Any thoughts or commments on Amy Winehouse?

SET Man

Re: Any thoughts or commments on Amy Winehouse?
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jan 2008, 11:06 pm »
Hey!

I've just watch the news and they says that she is checking in rehab now.  :roll:

Sadly sometime money and fame really could screw up people up  :shake:

Well, at least she is excepting her problem and willing to work on it. Wish her well :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #61 on: 25 Jan 2008, 04:02 am »
She probably only went to rehab to stay outta jail. What she really needs to change is her attitude,,,, the drugs are simply a reflection of that.  :thumbdown:  And to change her attitude, she'll probably have to lose a few of her "friends".  :thumb:

Been there, done that.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

TRM

« Reply #62 on: 25 Jan 2008, 05:58 pm »
If you like Amy I'd encourage you to give a listen to Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings "100 Days, 100 Nights". The Dap Kings are actually Winehouse's backing on her album and toured with her a bit.

Anyway I think Sharon is far more authentic than Amy and I'd encourage some of you to try out the album,
http://www.amazon.com/Days-Nights-Sharon-Jones-Kings/dp/B000UO75AY

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #63 on: 25 Jan 2008, 06:26 pm »
i am in no way disparaging your comments about sharon jones - i have never heard her.  but, i am not sure what you mean by her being "more authentic"?  more authentic what?  is amy not a real human?  is it not real music that she makes?  :scratch:

doug s.
If you like Amy I'd encourage you to give a listen to Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings "100 Days, 100 Nights". The Dap Kings are actually Winehouse's backing on her album and toured with her a bit.

Anyway I think Sharon is far more authentic than Amy and I'd encourage some of you to try out the album,

mcullinan

« Reply #64 on: 25 Jan 2008, 06:37 pm »

Authentic as in looking disheveled, smoking crack on camera, drunk out of your mind not giving a crap what you look like authentic? Do you think she is a poseur? hmm...
Mike

loki1957

« Reply #65 on: 25 Jan 2008, 07:45 pm »
this is like reading National Enquirer

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
« Reply #66 on: 25 Jan 2008, 08:01 pm »
I can't handle Amy Winehouse...they always play her "Rehab" song when I'm at the gym and it just put a sour taste in my ears. My roomate loves her...I don't quite see the draw...

TRM

« Reply #67 on: 25 Jan 2008, 08:30 pm »
i am in no way disparaging your comments about sharon jones - i have never heard her.  but, i am not sure what you mean by her being "more authentic"?  more authentic what?  is amy not a real human?  is it not real music that she makes?  :scratch:

doug s.

Yikes, try and turn some people on to a performer they may not have heard and watch out!

I find Sharon to be more of an authentic performer for the style of music. Sharon is a 51 year old African-American woman. Amy is talented but she's a young British girl. I thought you might be interested in hearing some soul/r&b from a master.

Authentic as in looking disheveled, smoking crack on camera, drunk out of your mind not giving a crap what you look like authentic? Do you think she is a poseur? hmm...
Mike

I can't even tell what point you are trying to make but umm, thanks.

I'd also recommend Bettye Levette's latest album http://www.amazon.com/Scene-Crime-Bettye-LaVette/dp/B000UGG3D2

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #68 on: 25 Jan 2008, 08:36 pm »

doug s.

I'm guessing by authentic, he means Sharon isn't just going thru the motions when singing a song but she's putting out some of herself in what she's singing. Have you ever actually watched Amy sing? Seems like it's the last thing she really wants to be going and she's simply going thru the motions while thinking about the next shot and/or smoke backstage. Amy's got talent but she's not giving up anymore of herself than she has to,,,, or maybe that's all she really has to offer now. Give me a clean Amy Winehouse and I would rather listen to her sing than Sharon Stone anyway. But for Amy,,, that was many years ago.  :(

Cheers,
Robin

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #69 on: 25 Jan 2008, 08:54 pm »
hey, don't get me wrong - i am all for checking out new music.  i was yust confused as to what you meant by "authentic".

imo, amy's music is good, interesting bluesy pop music.  nothing at all unauthentic about it.  so, i thought "authentic" to be a poor descriptive choice, & i yust wanted to know what you meant...  now i know - sharon jones is a blues/r&b singer, that you think is a master of her craft.

doug s.

doug s.

Yikes, try and turn some people on to a performer they may not have heard and watch out!

I find Sharon to be more of an authentic performer for the style of music. Sharon is a 51 year old African-American woman. Amy is talented but she's a young British girl. I thought you might be interested in hearing some soul/r&b from a master.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #70 on: 25 Jan 2008, 09:08 pm »
hey, don't get me wrong - i am all for checking out new music.  i was yust confused as to what you meant by "authentic".

imo, amy's music is good, interesting bluesy pop music.  nothing at all unauthentic about it.  so, i thought "authentic" to be a poor descriptive choice, & i yust wanted to know what you meant...  now i know - sharon jones is a blues/r&b singer, that you think is a master of her craft.

doug s.

doug s.

I think if you give sharon Stone a listen or watch her latest video, you'll see the difference. One girl is healthy, the other is not. And that fact plays out in their music presentation. Sharons's music is a gutsy blues, like Janis, where Amy is totally soulful blues, like maybe she's got African roots from her past. JMO, JM2cents.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #71 on: 25 Jan 2008, 09:21 pm »
sharon stone is a lousy caucasian actress, no?   :lol:

doug s.

doug s.

doug s.

I think if you give sharon Stone a listen or watch her latest video, you'll see the difference. One girl is healthy, the other is not. And that fact plays out in their music presentation. Sharons's music is a gutsy blues, like Janis, where Amy is totally soulful blues, like maybe she's got African roots from her past. JMO, JM2cents.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

mcullinan

« Reply #72 on: 25 Jan 2008, 09:24 pm »
i have a final comment..
Amy is hot HOT hOt and needs some of my special rear rave rump ravages!
Mike

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #73 on: 25 Jan 2008, 09:30 pm »
ick!  two years ago, i may have agreed w/you.  she looks really disgusting, now, imo...

ymmv,

doug s.

i have a final comment..
Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #74 on: 25 Jan 2008, 11:41 pm »
sharon stone is a lousy caucasian actress, no?   :lol:

Would you believe I meant Joss Stone????  :banghead:  :duh:  aa

See what bad lifestyles will do to a person....  :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #75 on: 25 Jan 2008, 11:44 pm »
i have a final comment..
Mike

Amy ain't no Topround Mike,,,, get your head outta the clouds.  :rotflmao:

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #76 on: 26 Jan 2008, 01:35 am »

Amy! Get help... !

That woman is a drug addict. FULL ON!!
At this pace she is gonna DIE!!! Get real man, that is where she is going!!!
This is a tragedy! A full on tragedy in the making!!!

My take..!

How can the people around her let her buy drugs like this. They should have their balls ripped of..
and their spine tore from their bodys what sorry ass excuses for humans they are! ASSHOLE BEINGS!!!
When somebody is adrug addict, they cannot think! They need to have help!!! Fucking morons surround her!
It's gonna be her death it is!!! So sad!!!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2008, 01:45 am by Imperial »

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #77 on: 26 Jan 2008, 06:39 am »
I had heard that song 100 days 100 nights on the way home from work last night and was just about to try to figure out who sang it when your post popped up with the answer great song hopefully a great cd because its on its way here . Bettye Levette's latest album is  :thumb: :thumb:

doug s.

Mike

I can't even tell what point you are trying to make but umm, thanks.

I'd also recommend Bettye Levette's latest album http://www.amazon.com/Scene-Crime-Bettye-LaVette/dp/B000UGG3D2

jimdgoulding

« Reply #78 on: 26 Jan 2008, 09:07 am »
I think she is an excellent songwriter and singer.  Don't know what kind of performer she is or how long she's gonna live but I do like her work.  There is one song I heard on YouTube, not one of the popular ones, that reminds me so much of Billie Holiday.  Any disenchanted dudes out there wanna sell me their copy of Back To Black cheap?

jackman

« Reply #79 on: 11 Feb 2008, 08:13 pm »
Anyone catch Amy on last night's Grammy awards?  She deserved all of the awards she won and her performance rocked.  I hope she stays clean because she's a great performer and a rare talent.  She wrote every song on BTB and there is not a single bad song on the album (along with 4 strong singles).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9tjCOAaQgfQ&feature=related

J-man,

PS - One more thing, Screw Natalie Cole.  She has more nerve than talent and has a lot of balls to comment on who deserves a grammy.  It's too bad Natalie Cole will never know what it's like to have Amy's talent!  If her father wasn't Nat King Cole, one of my all time favorites by the way, she would be working the counter at KFC.