Bhagi's curly makore V3's

jsalk

Bhagi's curly makore V3's
« on: 11 Mar 2007, 02:18 pm »
Bhagi wanted basic V3's with no frills.  Since we had some nice curly makore on hand, we decided to use it.  Other than that, he wanted no plinths (bases), so we simply used spikes in the bottoms of the cabinets to keep costs down.

Here is a shot of the V3's...

And a close-up of the corner detail...

Happy listening Bhagy!

- Jim

PS:  The optional grills ordered after the speakers shipped are finished and we'll be packing them shortly.

carusoracer

Re: Bhagi's curly makore V3's
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2007, 03:10 pm »
Very nice...Happy Listening

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2007, 06:40 pm »
They certainly don't look "no frills"  :)

I look forward to hearing some V3's sometime. 

bkatbamna

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2007, 08:50 pm »
The speakers look so much better in person.  The one thing that I'd like everyone to know is that even though the finish looks somewhat reddish in the pics here, the actual finish is darker and more brownish, like a slightly lighter walnut.  I'll take some pics over the next few days and post them on one of those hosting services.

I got them unpacked last Thursday and hooked up.  I am using mostly mid-fi equipment that I have from a while back but it works and sounds good so I haven't changed it.  A high-current Yamaha receiver a HK turntable and a Technics CD player.  But I'm of the philosophy of letting things be until they don't work anymore.

Initiall impressions are very positive.  My kids love the speakers.  They replaced a set of Allison 7 speakers that sounded OK but sounded a little dull and lifeless to me(they are after all 23 years old).

The V3 sound very flat to me without any exaggeration of any portion of the frequency.  I listen to a lot of classical Hindustani(Indian) music and play the tabla so I know what they sound like in real life.  The speakers do justice to the music without trying to make it "pretty" or have a tipped up high frequency response to artificially appear analytical in the short run and ultimately fatiguing.

One thing that I noticed that was lacking in other speakers that I have listened to thus far(Allison 7s, PSB Stratus Goldi's and a bunch of others) is a sense of depth.

Bhagi.

bkatbamna

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2008, 02:52 am »
Hello.  I wanted to update everyone on these wonderful speakers. 
I have been using them regularly for the past few months and just wanted to let everyone know that these sound better and better.  I don't really believe in the tweaky stuff(such as cables and green pens, hockey pucks etc..)  But these speakers have really impressed me by their lack of impression or wow factor(if you all know what I mean).
I listen to a lot of indian classical music and play the tabla(not that great but I know what they sound like).  Even with my mid-fi electronics I can say that these speakers accurately reproduce the music.  There is no boom and sizzle that while initially can impress, ultimately is fatiguing.
I didn't mean to resurrect a dead thread but I did want to post my long term listening impressions of these wonderful speakers.

And the finish also seems to have gotten deeper and richer.  (Has anyone else had that experience or am I just seeing things?)

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2008, 07:59 am »
Hi Bhagi,

I'm really impressed with how the speaker look and I can only imagine how good they sound.  Jim Salk's speakers and Dennis Murphy design is a pretty good combination.

Happy listening.

Regards

Rod

gthomas

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2008, 06:29 pm »
  I understand what you're saying Bhagi about how they look different in person.  If you look back last year to "Gene's HT" (2006) you will see that my speakers look very red in the pictures.  They are very beautiful in person and are a darker rosewood color than they appear.

Gene