Olive customer panel

Berndt

Olive customer panel
« on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:05 am »
I was sent an email inviting me to a customer panel at the olive offices in SF.

repost from email...

besides the online surveys that we do - most recently on potential new services - we're also eager to work with you in person to get a better understanding of your requirements, of how you are ideally looking to enjoy music, and what technology and Olive can do to support that experience. So we'd like to cordially invite you to take part in a 2h Customer Panel in our SFO offices, and to help us along in shaping future products

Focus: Playlist 2.0 - Organizing the music library. What further context information? Additional online resources.

end of repost...

Is there any requests for me to bring to them?
Bill

John Casler

Re: Olive customer panel
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:44 am »
Hi Bill,

I did notice that I thought the Playlists should include a "time total" so if you wish to "BURN" it you know how to "trim" or "fluff".

That is, if you have an 80 minute CD, it would be nice if you could see if you are over or under 80 mins on those play lists you wish to record. :green:

Berndt

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2007, 11:38 am »
I'd like to be able to know if you got a good rip.
I'd like a back button on their web interface/browser.
I'd like to see an updated service manual.
I'd like to hear an opus back to back with the musica.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2007, 03:15 pm »
I'd like to be able to know if you got a good rip.

Hi Bill,

My units always spit out the disc and display a "successful burn" (or some such) message. I have made over 100 "rips" and no coasters.  I even tried ripping under the "data" category, rather than "music", and got a disc that would only play on a computer, with a different root structure.

Quote from: Berndt

I'd like a back button on their web interface/browser.

IE6 already gives that, but I agree that it should also be on the interface screen

I'd like to see an updated service manual.

Ditto, and it would be nice, if the online manual was available from the web/browser interface via HELP for all models.  And the manual needs more and detailed info on adding, configuring and accessing HD's and backing up the system and contents.

I'd like to hear an opus back to back with the musica.

I have heard both in my system A/B.

I have a DAC in my Bryston BP26DA Preamp with two digital in's and a switch on the front that allows instant A/B when running through the Bryston DAC.

In this config, to "these" ears, there is NO perceptible difference.

Running through the analog outputs, the OPUS has more depth, more detail, deeper bass, and more richness of tone.

Soundstage of each is pretty much the same, with imaging being slightly better with the OPUS, likely due to the better detail.

Berndt

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2007, 07:02 am »
I'd also like to see an olive forum, FWIW.
F the politics, just a user group.
I just keep feeling like I am not really utilizing all the aspects of this unit.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2007, 05:57 pm »
I'd also like to see an olive forum, FWIW.
F the politics, just a user group.
I just keep feeling like I am not really utilizing all the aspects of this unit.

YGM

brj

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2007, 06:33 pm »
Thanks for asking the AC community for additional input!

Their platform is based on the Linux OS running on a PowerPC processor.  I'd like to see them open up their platform a bit to allow the user community to develop improvements and software mods.

For example, it would be entirely possible to add in active room correction to the system ala DRC, BruteFIR, etc., if they allowed users access to the system.  (I don't believe that they even let users telnet into the box at this point.)  Other users may end up adding support for currently unsupported file formats, etc.. 

Note that I'm not saying that they need to publish proprietary bits and pieces (although any mods they've made to Open Source software should be published according to the appropriate license), but if they just allowed users into the OS, whole new worlds would open up.

RichardS

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2007, 02:28 pm »
I'd like to see a change that would allow fast cycling through the artists or albums by holding down the button on the remote, rather than having to continually click the button to advance one at a time. When you have a lot of albums loaded this is can take a while. I still have version 2.2.2 (if it's not broke, don't fix it) but would update for this.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2007, 03:16 am »
Hey Berndt,

Thanks for asking for out input.

I want to see:

-- Updated User's Manual -- Definitely... this is long overdue!  Even if they are coming out with lots of software updates, they need to hire a good technical writer that would be in charge of all the updating.

-- Ability to push the track number on the remote to jump to that track

-- An Olive forum or user's group would be very helpful, as long as it is well moderated.  This is a great way to spread ideas and share info... just like slim devices has done.  How about open source code as well, so updates and improvements can be made (again, look at slim devices and slim server).

--  The ability for the customer to replace their hard drives (or add larger ones if the power supply can handle any extra power demand).

-- Compatibility with Apple Lossless... this would be VERY attractive to many users who value lossless audio quality and like ripping/tagging w/ iTunes.  I thought this would have happened already!

-- A color LCD, and a way to import album art onto the screen.

-- A larger LCD would be nice, or a dedicated remote... like Sonos has.  The Nokia 770 is nice, but a dedicated remote could be even better.

Thanks again,

Vinnie

John Casler

OK, here is the OLIVE USER's Forum
« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2007, 04:13 am »
OK Guys,

Here is an OLIVE users forum I created for you to use.

It will allow you to post topics and threads after you register.

Please register and post your "ideas" for what boards might be useful and enjoyable.

I will try to moderate as much as possible, and I will NOT TOLERATE waky unstable types posting junk (you all know what I mean)

If anyone wants to help moderate, let me know, and I'll try and set that up.

Please post "ideas" for OLIVE forums/boards, and I will create them.

Vinnie, Wayne and other modders are welcome too.

If the forum grows, maybe OLIVE will also particpate.

Please register and post if you have ideas.

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2007, 02:17 pm »
No wonder the link didn't work. :duh:

I forgot to post it :lol:

Here it is:

http://oliveusergroup.proboards59.com/

Berndt

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2007, 04:46 pm »
quick update regarding the panel
They are looking for input on future product lines/designs, not refining their current offerings.
I would like to see a server style unit with multiple hd's...