SP1.7 questions

Tony1

SP1.7 questions
« on: 8 Mar 2007, 02:42 am »
Wondering if anyone has had this problem.  When I switch from 5.1 bypass to regular surround mode, the volume on the surround speakers jump to a high volume then when I go to adjust the rear surrounds using the remote by going down .5 the volume drops down to the level it was set for that channel.  The center and the fronts stay at the same level. 

Anyone use Full dynamics?  I have B&W 805s and i'm not sure if it would be safe.  No dealer in my are that carry both Bryston and B&W so I can ask.

James, any chance of adding 2 XLR input on the SP2 for the 2 channel bypass?

Thanks

Tony

Phil A

Re: SP1.7 questions
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:58 am »
I had a friend who had a similar problem with one of the initial software version releases.  I believe the last couple of updates that Bryston did resolved that issue.  What version are you running?

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2007, 05:12 am »
I always use Full dynamics. 

Goshwin

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2007, 05:45 am »
Since we're talking about the sp1.7, I have a question about imaging. Recently I noticed that in stereo mode the imaging is very poor, but in bypass it's excellent.

What could be doing this? Did I muck up a setting?

Gosh

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2007, 03:10 pm »
The bypass mode (2 Ch) all of the DSP circuitry, DA and AD converters are bypassed which means a totally analog path.  Stereo does not mean a totally analog path just the fact that 2Ch is being selected.

Goshwin

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2007, 05:37 pm »
The bypass mode (2 Ch) all of the DSP circuitry, DA and AD converters are bypassed which means a totally analog path.  Stereo does not mean a totally analog path just the fact that 2Ch is being selected.

Ok, I know that much. (But thanks)  :D

The key to my question is my assumptions.

I assume the SP 1.7 to be the superior DAC in the system. So with that in mind I expect certain results depending on which modes I use.
So here’s the situation.

I feed digital from an Anthem cd1 to the sp 1.7 (set to stereo mode),  I expect to get the  same or better imaging than if I fed the analog from the Anthem through the sp 1.7 in bypass mode. (Using just the dac in the Anthem.)

But this is not true. It seems that in stereo mode, the sp 1.7 is doing something weird to the imaging and blurring it as if it was attempting to apply a surround mode of some kind (I checked that button and it’s off)

So, is the sp1.7 blurring the imaging by not switching out of surround modes. (Is there a setting in stereo mode I am not using right?)

As a side note, this issue was noticed by a friend who was trying out a CD of Yo Yo ma on my system. (He wanted to see what the Totem winds sound like). As we listened, he said that something was really messed up because the imaging on the recording was all wrong. “Where the hell is the Cello?  The Winds are supposed to be way better than this.“ (he said)  I thought he was full of it at first, but when I checked a few things and punched the bypass just to experiment, he suddenly announced that it’s much better. I got in front of the speakers to see for myself and to my amazement there was a radical difference when you let the Anthem vrs the sp1.7 dacs do the work. There was no imaging at all when the sp 1.7 was doing the work.

I am amazed by this. The Anthem is really old, and its Dacs are older still. How could it beat the Bryston DACs on imaging? Hence I don’t believe it and think something is wrong. Does Stero mode mean that the DSP is still messing with the digital signal and not delivering it as is to the DAC?

So… HELP!! I can’t figure this out.  :duh:
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2007, 05:48 pm by Goshwin »

brucek

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2007, 06:33 pm »
I can’t figure this out

In stereo mode, the speaker configuration and bass management is applied and could account for some differences.

Do you indeed have both the front mains set to the same distance setting, and are they both set to Large? This would be the closest equivalent to Bypass.

Is the No-Sub in Bypass set when in Bypass mode, so as to match the stereo modes Large setting?

Ensure Xbass is set to off in stereo mode.

Others can disagree, but certainly you can't ignore jitter when in stereo mode. In a stand alone CD player you use the same clock to get the data off the disk as you do to clock the oversampler, the D to A converter and the sample and hold circuit, etc. Now indeed, this clock is divided and multiplied to obtain the correct rate, but the fact is this 'synchronous' system is nearly jitter free.

It doesn't matter how well you clock the data from the disc and assemble it into the correct format to transmit it out the S/PDIF interface, you will have an embedded clock that must be re-created by various means to take care of the D to A process in another external circuit. Errors will be present in this re-created clock no matter what method is used. Some claim this difference is audible.

Anyway, just a few ideas.

brucek

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2007, 07:08 pm »
"I assume the SP 1.7 to be the superior DAC in the system. So with that in mind I expect certain results depending on which modes I use. "

James Tanner has already addressed the above in posts in that the DACs in the SP 1.7 are designed as a HT product first.  DAC chips are cheap.  There are many products that use the same DACs.  It is how the DACs are implemented and other factors that determine sound.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2007, 07:17 pm »

Tony1

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2007, 02:03 am »
I had a friend who had a similar problem with one of the initial software version releases.  I believe the last couple of updates that Bryston did resolved that issue.  What version are you running?

V44F

Goshwin

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2007, 04:38 am »
I can’t figure this out
In stereo mode, the speaker configuration and bass management is applied and could account for some differences.
Do you indeed have both the front mains set to the same distance setting, and are they both set to Large? This would be the closest equivalent to Bypass.
Is the No-Sub in Bypass set when in Bypass mode, so as to match the stereo modes Large setting?
Ensure Xbass is set to off in stereo mode.
Anyway, just a few ideas.
brucek
I set these settings years ago so didn't think of it. Took a look and ... Guess what!?!?! The distance settings were set to 12 and 14 foot (WTF?) Damn inlaw has busy friggin fingers. GRRRRR. I reset everything and.... POOF... FIXED!!!!

brucek... I could kiss you.. but since you're a man... I won't. (but I owe you a beer)
I'm soooooo relieved.

Gosh