Is this a decent TT?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Is this a decent TT?
« on: 8 Mar 2007, 02:39 pm »
Hi:

I have the chance to buy the following TT.  JVC QL-A200 DIRECT DRIVE.  Is this worth persuing for around $75 to $100?  I currently have over 1,000 records waiting to be "rediscovered".

Thanks,
rklein

lcrim

Re: Is this a decent TT?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:22 pm »
rklein:
A Google of this model shows it to have been their top of the line when new.  I personally don't know it but The Chair Guy had a JVC if memory serves, I don't know which model, that he DIY'ed modded and he went back to  after getting a used VPI.  He should be checking in shortly, he's on the left coast.
I think you may be overpaying for it @ $75-100 from what I could see on eBay.

rklein

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:55 pm »

Thanks lcrim:

Actually, the ad on ebay that you are probably referring to is the TT I am looking to bid on.  It is only at $21.50 with 6 hours to go.  Is it a good buy at @ $50.00?

BTW, I also have an old B & O TT(entry level) that I bought in the late 70's sitting in my closet.  I never really liked it as well as the Kenwood it replaced.

Thanks,
rklein

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2007, 04:05 pm »
That's a cheapie - nothing to lust after in their line.

The best units in their line have servo control, and (very important) internal arm damping, substantial (4 lb+) platter...the A200 was midline, at best. There will be scores of table that better it. I bought my JVC QL-F6 for $100.00, for instance - it's not the best by any means, but I have little desire to upgrade and spend $1K++ to better it.

If you have 1000 LP's, you'd best be served by other models (from JVC or others)

http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/index.php?lang=en&theme=cat&ctg_id=78

rklein

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2007, 04:11 pm »
The best units in their line have servo control, and (very important) internal arm damping, substantial (4 lb+) platter...the A200 was midline, at best. There will be scores of table that better it. I bought my JVC QL-F6 for $100.00, for instance - it's not the best by any means, but I have little desire to upgrade and spend $1K++ to better it.

Thanks much!  The provided link is very helpful.  I will look for tables right around the model you currently have.  I think I remember reading in another thread how you have retired your VPI in favor of the JVC.

rklein

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2007, 04:19 pm »
Yeah, my VPI HW-19 Mk. III is gathering dust to my left as I type. Fully shorn with a totally tweeked out and rewired Rega 250 arm, too. Really, it needs arm damping desperately - I think I read about some guy in UK that is or will be offering damping trays for Rega arms soon. 

Someday I wanna' set it up again and see if it compares....but I don't think it will until I invest another $1000.00 into it (I bought it for $800 or so) by going to a stand-alone motor and heavier platter. 

I like the idea of immensely enjoying what I have (auto-shut off is great, by the way....maybe it lessens the tables resolve, but I like it) and putting the $1000.00 into my ROTH IRA instead  :wink:

rklein

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2007, 04:27 pm »
What about Luxman direct drive?  I had some of their lower end gear back in the late 70's and always thought their tables looked great.

thanks,
rklein

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2007, 05:28 pm »
rklein:
A Google of this model shows it to have been their top of the line when new.  I personally don't know it but The Chair Guy had a JVC if memory serves, I don't know which model, that he DIY'ed modded and he went back to  after getting a used VPI.  He should be checking in shortly, he's on the left coast.

I have that same turn table somewhere in my ever growing stash. (probably over at my youngest son's house). It's a good turntable, but may be slightly prone to feed back thru the suspension system. So a good isolation device is a must. I also had some problems with platter speed not saying put. That may have been in the power supply.
The tone arm was a little heavy, but worked very smoothly. Might add that I think it tracks better than the arm on a 1200 Techniques. Best cartridge I ever found was a Grado, and (if you can find one) an Osawa head shell (much better quality than the OEM JVC). This table is right up there with the better Techniques direct drives. One last thing; this table will sound much better with the plastic lid removed completely. At $75 I'd consider it a bargin.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2007, 05:33 pm »
That's a cheapie - nothing to lust after in their line.

If you have 1000 LP's, you'd best be served by other models (from JVC or others)

http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/index.php?lang=en&theme=cat&ctg_id=78

Guess I was wrong here as the table I had was considered the best JVC they made in it's day. Before that I had a JVC belt drive, that actually sounded almost as good as the JVC. I'll give Mitch a call tonight to actually see what modle it is.
    If I were to be looking for another direct drive turntable I think I'd be looking at one of the concrete based Kenwoods, and toss the tone arm. Been several years since I've even looked at that JVC, but know it's still around here someplace.
gary

rklein

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2007, 05:44 pm »
macrojack, I appreciate your offer on the Technics.  But with other audio "fish" to fry, I am not wanting to spend that much at this time to get back into vinyl.  However, if I do decide to go down that road, I will PM you.

Gary:

Thanks for your response.  I will wait to hear from you  after you contact your son.

rklein

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2007, 07:38 pm »
The Denons seem to be much sought after on ebay and other places...I suspect there my be good (sonic) reason other than the rosewood looks of many of them.

I think the best JVC produced was the QL-Y66 (in 1985) with electrically damped (horizontal and vertical) tonearm, 4.5 lb platter and excellent rumble, S/N and W&F specs with the longest arm JVC ever made at 10" or so (so the sound is plusher moreso than the stubbbier/bassier 9" arms that are more common). I've seen them go for about $200 on ebay.

My QL-F6 went for half of that, it is the true forerunner to the more advanced QL-Y66....but has a mechanically horizontal/vertical damped tonearm with similar, but not quite as good, specs otherwise.  I like it because it was cheaper, and that there is probably less to go wrong with mechanical, rather than electrical, damping. The headshell is a sturdy heavy cast aluminum one.  JVC is Matsushita sister company, so TT parts sharing was usual back then.

It is by no means THE BEST ever made of it's kind, but it's an attractive value for $100.00.  If I could only find the dang tonearm bearing to squirt a shot of Tufoil into, this thing could really be something.  I keep looking - it keeps evading my glances  :evil:

shep

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2007, 07:44 pm »
Off topic but anyone have any idea how all that stuff ended up in the Ukraine??? (Vintage-Audio) now there's a puzzler!

rklein

« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2007, 03:22 am »
Thanks for all  of your responses.  I am in no hurry to buy a TT.  I really like the idea of buying a vintage TT.  It looks like I would have many decent choices at around $100 to $250.  I really need to do more due diligence and narrow down the field so that I will be ready if one of these choices makes itself available.  I never thought about it but I will probably put my Bang & Olafson Beogram 4200 up on ebay.  Whatever I can get will help fund my new "old" TT  :wink:

Yours,
rklein

lazydays

« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2007, 05:11 pm »
macrojack, I appreciate your offer on the Technics.  But with other audio "fish" to fry, I am not wanting to spend that much at this time to get back into vinyl.  However, if I do decide to go down that road, I will PM you.

Gary:

Thanks for your response.  I will wait to hear from you  after you contact your son.

rklein

My youngest works full time in the daytime, and goes full time to college at night. So I'll see him Saturday or Sunday to hear about his latest romantic woes<g>. Still if you have not heard from by Tuesday, then give me a nudge to remember.
    What I said about the JVC belt drive tables was serious. They are not a bad table for the money. The tone arm leaves a lot to be desired. Still if you go with a JVC; let me know, as I think I still have an extra JVC head shell laying around here taking up space.
gary

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2007, 05:57 pm »
Hey, my first table was a JL-A20 JVC belt driver...'twas nothing special bone stock.

If you add 10lbs of mortite/plast-i-clay inside, damp the platter underneath and get a better mat for it - it'll improve measurably.  Isolate, level, and get the right arm/geometry, too, correct of course. Replacing the bearing oil with Tufoil is wonderfully hair-raising, as well.

The arm seems to be the biggest letdown on these...but as they go for $29 on ebay regularly, and the PlastiClay might cost you another $40 (a a couple hours of your time)...it's a good deal as TT's go.  Chip in another $50 for the mat, $10 for undercoat spray (at auto shops nationwide) and $16 for the Tufoil and you're only at about $150 for a good performing table (with super helpful auto-return)

It can be bettered by a lot of tables, but precious few for $150.00

lazydays

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:39 pm »
just spoke with with my youngest son, and he said he got rid of the table about a year ago! Said it quit working, and he figured it wasn't worth fixing. Told him I wish he'd have said something about it. Anyway now we'll never know which one it was.
gary