Comments Please

Bigfish

Comments Please
« on: 9 Mar 2007, 02:08 am »
I left the extremely impressed Newbie Thread last night and thanks to all for your responses. 

My current system consists of a Denon 3806 AVR, Monitor Audio 9i L&R, Monitor Audion Studio Center, ith Axiom QS8s rears, M&K 1250 Subwoofer, Denon CD (Old CD only) unit, Oppo DVD Player and Pioneer 50" Plasma.  I run HDMI direct from the DVD Player and from the HD Direct TV Box.  I use optical connections from the DVD player and from the Direct TV Box to the Receiver for sound.  I use component connections for the old CD player.

Prior to the Denon 3806 I was using an old Yahama 995 AVR unit which replaced a Yahama CR 2040 Receiver connected to the ADS 810s.  The preamp section of the Denon 3806 is superior to the Yahama 995 but if I were blindfolded I would be guessing at which receiver might be playing in an A to B comparison.  Neither come close to producing the music as did the old CR 2040 (which I still have in our family cottage). 

I am reasonably happy with the sound I obtain when playing movies but music leaves a lot to be desired.  The Monitor Audio 9i speakers are capable of reproducing music that is pleasing to my ears but not with the Denon 3806 or with the previous Yahama 995.  The specifications claim 100 to 110 watts per channel with all channels driven (yea right).  The old CR 2040 weighs at least 60 lbs and would blow these things away for 2 channel.

Simply stated, what I am looking for is to put on a CD, sit down and hear music that is full of detail.  I am convinced the 3806 with my Monitor Audios is not capable of giving me the sound I want to hear.  Klaus has convinced me to start by adding the AMPs and thinks I will then want the Candela.  My goal is to pay as I go forward rather than to drive my credit card balance crazy so I am going to improve the system step by step. 

I would appreciate recommendations for a quality, affordable CD Player. 

Also, I know that speakers are the most critical pieces in an AV System.  I think I have decent speakers and want to build the system to the point that they become the weakest link instead of the strongest.  At that point I will restle with replacement.

Thanks Again,

Ken

JCarney

Re: Comments Please
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2007, 02:49 am »
Go to Audiogon and type Arcam in the search at the top of the page. There are a couple of CD72t's. One for under $400. I have a CD72 that was moved to the bedroom system when I upgraded to an FMJ DV27. The FMJ series is there top of the line. I noticed several options in that line, but you did not specify a price range. I like the Arcam players a great deal, and you can pick up used players for a good price. A little better idea of what you might be looking for in player would be helpful, but for under $400 for a CD72t, you can't really go wrong IMO.

I have a couple of Klaus' amps, and I am thrilled with their perfomance. Welcome to the persuit of musical bliss.

Have fun,
JCarney

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2007, 02:57 am »
The difference between the Denon amp section and the Odyssey will not be small by any stretch.  In fact, I'll say that even fresh out of the box (they need breakin) it will be nothing short of startling.  The difference between the Candella and the Denon pre section will be as great or more.

For a CD player, you could keep what you have and buy a decent DAC.  Then if the mood strikes you, you could move into a Squeezebox.  For the pay as you go plan, to me, this is the route to take.  As you replace the power supply and do the Boulder digital mods to the SB, you'll have a player that's WAAAAY better than most CD players that wouldn't even come close to 'affordable'.

IMO, after these steps, the Monitors will definitely be the weak link in the system.  A Stratos Mono Extreme, Candella, SB modded, DAC system is worthy of speakers into the mid 4 digits or higher.

Bryan

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2007, 05:34 am »

IMO, after these steps, the Monitors will definitely be the weak link in the system.  A Stratos Mono Extreme, Candella, SB modded, DAC system is worthy of speakers into the mid 4 digits or higher.

Bryan

OR a pair of Odyssey Lorelei's in the lower 4 digit range would be more than adequate in taking this sytem to audio bliss!

bunky

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2007, 09:52 pm »
Welcome to the Odyssey Circle,what is your budget for a CD player ? i just ordered a brand new Rega Apollo from a local dealer and from what i am seeing in the press and around the Audio Forums its a really Sweet player for $995.00 retail. Good Luck....WCW III

AB

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2007, 10:02 pm »
Start saving for some room treatments. They will help make any gear you run sound betterer.

Bigfish

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2007, 04:05 pm »
Thanks for all of the feedback and of course being the green newbie I am, I have more questions.  My system, after the improvements, will have to continue to serve double duty for music and movie sound reproduction.  So, the following are my questions:

1.  I currently have a Oppo 981 DVD Player and an Old Denon CD player.  I run an HDMI Cable from the Oppo direct to the Plasma TV and an optical cable to the Denon 3806 AVR.  The old Denon CD does not have optical out capablility so I run component (RCA) cables to the Denon 3806.  When I switch to stereo mode and eliminate the effects of the receiver the Oppo 981 produces better sound from CDs than does the old Denon CD Player.  The old Denon is a hold-over from my previous Yahama based stereo system.  Would you expect the new Oppo player to produce better CD sound versus an old dedicated CD player?  Why?

2.  I have the Mono Extreme SEs on order with an expected delivery in mid-April.  Based on reviews of the equipment and this board I chose the Odyssey Amps over 5 channel amps from Rotel, Outlaw and used Bryston.  I made this decision because I want to rediscover the joy of listening to music as I am not really disappointed in my system for movies.  My next step, I am reasonably convinced will be to purchase a Candela.  If I choose the Candela I would connect the mono block amps to it but I would need to still use the Denon 3806 for movie sound.  How does this work, how do you connect it and do any of you have experience with this type of set-up?

3.  When I add the Candela will I have to have a dedicated CD or Squeezebox as I think my old Denon CD player is not cutting the mustard?  Can I connect the Oppo 981 so that it does double duty for DVDs and CDs after adding the Candela?  If so how would you do so? 

4.  DAC???   I am really confused about why a DAC is needed with a decent CD player.  (I am thinking decent in terms of a Jolida JD-100 or something from Arcam for less than a $1000.00).  Please educate me.

5.  How many of you are running a Squeezebox and find it to be a real alternative to a CD Player? 

6.  Lets fast forward a year and I have the amps, preamp and music source (CD or Squeezebox) in my system.  The Monitor Audio Speakers have become the weak link in my system.  Some of you have commented about the Odyssey Lorelei Speakers.  Can you provide me with comments about your experiences with these speakers?  I have heard the Magnepans and I really liked the sound and with the Extreme SEs I should have ample clean power to push those hungry monstors.

I apreciate your being tolerant of this green horn who is trying to gain an education from your experiences.

Thanks,

Ken

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2007, 04:40 pm »
In many cases, an external DAC will provide much better sound overall than those included in most CD players.   This is not always the case but allows you to have something nicer now with the transport(s) that you have as well as being an upgrade path later for just a transport.

I personally have basically quit using my CD player completely after getting a Squeezebox.  The convenience and sound quality with the better power supply for the money is tough to beat. 

Bryan

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2007, 04:43 pm »
worry less listen more  aa

(1)no comment

(2)home theater bypass-klaus will make a bypass for one of the selector channels-this allows your ht unit to play thru your candella when its off and the amps are on-do a search for more info

(3-6)not my problem -lol

lazydays

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2007, 06:22 pm »
Thanks for all of the feedback and of course being the green newbie I am, I have more questions.  My system, after the improvements, will have to continue to serve double duty for music and movie sound reproduction.  So, the following are my questions:

1.  I currently have a Oppo 981 DVD Player and an Old Denon CD player.  I run an HDMI Cable from the Oppo direct to the Plasma TV and an optical cable to the Denon 3806 AVR.  The old Denon CD does not have optical out capablility so I run component (RCA) cables to the Denon 3806.  When I switch to stereo mode and eliminate the effects of the receiver the Oppo 981 produces better sound from CDs than does the old Denon CD Player.  The old Denon is a hold-over from my previous Yahama based stereo system.  Would you expect the new Oppo player to produce better CD sound versus an old dedicated CD player?  Why?

2.  I have the Mono Extreme SEs on order with an expected delivery in mid-April.  Based on reviews of the equipment and this board I chose the Odyssey Amps over 5 channel amps from Rotel, Outlaw and used Bryston.  I made this decision because I want to rediscover the joy of listening to music as I am not really disappointed in my system for movies.  My next step, I am reasonably convinced will be to purchase a Candela.  If I choose the Candela I would connect the mono block amps to it but I would need to still use the Denon 3806 for movie sound.  How does this work, how do you connect it and do any of you have experience with this type of set-up?

3.  When I add the Candela will I have to have a dedicated CD or Squeezebox as I think my old Denon CD player is not cutting the mustard?  Can I connect the Oppo 981 so that it does double duty for DVDs and CDs after adding the Candela?  If so how would you do so? 

4.  DAC???   I am really confused about why a DAC is needed with a decent CD player.  (I am thinking decent in terms of a Jolida JD-100 or something from Arcam for less than a $1000.00).  Please educate me.

5.  How many of you are running a Squeezebox and find it to be a real alternative to a CD Player? 

6.  Lets fast forward a year and I have the amps, preamp and music source (CD or Squeezebox) in my system.  The Monitor Audio Speakers have become the weak link in my system.  Some of you have commented about the Odyssey Lorelei Speakers.  Can you provide me with comments about your experiences with these speakers?  I have heard the Magnepans and I really liked the sound and with the Extreme SEs I should have ample clean power to push those hungry monstors.

I apreciate your being tolerant of this green horn who is trying to gain an education from your experiences.

Thanks,

Ken

well congratulations on the new amps. Now the next thing you really need to be thinking about is amp stands. Whatever you do, don't buy lightweight ones (my mistake). I wound up buying a gently used pair of Zeothecus stands, but there are others as well.
    With my Candela I currently use two digital devices. A Marantz 8260 SACD player, and a Jolida 100A cd player. Playing redbook discs they are both similar with the Jolida being a touch smoother during play back. Forget about using the digital outs on the Jolida to feed into a DAC. This player just dosn't respond well to an external DAC, and it's not really needed. I'm getting ready to add a DAC to the Marantz, and then put the Jolida in my upstairs system. So basicly whatever cd player you buy it's pretty much plug & play. The Oppo might be all you'll ever need.
    I cannot comment of how to intergrate this system into a home theater setup as mine is completely seperate from my music system. But somebody here will know how.
As for speakers, Maggies are the reason I bought my amps in the first place. But never got the Maggies due to room size. If you have the room size and a wallet fat enough (thinking Maggies in an HT setup) the sound ought to be about as good as it can get!
Myself I'm thinking the new mid sized speaker that Klaus is coming out with may well fit all my speaker needs in the future (keeping in mind I do nothing but two channel).
You really need to listen to speakers before you buy them, and if redbook CD's are what your going tobe listening to then 30Hz is about the best they'll ever do (even doubt that from a cd). SACD is another story in itself, and you will see 30Hz regularly.
   One thing I did with my mono blocs was to break them in using a transistor preamp / tuner. It's much easier on a S.S. preamp to play 24 / 7 during a break in process. It takes about 400 hours to get it done, or three weeks 24/7. My Candela took about 60 hours.
gary

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2007, 06:36 pm »
When you try a set of Lorelei's, they will impress you with their bass but mostly with a real sweet midrange. These speakers throw out a soundstage that'll sound like it's coming from behind the speakers,,, I'm taking a deeeep soundstage. Some folks crave accurancy, but not me. I crave depth, and detail. The Lorelei's reek with both. Hope I've wet your appetite. Hopefully Byteme will chime in on his reactions as he's tried out many more loudspeakers than I. One one fact that needs to be mentioned is the Lorelei's are a carbon copy of their German counterpart that goes for around $7000. All components are exactly the same minus the cabinet that Klaus has made locally. I can't imagine that Klaus's new midrange loudspeakers will have the huge German built crossovers that are in the Lorelei's. But they made be good enough so that extra $1000 wouldn't be worth that little bit extra performnce that you'd get with the Lorelei's. I do know that I'm 1 of the few(and actually my be the only 1) who uses 2 sets of Lorelei's in my multichannel music system. I also use Sistrum stands to get that extra little detail out of them. Even after 3 years, they continue to impress me,,, but that's just me. :icon_lol:

Robin

DMi

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2007, 06:46 pm »
I don't consider myself a newbie but I sympathize.

Most of the folks in here are dedicated stereo listeners. I might be able to provide a different view point since my system also does double duty. I have a second system but it is a work in progress and certainly dedicated to background music and not up to the level of the system with Odyssey products in it.

I am using an Anthem AVM-30 as the front end with an older modded Phillips SA-963 SACD/DVD player. I also have a Revox 790B turntable and a Project phono amp for when I get the urge to clean vinyl. The amplification is headed towards all Stratos, with Extreme Mono SE's driving Maggie 1.6QR in the front.

I have been shopping for a better playback unit and listening to different ones to see which fit in the system and will shortly start trying to get units for home demos if possible. McCormick UDP-1 Deluxe is looking pretty good as well as NAD55 followed by Denon.

I agree with much that has been said and I am absolutely certain the Candela would be a sweet match for the Stratos system you're getting. That said... I would bet on the side of the folks talking replace the speakers first. Personally I've always found that transducers make the largest change in the sound along with cable changes and amp changes. The mechanical reproduction and the room make the biggest changes in what I hear.

Of course that's just my two cents.

Doug

bunky

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2007, 10:25 pm »
I own a pair of Mono Extreme SE's,the Candela and a Beautiful pair of dark red cherry Lorelei's all tied together with Groneberg TS premium Cables and with my current source the synergy is off the hook :thumb: the Candela was originaly voiced by Alex G using his own personal pair of Mono Extreme SE's and they are a match made in Heaven! if i were you it would be the next thing on my list after you get your new Mono SE Power Amps

martinr

« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2007, 11:46 pm »
I own a pair of Mono Extreme SE's,the Candela and a Beautiful pair of dark red cherry Lorelei's all tied together with Groneberg TS premium Cables and with my current source the synergy is off the hook :thumb: the Candela was originaly voiced by Alex G using his own personal pair of Mono Extreme SE's and they are a match made in Heaven! if i were you it would be the next thing on my list after you get your new Mono SE Power Amps

I ditto Bunky's Odyssey system except I have dark oak Lorelei's.  I am using a late 90's Onkyo integra CD changer into a channel islands vda1 dac and vac1 power supply.  You may want to think about getting a good dac, one of my next upgrades will be to purchase the VDA2 dac from channel islands since I already have the matching power supply.  I like having 6 disc changing capabilities- I may eventually purchase a belt driven cd player but until then I feel Im getting a lot of detail through the dac.  aa

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2007, 01:05 am »
Honey Oak Lorelei's here.  :drool:

Robin

bunky

« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2007, 01:09 am »
Honey Oak Lorelei's here.  :drool:

Robin
My friend Chris B has a pair of honey Oak Lorelei's and they are Beautiful :drool:

Bigfish

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2007, 10:58 pm »
In many cases, an external DAC will provide much better sound overall than those included in most CD players.   This is not always the case but allows you to have something nicer now with the transport(s) that you have as well as being an upgrade path later for just a transport.

I personally have basically quit using my CD player completely after getting a Squeezebox.  The convenience and sound quality with the better power supply for the money is tough to beat. 

Bryan

Bryan,

After you had Boulder add the modifications to the Squeezebox do you still need the DAC? 

Thanks,

Ken