addition of subwoofer a hopeless endeavor?

texendo

addition of subwoofer a hopeless endeavor?
« on: 12 Mar 2007, 03:56 pm »
I got a pair of B200s on a homemade, winged baffle driven by a RedWineAudio Sig 30.  Although I'm quite enamored with the sound, I'm about to get to the point where I'd consider dabbling with a subwoofer.  I'd imagine spending around 1K$ on a used unit, but from the bits and pieces I've read, getting a subwoofer to integrate without destroying the magic of the b200s on OB seems to be somewhat of a pipedream.  I gather the unit should at least be a sealed one.  I'm not interested in a passive sub.  I'd really rather not build an OB sub, but is this necessary?  Any sorts of input would be greatly appreciated.

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
Re: addition of subwoofer a hopeless endeavor?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2007, 04:07 pm »
I have integrated a sub and I think it was succesful. I picked upa  MJ Acoustics Reference150 used for about $500 cad and it sounds quiet nice. Just get some test tones and make sure you don't have the sub go too loud. I have my OB's with a filter and I ended up crossing the sub at 45Hz and running OB's full range. Your results may vary.

JeffB

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2007, 12:29 am »
I have a sealed sub with 2 10" drivers.  It definitely makes the sound better, although the accuracy of the sub doesn't compare to that of the B200 in the overlapping region.
So I either need a better sub or I still plan on trying an open baffle sub.  In any case, I much, much, much prefer the sub I have in place compared to not having it in place.
It is an a/d/s SB-10 car sub box from around 1990.  I drive it with a JVC D201 digital amp.  For 1 day, I had a pair of Warrior 15" drivers playing in the open just on the ground.  These drivers are $20 each and I think I preferred the sound to my sub, although it did not go nearly as low.  Plus Johnincr said that I shouldn't play them this way, due to a NULL response region.

JohninCR

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2007, 02:33 am »
Texendo,

I'd suggest adding a pair of helper woofers with an inductor on each, and maybe even an Lpad.  Then all you have to do is cut another hole in each baffle.  I assure you that added OB bass will be welcome and easier to integrate, plus no separate amp required (Tamps don't have a problem with a lower impedance do they?).