iPods

navi

iPods
« on: 28 Feb 2007, 01:07 pm »
Has anyone tried the new 1Gb ipod shuffle?
if so have you compared it to the nano?
I want to get one for my active speakers (want to do away with CD player/pre-amp)
Just wanted to know if you hear a difference in sound quality

Can you output the audio in digital format on the shuffle to a DAC via USB (on the dock)?....... it would be pretty cool if you can.

CSMR

Re: iPods
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2007, 11:41 pm »
Strange choice. Why not use a computer; you need to have one anyway to put stuff on the shuffle. With 1Gb you can only put 3 cds on losslessly, maybe 10 with good lossy compression. And this is by no means ultimate fidelity. And no you can't use a dock as a usb host so what you are thinking is not possible.

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2007, 05:43 pm »
The Imod might work too for you, if your computer is not near your system....

the tiny 'pods don't sound so hot.  i have an older shuffle & nano, sounds thin & weak compared to my 40gb.

See if you can send a signal from you main computer via CAT5, a 50' run wouldn't be out of line.  then send it into a DAC and you're done.

Search for info on the Squeezebox as well.  lots of folks at AC seem to like it.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2007, 08:20 pm »
I have the older Shuffle...and it sounds horrible.

Only reason I have it is because I got it free, it's a nifty little thing but I couldn't justify actually paying for one  :lol:

navi

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2007, 01:17 am »
Thanks guys,

It was just an idea I thought I could try-
I didn't want to use the computer because I wanted a hand held device from my listening position.
I'll ask around to see if anyone knows how to bypass the internal DA converter of the ipod to output on the dock connector

Ivan

Thelonious Monk

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2007, 05:15 am »
simply put, you can't get a digital signal from an ipod. do not pull the "BUT $2000 ILINK LOL" card on me, that doesn't count since it is retarded.

if you want a handheld device from your listening position, find a way to use a wireless lcd touch screen to select songs. in st louis i visited a high end audio shop that had a wireless lcd touch screen hooked up to an all-meridian dsp speaker system. practicality at its finest.

navi

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2007, 08:12 am »
simply put, you can't get a digital signal from an ipod. do not pull the "BUT $2000 ILINK LOL" card on me, that doesn't count since it is retarded.

if you want a handheld device from your listening position, find a way to use a wireless lcd touch screen to select songs. in st louis i visited a high end audio shop that had a wireless lcd touch screen hooked up to an all-meridian dsp speaker system. practicality at its finest.

TM,
Gotcha! I'll file the iPod idea under 'never gonna happen'
I thought if I could have an iPod connected via a 5 metre USB cable to my DAC then to my active speakers would be a great little cheap system

Ivan

Thelonious Monk

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2007, 10:11 pm »
actually, check out the iriver h140. it's a 40 gb dap, with optical output. i think it would fit your needs perfectly!

navi

« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2007, 02:25 pm »
actually, check out the iriver h140. it's a 40 gb dap, with optical output. i think it would fit your needs perfectly!

TM

Thanks for that~ I'll go to a store and check it out.....It's got FM radio as well!!!!!!!!! Damn..... Doesn't work with MACs...... can't get it.

robert1325

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2007, 03:14 pm »
Airport express?   You can use a PDA to control it.   

Or an old squeexebox maybe?  roku soundbrigde....

I have the old shuffle ( it should be better than the new one)  it sounds very nice with my headphones,  but for speaker listening it's crap.  :wink: 

Go to Head-fi.com    they know a lot about DAP's.

BradJudy

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2007, 09:42 pm »
Thanks for that~ I'll go to a store and check it out.....It's got FM radio as well!!!!!!!!! Damn..... Doesn't work with MACs...... can't get it.

It should work fine with a Mac - it just comes up as a USB drive and doesn't have any software other than a program to generate a database file for browsing via genre/etc.  I never browse that way on my h120, so I don't install any software on my PC.