drivers is that it is difficult to tell anyone how they are going to sound outside of the context of the complete design (box, crossover etc..).   

I don't like selling raw drivers for that reason.   Unless it is someone with measurement gear and the knowledge of how to use it, giving them a raw driver is often a poor choice for getting good results.   The design of a speaker is more important than the components.   You can use the best most expensive tires in the world on your Ford Pinto and it will still be a Ford Pinto.   

Let me know your general price range and I'll make some suggestions for finished designs.   You can either build a kit or just buy a finished loudspeaker.   If you like that "dipole" sound then there are several solutions but the design of that type of loudspeaker is not a trivial task.   It can be an expensive experiment and I'd feel much more comfortable sending you toward a design that is done and we know works rather than getting you into trouble with a pile of parts that doesn't.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2007, 09:22 pm »
There are several guys pretty happy with some single driver dipole designs.   I'm not a single driver kind of guy.   In my opinion you need more than one driver to cover the audible bandwidth correctly (low distortion, good bandwidth, good power response).

The only dipole solution I'd be comfortable pointing you toward would be Dan Wiggins design.   It is easy to build and well designed.   It also doesn't require multiple amps so you can get a dipole system without breaking the bank.   It uses a simple 12" x 48" baffle with a pair of Extremis mounted on each.   It uses the Neo3PDR with the rear-cup removed for dipole use.   

Looking over the crossover I'd replace those iron core inductors (9.0mH & 2.5mH) with Erse Super Q (16AWG is fine).   Otherwise build it to spec and you will get excellent results.    You need a healthy amp to drive these.   Dan says 100W but I'd double that number just to be safe.

Total build price should be in the $500/pr range.   The cabinet (if you can call it that) is about as easy to build as they come.   :wink: 

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DDRDipoleDesign.pdf

phil25

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2007, 04:28 am »
Sounds good. I wish  I would have found your web site sooner. Like I said I spent $110.00 or more for 12 feet of cable and 2 sets of binding post. I would have saved alot of money :cry: So thinks again if I need anything I will e-mail you.  :thumb: Thanks again for all your help. You found a customer for life. jm aa

There are several guys pretty happy with some single driver dipole designs.   I'm not a single driver kind of guy.   In my opinion you need more than one driver to cover the audible bandwidth correctly (low distortion, good bandwidth, good power response).

The only dipole solution I'd be comfortable pointing you toward would be Dan Wiggins design.   It is easy to build and well designed.   It also doesn't require multiple amps so you can get a dipole system without breaking the bank.   It uses a simple 12" x 48" baffle with a pair of Extremis mounted on each.   It uses the Neo3PDR with the rear-cup removed for dipole use.   

Looking over the crossover I'd replace those iron core inductors (9.0mH & 2.5mH) with Erse Super Q (16AWG is fine).   Otherwise build it to spec and you will get excellent results.    You need a healthy amp to drive these.   Dan says 100W but I'd double that number just to be safe.

Total build price should be in the $500/pr range.   The cabinet (if you can call it that) is about as easy to build as they come.   :wink: 

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DDRDipoleDesign.pdf