P-3A DAC with my TurboMOD

audioengr

« on: 21 Jul 2003, 04:00 am »
Psychicanimal wrote:
Perhaps you might want to send your unit to Albert Porter and let him post his findings in Audiogon. He can tell us if it really "sounds like vinyl". Would you do that?

I have a couple of extra P-3A's that I was planning to use as demo units.  I need to mod them first when I have the time.  I am pretty busy modding customer units right now believe it or not.  If he was willing to leave a deposit, I would be happy to lend Albert one to audition.  However, it is extremely important to use a jitter-free transport and a low-loss SP/DIF cable with it.  I must know that he has these as well, otherwise there are too many variables.

What I would rather do is have someone audition the whole source system:
Sony DVP-S7700 transport with my mods
Bitmeister SP/DIF cable

I would like to offer a limited number of these source systems for sale at around $1200-$1300

Each component is a significant improvement on its own (so my customers tell me), but the sum of the parts is what really rivals vinyl.

audioengr

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2003, 04:08 am »
Psychicanimal wrote:
This is Dan's opinion from the Modwright forum @ Harmonic Discord:

I have found that straight Redbook, without upsampling, in a good player with the right analog stage is simply fantastic.

Everyone has their own point of reference and their own opinion.  I have heard Dan's system and it was very nice.  He has not heard mine.  I have also heard the Mietner system extensively and it is probably the best SACD playback on the planet.  However, I believe that the redbook playback is rivaled and perhaps even bested by my own source system.

Sa-dono

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2003, 04:25 am »
Quote from: audioengr

I would like to offer a limited number of these source systems for sale at around $1200-$1300

This is very intriguing. Please let me know if you end up doing this..as I would likely be extremely interested. I'd definitely make sure the local guys get together for a fun day of comparisons :D

eric the red

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2003, 05:44 am »
I for one would be extremely interested in auditioning that combo  Audioengineer. How about I bring Don Nance's modded SLA1 over to Bend for an audition?

audiojerry

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2003, 04:10 pm »
I have a
Classe CDT-1 transport, on top of Aurios Media Isolation Bearings, and  
           filtered by a balanced isolation transformer,
Jenna Labs cryo XLR digital cable,
Modwright P-3A with Level 2 mods,
stock Perpetual Tech. P-1A, connected to P-3A with i2s
Monolithic Power supply, filtered by a balanced isolation transformer.

I would be happy to compare my redbook system to yours.
What kind of conditions and deposit would you require?

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2003, 04:25 pm »
I'd also be happy to invite myself over to Audiojerry's place for the audition...if it's okay with Jerry.  The guy who bought the mod from audioengr is a friend of mine from New Jersey (Blizzard).  He LOVES the modded P3A (according to his reviews at least).  He's a trustworthy guy and I'd love to hear this version of the P3A.  I have listened to jerry's Modwright version and think it's the best digital source I have ever heard.  It would be cool to compare the two.

J

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2003, 05:16 pm »
Eric the Red wrote:
I for one would be extremely interested in auditioning that combo Audioengineer. How about I bring Don Nance's modded SLA1 over to Bend for an audition?

Lets do it this week.  Please give me a call at:
541-595-1001 or
email me at:
nugent@empiricalaudio.com

I have two great amps we can try them with:
Halo JC-1's and an Adcom GFA 585 with my extensive mods

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2003, 05:19 pm »
Unfortunately, I was a bit optimistic in my estimate.  The actual system price will be:

$2000 for refurbished/modded Transport, modded used DAC and new SP/DIF cable

$2200 for refurbished/modded Transport, modded new DAC and new SP/DIF cable

If I can get better deals on the components, the price may come down.

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2003, 05:27 pm »
Audiojerry wrote:
I would be happy to compare my redbook system to yours.
What kind of conditions and deposit would you require?

I would need $500 deposit to ship you only the DAC.  You pay shipping both ways.  If you want the entire system, I would need a $1K deposit.

If you want to get a sense of what the improvement will be, just unscrew the four screws on the back of the P-3A and slip the circuit board out.  Make sure you are touching a grounded component to eliminate static charge.  Then lay the circuit board on a plastic bag and reconnect all the cables.  Play some music through it.  It will sound a LOT better.  First, this should not happen - it is a sign of a por design.  Second, when I get done with it, it will be even better and I eliminates the in and out of the box difference.  

It is really the combination of low-jitter transport, DAC and a low-loss cable that makes this thing sing, though.

eric the red

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2003, 06:16 pm »
I'm not going to have my amp in hand until next week plus $2k is a little steep for me-thanks for the offer :D

Sa-dono

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2003, 06:20 pm »
Quote from: audioengr
Unfortunately, I was a bit optimistic in my estimate.

Oh well..knew it sounded too good to be true :cry: :mrgreen:

Just figured there was a small chance it was in order to get the word out about your mods...and the group here would certainly do that very well, as long as the product lives up to everything I've read :D

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2003, 06:27 pm »
eric the red - I wish you would come by anyway so that you can hear what my mods can do.  I have this Adcom modded that you can hear as well.  You may want other things in your system to be modded.  Also, you can audition my cables while you are here.

You can spend half a day at Black Butte Ranch as well as my guest and partake in some of the activities here, such as flyfishing, horseback riding, bike paths, awesome golf, rock climbing instruction, lots of swimming pools and awesome views in all directions.  If you have never stayed at BBR, you are missing a lot.

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2003, 06:34 pm »
ETR,

After getting my Sony DVP S7700 modded by Steve, I really think it would be in your best interest to demo some of his gear.

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2003, 07:44 pm »
Sorry about the off-topic post, but I wanted to say that I have been to Bend, OR many times (usually to go skiing, great skiing btw!!) and it is a beautiful city.  I would love to live there!  Never been to BBR though, but I have had Black Butte Porter which is some good suds IMO!

eric the red

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2003, 12:30 am »
As soon as I get my amp, I'll take you up on that offer as the only time I've been to Black Butte was in the winter-thanks

audioengr

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2003, 05:01 pm »
Eric - I will be shipping the Adcom that I modified in the next couple of days, so you might miss this one..