My Teres is spinning!!!

Wayne1

My Teres is spinning!!!
« on: 19 Jul 2003, 03:13 am »

After a week of sanding, applying Tung Oil twice a day and LOTS of rubbing with 0000 steel wool, my Teres is spinning!

This is the Monkeywood base and armboard.

I do recommend the kit version if you don't mind taking some time to finish it yourself. I really think it added to the joy of ownership to be able to say I finished the wood and assembled the whole thing.

I am only 1 1/2 sides of vinyl into listening but ,OH WOW!!! :o

Quite a step up from the MMF-5

Marbles

My Teres is spinning!!!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2003, 03:21 am »
Very nice job!

Congrat's.

bubba966

Re: My Teres is spinning!!!
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2003, 03:31 am »
Quote from: Wayne1
After a week of sanding, applying Tung Oil twice a day and LOTS of rubbing with 0000 steel wool, my Teres is spinning!

That reminds me of how I was taught to finish with oil in school. Twice a day for a week, then twice a week for a month, then twice a month for a year, then twice a year for the rest of it's life.

Lots of work, but if done right it turns out real nice. I'm sure it looks much better in person. And it looks pretty damn good in the pic.

nature boy

My Teres is spinning!!!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2003, 01:16 pm »
Wayne,

Congratulation on your new Teres.  It looks simply beautiful.  The wonderful thing about vinyl - in addition to the great sound is that it's so damn compulsive.  What free time I had on weekends is now consumed with the hunt for used vinyl.  Thank god I never sold or gave away the 500+ albums I collected during HS and college.  Glad I had the sense to keep these tightly boxed and dry - my friends and fellow audiophiles are just in awe, although my wife & kids think I've gone off the deep end.

If I ever upgrade my Nottingham Interspace, Chris Brady is going to get another satisfied customer because Teres is the only way to go. :beer:

BTW, what is your support rack or shelf?   Seem to be differing opinions about what sounds best under the Teres massive approach (granite, etc.) vs. light, stiff & rigid (Neuance shelf, etc.).

NB

Wayne1

My Teres is spinning!!!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2003, 01:31 pm »
I boxed up my 800+ albums when we moved to our current house 8 years ago. They have been sitting, cool and dry in our basement ever since.

After hearing, and seeing, the Teres when Chris brought it down to Jason's, I decided it was time to break them out again.

I picked up a used MMF-5 and tried that with and old Hafler preamp. It was awful. I then put together the Hagerman Bugle phono stage kit. MUCH, MUCH better.

My older albums were just amazing. I have a fair amout of Mo-Fi and direct to disc recordings that were sonically fantastic. The best part was finally being able to listen to music that I really cared about, but could never find on CD.

When Chris let me know about the Monkeywood base, that clinched the deal. I went a little overboard on buying some new audiophile vinyl, but I have NEVER heard anything sound so good as The Ray Brown Trio on 45 rpm vinyl. I also picked up Billie Holiday" Songs for Distingue Lovers" on 45 and a test pressing of Louis Armstrong singing St. James Infirmary on 45.

I know the cartridge needs to brek-in a bit more, I also picked up the Cardas test record with the captured break-in tracks.

Maybe on my way over to Jason's today I will stop off at the Goodwill store to see what is available in used vinyl in this neighborhood.

nature boy

My Teres is spinning!!!
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2003, 02:36 pm »
Wayne,

I think it is very cool that analog seems to be coming back into its own with many baby boomers now having the $ to purchase nice analog rigs.  I never thought record albums could sound so good and now my wife has to pry me out of my listening room, unless the fish are biting of course.  One must have priorities.

The audiophile vinyl available from Acoustic Sounds, Red Trumpet, Music Direct, and others is getting some of my hard earned cash these days.  My MO FI, DCC, and direct to disk recordings are a real treasure.  Searching for mint used vinyl is great too.

If you haven't picked up a copy of the Ray Brown Trio - Soular Energy I highly recommend it and its on blue vinyl to boot.  A bit pricey at $50 for the two album set but this will truly give your VMPS 626 megawoofers and your sub a thoroughly enjoyable workout.

Have lots of fun and enjoyment with your Teres table and congrats on your great products.  I look forward to auditioning the MENSA kit   :thumb: in a few weeks along with my new DNA modified ART SLA-1, which should be coming next week.

Nature Boy

Jay S

My Teres is spinning!!!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2003, 02:53 am »
Very nice!   :thumb:

zachslc

My Teres is spinning!!!
« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2003, 11:32 pm »
Alltogether, how much would you say it wieghs?  Just curious.  Looks fantastic.  Nicely done.

Wayne1

My Teres is spinning!!!
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2003, 01:05 pm »
Zach,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

The Teres 255 weighs 60 lbs.

http://www.teresaudio.com/t-255.html

I hope to be able to stop by Teres Audio World Headquarters later today. I intend to listen to the new 340 and pick up the motor pulley upgrade to use 1/2" mylar tape for the drive belt rather than the silk string.

This is s $27.00 upgrade including a couple of tapes.

Here is a shot of an early adopter with a clear base and platter and a red tape belt.

JoshK

My Teres is spinning!!!
« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2003, 03:23 pm »
I finally had the time to put my Teres all together this weekend while I was home with the flu.  I spun a whole lot of records this weekend and I am in love.  :inlove:   Sounds glorious and dead quiet.   I was amazed at the lack of surface noise that can be achieved with my VPI HW16.5 and this table.  Imaging is well beyond what my XA777 can produce and it yields a very organic sound that is very pleasing.  I am quite happy with my results.

Even unfinished (looks wise) the looks are quite bold, but I have yet to put the aesthetic touches on it.  I did take some digital pix but I don't have internet access at home right now.  If you haven't seen my in progress pictures, I am mimicing the design of the 340. I have a maple cutting board as a base, lead shot filled columns supporting my armpod and a 3.5" maple block used for plinth.  I am using the standard acrylic platter for now but have plans to maybe get the local laser shop to bore the holes for lead shot later on.

It was a little harder than it looked to me but was a very enjoyable project.  If I can do it, just about anyone can.