Anti-Fan ... Actors/Actresses I don't connect with

Johng316

« on: 21 Jul 2003, 10:38 pm »
I have a hard time understanding the appeal of certain actors and actresses.

Ben Affleck.  Ben strikes me as an unintelligent jock doofus.  His best role, IMO, was the guy he played in Mallrats.   :lol:   Otherwise, he comes off as a jock doofus.

Julia Roberts.  The first time I saw Julia, I remember thinking "Wow, she must've been the producer's girlfriend, 'cause I just don't see what everyone else likes about her."  I don't think she's attractive, physically or personally.  Just not my type, I guess.

Angelina Jolie.  Ogg.  The first time I saw Angelina in a movie, it was Gone in 60 Seconds.  Everyone was saying, "Wow, what a babe," but all I could think of was: "Gak!  It looks like someone's been beating her."  Honestly, she reminded me of an abuse victim.  Those lips of hers look fake, swollen, or both.

Well, there you have it.  My short list of pet-peeve actors that I think are vastly overrated for looks (not necessarily talent, but maybe).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2003, 10:44 pm »
Gwenyth Paltrow - egad, wathing her "act" is like nails on a chalkboard.

Ben Affleck - similar to Keanu Reeves, but more wooden and less able to convey any convincing emotions.  At least Keanu conveys confusion convincingly, Ben can't even manage that.

Nicholas Cage - flailing about and bugging your eyes out does not a good actor make.

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2003, 10:50 pm »
:nono: cant forget steven segal,van dam
also not a jolie fan

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2003, 12:13 am »
In Hollywood, 95% is looks/luck and 5% talent.

On the boards (i.e. Broadway stage), it's exactly the opposite.

The thing that pisses me off most is that society puts them on a pedestal as the world's "Aristocracy."  

As a side issue, why is it so difficult to have a very beautiful woman be brilliant as well?  It perplexes me that this phenom exists.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2003, 01:22 am »
I find it interesting that Katherine Hepburn, when once asked who her least favorite actress was, replied that it was Merrill Streep.

My most annoying list: #1 is certainly John Travolta- God, he's butt-puckerinly awful.  I just can't see how it could get any worse.  How the holy hell he became famous is just mystifying to me.  Next would probably Keanu; his "acting" for lack of an appropriate term, makes my head hurt.  If you can stretch the term "actor" far enough to include deadly-boring 'comedian' Adam Sandler, he'd breeze into the top 5 along w/ butt buddy David Spade.

It's probably not fair to pick on her since she's primarily a singer (or so it's rumored :? ), but Madonna is laughably poor as an actress.  I've seen her stink up way more movies than anyone should be allowed to.  Unfortunately she's famous enough that if she wants to do a movie there's no stopping her.

While not awful, I certainly don't see why everyone thinks Collin Farrell is a great actor.  He was absurdly bad in Daredevil, even alongside a relative dramatic-lightweight Ben Afflack (to be fair to B.A. he was better than I thought he'd be in 'Pearl Harbor', which was a lot better movie than I figured it'd be).

Gee, I have so many to ridicule, but that's a good start! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2003, 01:49 am »
Hey, I like Julia Roberts and Angelina Jolie! :lol: Loose lips sink ships... and a few other things :-P

My most annoying:

Richard Gere. He just makes me squirm for some reason.

Helen Hunt. Arghh. Her whole personality is like nails on a blackboard.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2003, 01:56 am »
Agreed on helen hunt.  Anytime she comes on screen I'm desperate to look away as fast as possible.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2003, 02:15 am »
Somehow I think Helen Hunt is Strangely Hot.  I can't explain it.  I think it's just that she reminds me of a teacher I has as a HS freshman....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2003, 02:16 am »
Paul Reiser, on the other hand...watching him act is like taking a Ben Gay enema.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2003, 02:26 am »
I agree Angelina Jolie looks like an abuse victim. Her lips do look bruised/swollen and her eyes and expression look like she is on Heroin sometimes. Never could figure out the relationship with sponge-bob. Not a bad actress sometimes. Julia Roberts is overrated too. Could not believe she had a real relationship with Lyle Lovette  :lol: And Travolta and Stallone overrated. And I guess the girl from the 5th element is a little questionable. I have seen the same act of hers in multiple movies.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2003, 02:26 am »
see previous post  :?

cjr888

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2003, 02:42 am »
Sandra Bullock -- In every movie she doesn't deserve a character name.  She plays the same person in every movie.  She should be referred to by her real name in the actual movie.

Keanu Reeves -- I'm not sure I've ever seen an actor look so physically strained trying to act....and still not pull it off.  It actually looks painful.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2003, 02:44 am »
NOOO!  DON'T DISS MILLA! :nono:  Thems fightin' word! :duel:

:uzi:     :banghead:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

C'mon, she ruled in Resident Evil.  When the Oscars came around she was robbed!

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2003, 03:11 am »
Quote from: cjr888
Sandra Bullock -- In every movie she doesn't deserve a character name.  She plays the same person in every movie.  She should be referred to by her real name in the actual movie.

As entertaining as he is, Jack Nicholson also plays "Jack Nicholson" in just about every role he has. And Nicholas Cage, and...

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2003, 03:13 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
NOOO!  DON'T DISS MILLA! ...

Well, I haven't seen resident evil. Will have to see it sometime.

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2003, 04:53 am »
Terri Garr is pretty awful.  She just acts as herself.

Sting is pretty bad with his over-acting.

Bruce Willis is good in Die Hard roles, but boring & unbelievable trying to play roles with a human quotient.

Travolta, Stalone, Swarzzeneggar are only good in certain VERY LIMITED roles (i.e. one trick ponies).

Antonio Banderas, Selma Hayek, Jackie Chan.  They should not act in a US movie until their skillz in the Kings English is better.

Eddie Murphy lost his comic edge when he moved to the burbs and got married to that boooring wife of his.  He's now as borrring as his wife.   He needs to rekindle his comedic flame by using the ultimate muse:  MOVING BACK TO NEW YORK CITY!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2003, 10:39 am »
When you look like Salma or do Kung Fu like Jackie, you don't need to act! 8)

Johng316

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2003, 10:24 pm »
Quote from: cjr888

Keanu Reeves -- I'm not sure I've ever seen an actor look so physically strained trying to act....and still not pull it off.  It actually looks painful.

I actually like Sandra Bullock, but I agree she has been a bit type-cast.  I loved her in Demolition Man and While You Were Sleeping.  Thought she was good in Miss Congeneality.  Murder By Numbers, I thought, was a good stretch role for her.

Keanu--- have to agree with your assessment there.  He's a blank slate.  Naturally un-expressive.  I think someone described him earlier as "wooden."  You're right...  he looks "painful."

John G

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2003, 10:31 pm »
Wooden?  How about Mark Wahlburg.

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2003, 01:24 am »
Brad Pitt - except for Fight Club, I hate this guy's acting  My wife rented that Joe Black movie.  I can't believe anyone would enjoy this crap...