My new system, need some extras?

chgolatin2

My new system, need some extras?
« on: 2 Mar 2007, 08:04 pm »
Ok I am a newbie, been in solid state for years until I found the beauty of tubes.  Have done some minor newbie mistakes throughtout my quest but heres my current system:

Von Schweikert Audio VR2's speakers (rated at 87db)
Jolida 1000RC with upgraded tubes
Jolida JD 100 with level 2 mods by underwood
DH Labs Q10 Speaker cables
BL 1 interconnects with rodium cardas connectors (not the best connectors but I am on a budget)
Tweaks consist of Acme Audio Cryogenically Treated Outlets and a Monster HTS 1000 MKII power line conditioner
More tweaks to come such as room treatments etc

My first system consisted of Shanling STP 80 and the T-200 cd player which I currently sold!!!  Good stuff but they weren a good match for my systems needs.  My total listening area is 20X40 with 8ft ceilings, single family house located in Chicago, Illinois.

Currently I dont have a rack for my system so everything is on the hardwood floors, my current AV Rack is packed with an Onkyo 787 a/v receiver, toshiba dvd player and a dishnetwork box.

Ok here is what I need to complete my system:

Audio rack so far I have looked into VTI, Apollo and Target HIFI and I need some room treatments for my corner walls and behind the speakers.  I would like to hear from the audiophile gurus as to what type of rack they could recommend for me and what treatments?  Not looking to break the bank, so far I like VTI products dont know about room treatments though :(

Trying to buy online to save me on the taxes and the local market prices from retailers.  Thank you all for all the help and cooperation!!! 

AB

Re: My new system, need some extras?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2007, 08:35 pm »
I'm no guru but this is what I would recommend.

Look at Adona racks here:
http://www.adonacorporation.com/

and here:

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fdm.pl?0&1&adlr&Adona_corporation&1&&&

You can mix and match and add more later as your budget and needs grow.

The Adona racks are a good start but once you have them in place you can start trying all the other isolation and vibe draining tweaks that are available - vibrapods, ceraballs, cerapucks, ad infinitum.

And for treatments? Realtraps Mondo traps with RFZ panels at the first reflection points first.

But you say your room is 20x40? That's a huge space. Are you and your gear smack in the middle or is that space a great room filled with the usual? With a room that big you might ask someone more expert than me about how to address it. My room is teenytiny by comparison.

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:09 pm »
Yes my listening area is large however I have all of my a/v equipment in a open wall compartment area, how can i put it.  just picture a flat wall with a cavity that measures 9X8 and about  3 1/2 feet deep, speakers are spaced 7 ft apart and about 3.8ft away from the wall.  I looked into adona but they are a bit over my budget, nice racks though

chgolatin2

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:11 pm »
I was considering going with VTI and maybe tweaking the glass shelving units with maple, but ??? 

AB

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:27 pm »
I would put the priority on treatments rather than racks. Talk to Ethan about your 20x40 room and see what it might need to sound its best. The racks will add good looks to your setup and will have some sonic benefit but treating your room will really impress you.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:35 pm »
I'm no guru but this is what I would recommend.

Look at Adona racks here:
http://www.adonacorporation.com/

and here:

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fdm.pl?0&1&adlr&Adona_corporation&1&&&

You can mix and match and add more later as your budget and needs grow.

The Adona racks are a good start but once you have them in place you can start trying all the other isolation and vibe draining tweaks that are available - vibrapods, ceraballs, cerapucks, ad infinitum.

And for treatments? Realtraps Mondo traps with RFZ panels at the first reflection points first.

But you say your room is 20x40? That's a huge space. Are you and your gear smack in the middle or is that space a great room filled with the usual? With a room that big you might ask someone more expert than me about how to address it. My room is teenytiny by comparison.

Really good advice on both the Adona racks and the Realtraps room treatments.

Since I own and use both, I can easily say that getting the room treatments first is the way to go. 

Nothing impacts your system more than your room!!

George

navi

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:33 am »
Currently I dont have a rack for my system so everything is on the hardwood floors, my current AV Rack is packed with an Onkyo 787 a/v receiver, toshiba dvd player and a dishnetwork box.

Audio rack so far I have looked into VTI, Apollo and Target HIFI and I need some room treatments for my corner walls and behind the speakers.  I would like to hear from the audiophile gurus as to what type of rack they could recommend for me and what treatments?  Not looking to break the bank, so far I like VTI products dont know about room treatments though :(

I'm not a fan of racks as I find most people put them right between the speakers and it tends to kill imaging. I recommend a 2inch thick piece of marble on the floor/carpet. Having everything on the floor is great because you can put equipment back to back (very short interconnects). You can also try putting equipment on dense wooden blocks (i use Australian hardwood blocks that are about 3 inches  x 3 inches)

chgolatin2

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:16 am »
AB who is Ethan??   :scratch:

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:24 am »
here is a link to a vti picture showing how to make the rack low profile so as not to effect the image.
http://gon4.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1164756660.jpg

AB

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2007, 02:41 am »
AB who is Ethan??   :scratch:

Sorry about that. Ethan Winer runs Real Traps. He posts here in AC often too.

http://www.realtraps.com/contact.htm

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2007, 04:09 am »
Ethan's pretty helpful.  His business sells room treatments but he helps a lot of people with DIY question, too.

chgolatin2

« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2007, 03:19 pm »
cool thanks!

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2007, 01:54 pm »
Ive had great luck with the GIK Room treatments.  Very basic looking, but work very well.
A number of good color combinations too!

As for the racks, check Music Direct and Audio Advisor.  Sometimes they have some pretty
good sales on demo gear.  You might be able to get a screaming deal there.

I'm a big fan of Finite Elemente, but you might not want to go that way.

Good luck on the hunt...

gooberdude

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2007, 02:12 pm »
Definitely investigate room treatments, no better way to spend $ in this hobby assuming you have not
addressed room acoustics seriously yet.

you really won't 'hear' how your nice gear sounds until the room is treated.  there's little reason to sweat the small stuff in this hobby in a room w/o treatments.

cabling, wall outlets, rack....secondary to room acoustics IMO.

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2007, 05:03 am »
Especially with a large room.

Start small and work your way up.  Try a couple of panels and see how that
works.  Definitely one of the most cost effective upgrades!