Sig 30 with Large 3 way (Proac D80)?

Fen123

Sig 30 with Large 3 way (Proac D80)?
« on: 11 Mar 2007, 11:51 am »
Hi All,

I have been reading a lot about the Signature 30 recently (particularly on this forum), and am extremely interested in one.  However, I wonder whether it will be appropriate with my speakers.  I have noticed that most people writing about the Sig 30 appear to favour smaller speakers, often with a single driver.  My proac D80's on the other hand are a moderately large 3 way and in addition to a tweeter & two midrange drivers, they each have two 8" bass drivers. 

I have currently been considering integrated's such as the Jeff Rowland Concerto (250w into 8ohms) and Conrad Johnson CA200 (200w into 8 ohms).  These are almost 4 times the price (which is fine), however from what I have read, I'm more interested in the sound of the Sig 30.  Can it realistically do the job though?

Additionally, the Proac's are 91 db & 4 ohms.  I am also aware of the more powerful Sig 70's, although I'm very interested in the remote with the Sig 30.  I know..... call me lazy, but it's one convenience I could no longer do without :)

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Wind Chaser

Re: Sig 30 with Large 3 way (Proac D80)?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2007, 02:23 pm »
My take is if 30 watts will drive your speakers adequately then the Sig 30 will be fine. :green: I doubt Vinnie has heard the Sig 30 with any of the speakers people have inquired about.  In each case I think the owner would know better than anyone else, because there are a number of things to consider... like how big is your room and how loud do you listen?

Vinnie,

I've never seen so many people intrigued by an amplifier (any amplifier) with the same question of compatibility.  Is there something apart from the high performance of the Sig 30 we should know?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2007, 03:12 pm »
For the last 2+ months I've been using the Sig. 30 with my Mirage M3 speakers..link....and its working out fine. My room is small...12 x 12....but I have no complaints....I'm finding plenty of power, and it sounds excellent. In fact, it sounds better than the single driver speakers on certain music. 8)

Since Vinnie does have a trial period.....check it out....then you'll know for sure. :thumb:

Fen123

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2007, 11:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  The room I listen in is 17' x 17', but most of the back and left sides are open into an additional room, so I guess it is actually a fairly large area.  I sit around 9' back from the speakers.

Lonewolfny - from your post it seems that you are inferring that in some instances single driver speakers are a more appropriate match for this amp - which seems consistent with what 90% of owners seem to have from what I have read.  I just have never come across any owner with larger full range.  Is that possibly because large full range speakers don't work well with the SET style output (ie: is it suited more to a smaller speaker), or is it more likely a function of price (ie: do people with $15k speakers naturally look at amps in the $5k+ range and therefore discount the 30?).  Please keep in mind that the Proac's are a full range 3 way with claimed frequency response of 20hz (which I would believe).

Ultimately, I'm not looking at the 30 because it's cheap, and I was previously only looking at amps in the $5k+ (second hand) range.  However, I'm intrigued by the unique sound the 30 offers and would love if it was suitable.  The other difficulty I have is regarding return (and possibly even delivery) as I live in Australia.  That might be a question for Vinnie - speaking of which also is anyone aware of whether 240v conversion is straightforward with the 30?

Thanks again.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2007, 12:32 am »
Hello Fen123....
Lonewolfny - from your post it seems that you are inferring that in some instances single driver speakers are a more appropriate match for this amp - which seems consistent with what 90% of owners seem to have from what I have read. 

Well....most of the Sig. 30 owners do use single driver speakers, I even have a pair. But.....you don't have to limit yourself to them. The Sig. 30 can drive larger speakers...2 way's, 3 way's....it has not been a problem here....I have done it...here....and at other people's homes.

Is that possibly because large full range speakers don't work well with the SET style output (ie: is it suited more to a smaller speaker), or is it more likely a function of price (ie: do people with $15k speakers naturally look at amps in the $5k+ range and therefore discount the 30?).  Please keep in mind that the Proac's are a full range 3 way with claimed frequency response of 20hz (which I would believe).

SET amps.....most are low wattage, therefore a single driver hi-eff. speaker works better with them. And most don't have the power to drive a larger 3 way speaker unless their hi-eff. And even then....some run out of steam.
 As for price....speakers to amp comparison....I guess some do set a certain percentage when they choose....I don't. They may discount the Sig. 30, but many have not heard it. I started with a stock TEAC....later a Red Wine modded TEAC....and now a Sig. 30. Each step was better than the last. And the 30 really does sound good....really....if it sucked....I'd tell you. :thumb:

Your ProAc D80 .....Sensitivity is 91db linear for 1 watt at 1 metre...not a problem.
 Speaker link....

The other difficulty I have is regarding return (and possibly even delivery) as I live in Australia.  That might be a question for Vinnie - speaking of which also is anyone aware of whether 240v conversion is straightforward with the 30?
That.....Vinnie will need to address.....good luck.

Chris

« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2007, 12:48 am by lonewolfny42 »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2007, 01:03 am »

Red Wine Sig 30 driving Focus Audio FS-788 speakers....Holiday Rave, Dec. '06
Sensitivity...86dB....35Hz-25kHz ....Link......photo by Phil.

Fen123

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2007, 01:27 am »
Thanks Chris.  Was there any other commentary with that picture?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2007, 01:42 am »
Thanks Chris.  Was there any other commentary with that picture?
Such a little amp among the giants..... :lol: (it is small -but it worked).

Phil's other photos....http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=913

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2007, 02:31 am »
Hi Fen123,

Welcome aboard!

Can it realistically do the job though?

Additionally, the Proac's are 91 db & 4 ohms.

The Sig 30 will have no trouble with 91dB at 4-ohm.  I've used it with my Maggie MG12s, and while these are probably the easiest of the Maggies to drive, they are still 86dB and 4-ohm, and the Sig 30 does a very good job with them in a small to medium-sized room.  Of course if you like to play it really loud, you'll probably want more power than 30 watts.

Lonewolfny - from your post it seems that you are inferring that in some instances single driver speakers are a more appropriate match for this amp - which seems consistent with what 90% of owners seem to have from what I have read.

You might be surprised to know that I'd say about at least 40% of my Sig 30 customers are using speakers that are 90dB or less efficient, AND I personally would not say that the Sig 30 is "best suited for high efficiency, full-range drivers."  Sure, it works VERY well with them, but I have plenty of Sig 30 customers using multiway speakers that are not what I'd call high efficiency, and they are also getting very good results!  For example, Quad 989s, DeVore Fidelity Gibbons Super 8s and Gibbons 3s, Gallo Ref 3s, Totems, Vienna Acoustics, and many others. 

With your 4-ohn speakers, the Sig 70 would not only offer you more power, but they will also sound even better than the Sig 30s (better imaging, better soundstage, separation, more bottom end, slightly smoother top end).  If you want a remote volume control, I would recommend a good active preamp (The Modwright SWL tubed pre is what a few of my customers use and love with the 70s... and there are plenty of other good ones!) with the remote volume control feature.

The other difficulty I have is regarding return (and possibly even delivery) as I live in Australia.  That might be a question for Vinnie - speaking of which also is anyone aware of whether 240v conversion is straightforward with the 30?

I just emailed you regarding shipping cost, and running on 240V is no problem because all you would need is the 240V charger, which I stock (and I even have the AUS power cords in stock now!  :wink:).  The amp itself runs on SLA battery power, so only the charger needs to be changed to run anywhere outside of North America.

I ship all over the world.... Red Wine Audio is global 8)

Such a little amp among the giants.....  (it is small -but it worked).

Thanks for your posts and pics, Wolfy!  :thumb:

Best regards,

Vinnie

PLMONROE

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2007, 02:34 am »
Can't speak for the Sig 30' but I was  the first of three or four purchasers of the Sig 70. My room is 19 x 12.5 x 9 and my speakers are 4 ohm, 92db efficiency. If I turned the amps full up I am not sure which they would damage first -- my eardrums or the windows. BTW,my speakers are 4 way.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2007, 03:04 am »
Can't speak for the Sig 30' but I was  the first of three or four purchasers of the Sig 70. My room is 19 x 12.5 x 9 and my speakers are 4 ohm, 92db efficiency. If I turned the amps full up I am not sure which they would damage first -- my eardrums or the windows. BTW,my speakers are 4 way.

PLMONROE... That's what I'm talkin' bout!  :guitar: :drums: :rock: :banana piano:

Thanks for your feedback,

Vinnie

Fen123

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2007, 05:22 am »
Vinnie,

thanks so much for the feedback - really appreciate it.  Great to know you sell to us Aussies :)

I guess a pre-amp could be a possibility.  I was originally trying to avoid going that route, but it may be worthwhile if I consider the 70's.  Anyone able to suggest a good inexpensive pre-amp suitable with the 70's?  Only criteria: remote volume control, and minimal impact on the sound passed through (oh yeah - and no tubes.  Like the sound but not interested in the hassle).  Alternatively, I could presumably consider a DAC with volume control, and run from there straight into the 70's?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2007, 11:44 am »
Alternatively, I could presumably consider a DAC with volume control, and run from there straight into the 70's?

Hi Fen123,

Absolutely!  Or if your source already has remote volume controlled line out, that will work as well.

Best regards,

Vinnie

PLMONROE

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2007, 03:37 am »
Vinnie,

I guess a pre-amp could be a possibility.  I was originally trying to avoid going that route, but it may be worthwhile if I consider the 70's.  Anyone able to suggest a good inexpensive pre-amp suitable with the 70's?  Only criteria: remote volume control, and minimal impact on the sound passed through (oh yeah - and no tubes.  Like the sound but not interested in the hassle).  Alternatively, I could presumably consider a DAC with volume control, and run from there straight into the 70's?

You might consider a Placette Passive. Stereophile A rated, remote control for volume and three inputs only ( balance can be added at a nominal extra cost). It adds absolutely nothing to the sound and is as quiet as Vinnies amps! You can usually find one on Audigon very week or so at a good price and being a passive buying one used poses less of a risk.