Can Ref 9 amps be left on 24/7?

dave_in_gva

Can Ref 9 amps be left on 24/7?
« on: 2 Mar 2007, 03:26 pm »
Hi,

I am almost positive I will be going with Nuforce amplification for a system I am building.

One of my issues is I have very little space and a wife who likes minimalist design and not seeing audio appliance clutter in the living room. This means I will build a small unit that will hold the audio server PC, DAC, and either:

1. The IA-7 .... or,
2. The P-8 preamp and a pair of Ref 9.02 monoblocks

The only way I can fit the 9.02 monoblocks and p-8 configuration would be to have the P-8 visible and accessible for operation and the 9.02 monoblocks hidden back in the unit and virtually inaccessible.

So......is it safe to leave the monoblocks on permanently? I see there is a $200 switching power station but I have absolutely zero room for something of this size. About the only way I could see switching these amps would be to connect them to a switchable power bar but the ideal for me would be to know if it is OK to leave then on 24/7. If I can leave them on permanently I'd also like to know what number of watts they draw at idle.

Thanks,

Dave M

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
Re: Can Ref 9 amps be left on 24/7?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:51 am »
hello dave, i have my ref 9ses on all of the time, and its not a problem for me, just give them some room to breath, and give the little woman some time in the best seat so she will know what hearing good music is what we are all about, and forget about how it looks, mike

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2007, 08:31 am »
So......is it safe to leave the monoblocks on permanently? I see there is a $200 switching power station but I have absolutely zero room for something of this size. About the only way I could see switching these amps would be to connect them to a switchable power bar but the ideal for me would be to know if it is OK to leave then on 24/7. If I can leave them on permanently I'd also like to know what number of watts they draw at idle.

Thanks,

Dave M

Hi Dave,

Good choice!

I leave my Ref 9.02's on 24/7 also, but it is VERY IMPORTANT you read the owners manual BEFORE doing so.

To leave them on 24/7, the preamp must also be connected to the inputs and also left on.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:45 pm »
Why doesn't the Ref. 9 have a 12V trigger?  That would make everything so much easier.

beachbum

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2007, 02:28 am »
cause they should be on all of the time, no need for a trigger, it does not seem right to leave something on all of the time we are taught to turn things off when done, but in the case of audio gear most should be left on,

dave_in_gva

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2007, 07:08 am »
Can anyone comment on the power drain if I leave these amps on full time (e.g. watts drawn at idle?).

Also, is 24 hour operation for a period of months/years the kind of thing that goes into UL and CE certification? I guess the low risk of a fire is what concerns me.....short on the board somewhere etc. I know there is an overheat shutdown circuit on board, but I guess I'd feel more comfortable if Nuforce commented on this.

Also I did read the manual but find no mention of running these 24/7 or precautions to take if you do.

Best,

Dave M

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2007, 03:16 am »
The idle power consumption for Ref9 and Ref9 SE is approx. 12W.  Based on the CA PG&E rate, leaving them on 24/7 will cost $1.584 per month at the base rate of $0.11/kWH, but 3x or $4.75/month, with the highest $0.33/kWH bracket.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2007, 09:06 pm »
cause they should be on all of the time, no need for a trigger, it does not seem right to leave something on all of the time we are taught to turn things off when done, but in the case of audio gear most should be left on,

I don't like leaving audio gear on all the time.  I have 10 channels of amplification to run my system.  That's a lot of power hanging around doing nothing. 

beachbum

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2007, 09:41 pm »
hey ctviggen, i have ref 9se amps and turning them off discharges the caps, thats why i leave mine on, i use a tubed preamp and yes i turn it off went not using it to save the tubes,  no harm on the nuforce according to casey,

STEF

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:46 am »
What is the power consumption for 9SE ?

Because I would like to plug my 3 x 9SE and P8 on a power supply.

By the way, I've been told that I would rather keep the power chord supplied with the amps (RFI stopped by the liitle black part) than to invest in a more expensive cable. True ?

Regards from France.

Stef

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:56 am »
The idle power consumption is about 12W for the SE. See Casey's earlier posting on the cost of keeping in on all the time. We advice that you use the default power cord.
In a few months time, you might want to consider upgrade to V2 technology (see the V2 topic). No hurry, wait for reviews. Our upgrade cost for original Nuforce customers is quite modest and there is no time limit.