U frames vs "The right stuff" . . .

tubamark

U frames vs "The right stuff" . . .
« on: 27 Feb 2007, 05:07 am »
Anyone who has a handle on the U-frame stuffing issue:

I've read John K's rule-of-thumb guidelines on designing U-frames, and the pages of theory, etc and find it all practical.
However, the ongoing caveat about performance being contingent upon the u-frame being "properly stuffed" doesn't offer much direction for how to achieve that.

My first u-frame effort a while back was partially successful.  Good bang for the buck . . . But something was not quite right, so I moved on to dipole alignments.  I did not know at that time that the stuffing played a critical role; I simply took a stuff-to-taste approach, trying to make the peak go away.  I probably was not getting the full benefit of the alignment.    I'd like to try a U again, to get that efficiency.

Most DIY'ers aren't up to measuring group delay and such, but I CAN measure frequency response, Fs, and Qts of a completed system.
I know that data trends as stuffing increases will probably reverse at some point, particularly as the frame approaches being more of an aperiodic box than a transmission line.  If I simply try to minimize the rear output as the graphs lead one to think, I'll likely over-stuff.
My question is this:  As I try stuffing variations, is there any rule(s) of thumb, based on trends in Fs, Qts, or Fpeak (things I can readily measure) that will let me know I'm close?  My ear will be the final judge, but it's much more fun if I can be in the right neighborhood first.

I hate to rule out U-frames until I've had the chance to evaluate one that is representative of "properly stuffed".

-- Mark

johnk...

• Music and Design
Re: U frames vs "The right stuff" . . .
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2007, 11:31 am »

This should lead you through how to get the correct damping if you can make measurements.

http://www.musicanddesign.com/NaO-II-U-frame.html

It's an iterative proces:
1) build your U-frame
2) Add some stuffing. For the NaO II I use 3 packages of MCM part number LS00916 sheep's wool / poly blend damping material per U-frame.
3) Measure the near field front response.
4) Add a delay of L/C to the front phase response where L is the U fame length and C is the speed of sound.
5) measure the rear response at the exit plane of the U-frame.
6) compare the rear phase to the front phase with delay added.
7) when the phase matches at low frequency, as shown below, you have the damping correct.