Any thoughts or commments on Amy Winehouse?

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
Re: Any thoughts or commments on Amy Winehouse?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2007, 05:57 pm »
I haven't heard them all, but this one is an excellent collection of fresh takes on soul standards:

Can't find that one on their website so I think I'll just order their two newest(2005 & 07). I'm temtped to get the special edition on vinyl......

John

Yeah that's probably because they've switched labels recently.  The one I recommended is on Sympathy For the Record Industry, definitely pick it up if you like the newer ones. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2007, 06:46 pm »
i think amy's music is great, but she is an accident waiting to happen.  too bad...   :?  i saw shane mcgowan & the pogues in spring of 2006; there's a drunkard who can still perform on stage while sauced & getting more sauced...  i wonder if he would be any good sober...   :scratch:

doug s.

soundbitten1

« Reply #22 on: 16 Nov 2007, 07:22 pm »
I love the Detroit Cobras and their strategy of just recording obscure covers of old soul and r&b records .

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #23 on: 16 Nov 2007, 08:00 pm »
Launche,
If you go to their labels website they have the Limited edition LP for $15, I just picked that up and their cd "Baby". I like their sound, can't wait to give em a spin!

John

Thanks John,

But unfortunely I have no vinyl playback in my system, I have some stuff it's just not setup (been on the fence about whether I really want to commit to vinyl, now if someone wants to sell me a cheap plug and play  TT I might be so inclined)  So I'll have to see what I can find on CD.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 16 Nov 2007, 08:51 pm »
what do you consider cheap?  you can get a killer wintage empire for $200-$500 depending on which model, & how patient you are...

doug s.

Thanks John,

But unfortunely I have no vinyl playback in my system, I have some stuff it's just not setup (been on the fence about whether I really want to commit to vinyl, now if someone wants to sell me a cheap plug and play  TT I might be so inclined)  So I'll have to see what I can find on CD.

launche

« Reply #25 on: 16 Nov 2007, 09:12 pm »
what do you consider cheap?  you can get a killer wintage empire for $200-$500 depending on which model, & how patient you are...

doug s.

Thanks John,

That price range would be affordable to me.  But vintage scares me as a vinyl newbee.  Wouldn't want o have to worry at upkeep (more than normal) and parts etc...
Once or twice a month I go to my friend's house and listen to vinyl and get my fix but he has an expensive Musical Fidelity setup.

BTW, Anyone here have Amy Winehouse on vinyl (if she released in that format?)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2007, 09:16 pm »
empire decks are simple, indestructible, & killer sounding.  retrofit something like a modded rega rb-250 arm on one, & you will have something to rival way-spendy new decks.  amhik!   :wink:  here's a nice site that shows what can be done w/the empire decks:

http://cognitivevent.com/av_empire.html

doug s.

doug s.

Thanks John,

That price range would be affordable to me.  But vintage scares me as a vinyl newbee.  Wouldn't want o have to worry at upkeep (more than normal) and parts etc...
Once or twice a month I go to my friend's house and listen to vinyl and get my fix but he has an expensive Musical Fidelity setup.

launche

« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2007, 10:03 pm »
Well that's something to consider for sure, if you come across one feel free to let me know.  I'll get it serious consideration.  Do you work on these tables yourself?

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #28 on: 16 Nov 2007, 11:37 pm »

I have her newest on vinyl, I like it. I think it sounds better than the cd version.

John

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #29 on: 17 Nov 2007, 02:03 am »
i have never modded one.  but i used one (stock, w/vintage wood grado tonearm) i got on ebay, & it was amazingly close to my done-up oracle delphi.  and, when i sold it (only to buy the rare 498 model, which i have yet to mod to accept an origin-live rb250 i have), i got ~$25 more for it than i paid.  patience is crucial when shopping on ebay.   :wink: 

as far as coming across one, they are quite frequent on ebay; as i said, you yust have to be patient, use a sniping service for the ones worth buying, & you will eventually nab one at a good price.  don't get caught up in a bidding frenzy.  i have seen nice unsuspended ones go for ~$250 up to over $400.  the suspended ones can go over $500...

presently f/a on ebay:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=empire+turntable&category0=

recently sold on ebay:
http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&guest=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=empire+turntable&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&floc=1&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=20892&sabfmts=1&fis=2&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D2

this particular one was a steal, imo - the rare 498, which has the heavier platter of the early models, & the suspension of the later models.  mounting a better arm on the suspended iterations is a bit more difficult than mounting on the non-suspended decks, tho, as you will likely have to hog out the hole in the subchassis to accept another arm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Empire-Vintage-Turntable-with-Cartridge_W0QQitemZ290176922648

i bought my 498 w/o a wood base, & sourced a 598/698 base, which will only fit the 498 & not the earlier empires.  and the earlier empire bases, tho they look yust like this one, won't fit it.  personally, i really like these early style bases, but the later ones are also nice...

doug s.

Well that's something to consider for sure, if you come across one feel free to let me know.  I'll get it serious consideration.  Do you work on these tables yourself?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #30 on: 17 Nov 2007, 02:16 am »
The title of this thread a a true joke! 3-4 posts on Amy and the rest thread crap.  :roll: Just so my post doesn't top the pile, I have that Amy Winehouse album George and I like it.  :D

Now back to the crap,,,,,,  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #31 on: 17 Nov 2007, 05:40 am »
Do you mean Frank rather then George

Love her sound, Is she doing anything different then Hank Williams Or J Joplin, Not my call on her life style to approve or disaprove i was not always a good boy myself All one can hope for is she changes it before it kills her. :(
The title of this thread a a true joke! 3-4 posts on Amy and the rest thread crap.  :roll: Just so my post doesn't top the pile, I have that Amy Winehouse album George and I like it.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

kbuzz3

« Reply #32 on: 19 Nov 2007, 02:09 am »
really an excellent record despite the new popularity. IF you like the classic stax , musical shoals sound grafted onto funny modern lyrics you will enjoy.

John151

« Reply #33 on: 19 Nov 2007, 04:54 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Robin - How does Amy sound on your system?  I love her voice, but on my system, she gets drowned out by all of the bass. 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 19 Nov 2007, 06:15 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Robin - How does Amy sound on your system?  I love her voice, but on my system, she gets drowned out by all of the bass. 

Sounds like you have a system problem guy. :cry: Amy's voice is anything but clouded out by the bass. I just went back thru both Frank and Back To Black, the fact that the bass is so pronounced is one of the things I like the best about these 2 albums.  :thumb: Tight n' low n' pronounced for sure but in my system, Amy's voice is projected high in the air n' pronounced also. No way is it downed out by the bass, in fact as high as her voice is I can't imagine it ever being drained out.

But thanks for bringing this up,,,, it makes me feel pretty good about my system if in fact this is a common problem with these CD's. My source is all computer downlaods but it's a pretty defined system considering the way Amy's voice is projected out there. I think you need to give your setup a serious look,,,, better yet maybe more imput is needed from others on this subject,,, just to make sure it isn't a CD problem.  :o Compared to my system tho, you are missing out on truely great recordings.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

John151

« Reply #35 on: 19 Nov 2007, 07:07 pm »
Hard to imagine that everything plays fine with regards to bass, sans Amy.  However, I will swap out my Stratos Strereo Extreme with the HT-3 and see if that makes a difference.  I can also swap out the Candela for the Tempst, and route around the external DAC as well.  Gives me something to do over the holiday weekend.   :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: 19 Nov 2007, 11:32 pm »
Hard to imagine that everything plays fine with regards to bass, sans Amy.  However, I will swap out my Stratos Strereo Extreme with the HT-3 and see if that makes a difference.  I can also swap out the Candela for the Tempst, and route around the external DAC as well.  Gives me something to do over the holiday weekend.   :lol:

What are you using for a source? It could just be all the power conditioning and extensive use of Bybee's & Z-Sleeves that help throw that image out, I dunno. I do run my Lorelei's small and suplement with an ACI Force XL sub. BUT just for the sake of arguement, I went back and ran my front Lorelei's large and shut the sub off and guess what,,,,,,,,,, as low as the bass goes = so does the projection of Amy's voice. Sounds like an equal equation to me. I'm at a loss as to what your problem is but where I'm at, I'm finding it hard to imagine Amy's voice being even remotely covered up by the bass. Sorry guy but that's all I got.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

John151

« Reply #37 on: 19 Nov 2007, 11:48 pm »
I am running Amy thru a 2-channel rig (bypassing the HT PrePro):   SB3-> DAC 60 - > Candela -> Stereo Stratos Extreme -> Lors. 

With the flip of a switch, I can go SB3-> Outlaw 990 -> Stereo Stratos Extreme -> Lors.  This usually results in a loss of "air", and adds in some fatigue.  I will give this a try first as it is easy. 

Other CDs sound great, such as the Chicago Soundtrack, where the bass is fantastic - quick, clean, tight. 

The difference between your set up and mine could be our individual preferences (I don't like a lot of bass), rooms , equipment, speaker locations, etc..  I can play with most, but not all, of the above variables.   If nothing else, this could be a very good learning experience for me.

jackman

« Reply #38 on: 20 Nov 2007, 12:14 am »
Just wanted to chime in on the main subject, Amy Winehouse.  She is a rare talent, and I absolutely love her music.  Hopefully she can get healthy so she can continue to make some of my favorite music in years. 

Here are a couple clips from Youtube.  Although these clips were from last year, I was shocked to see how bad she looked in the Manchester clips recently posted.  She is like a different person.  Poor Amy is like a walking commercial for drug prevention.  I pray she gets her stuff sorted out because she appears to be hitting the wall hard.

Here is Amy live from New York:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANIKZVKm1Sg

Here is another great concert clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIefMYBV7mg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8l8nSIcy10

No offense to the guy who compared Amy to a Detriot cover band but it's hard for me to listen to the clips (and her recordings) and be blown away by her talent.  She is a giften performer, and I find her music much more engaging and interesting than Fiona Apple (and I'm a Fiona fan).  Amy combines a rawness with sweetness and she comes across very "real".  Maybe too real in the case of Rehab song.  This is a sad story but, like a good massage, I hope it has a happy ending.

Cheers,

Jman

PS - here is another couple great clips from the BBC sessions.  I hope this comes out on DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owhI96Zot8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Qwya7Xpo0&feature=related
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2007, 12:47 am by jackman »

jackman