Is this a good deal?

John Casler

Is this a good deal?
« on: 18 Jul 2003, 09:40 pm »
I just received this ad from some e-mail newletter I subscribe to.

Does this look too good to be true?  Especially the $699 for the table and Blue point which lists for $249 alone?

I'm not familiair with the quality of the table but the Blue Point is pretty good entry level cart.

===============================

Pro-Ject Wood Classic Closeout!!!
Was $750, NOW only $599! Get 20% off on the table or 30% off on the table with Sumiko's Blue Point cartridge for only $699! (Regular price: $1000)  
The best-value turntable in the Pro-Ject line is unfortunately being discontinued. The Wood Classic separates itself from the rest of their line with its beautiful pear wood plinth design. It looks spectacular, but that’s not why so many of you own this table. There just isn’t any table in this price range with such great speed-accuracy and stability combined with such a rich, naturally musical presentation. It includes the same heavy triple-layer platter and upgraded tonearm and bearings from the $1000 Pro-Ject Perspective. A threaded clamp and dustcover are also included. The RCA terminals allow you to use any single-ended cable of your choice. Call us for a great recommendation!

The Absolute Sound endorses this special table in their "Under $1000 Recommended Products" analog listing and had this to say about the Wood Classic: "Besides excelling in transparency, this set-up [the Wood Classic] did the best job of communicating the placement and intensity of various instruments with a reality and immediacy I hadn’t known could be found at this price! This Pro-Ject not only gets you closer to the music, but looks great as well!"

We have a very limited number left and wanted to give (blank)subscribers the first chance at the remaining inventory. If you're looking for a great affordable turntable with accurate speed and rich musicality, we urge you to give the Pro-Ject Wood Classic a spin!

Pro-Ject Wood Classic - $599
Pro-Ject Wood Classic w/BluePoint Cartridge - $699

doug s.

• makin' music
Is this a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2003, 12:49 am »
hi john,

not a bad deal, if ya have to go new, & if a kabusa technics sl1200 scares ya!   :)   for cartridges, i'd see what 2juki on a-gon has f/s.  i had a blupoint, & it *was* nice, but i tink the comparably-priced ortofons are better, & 2juki usually has excellent deals on 'em, from hong kong.  

perseonally, re: 'tables, i'd shop used - oracles, michell's, well-tempered's, basis', vpi's, sota's, linn's, etc, can all be had for <$1k, & are much better than what yure considering, imo...

regards,

doug s.

Psychicanimal

Is this a good deal?
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2003, 12:59 pm »
"Besides excelling in transparency, this set-up [the Wood Classic] did the best job of communicating the placement and intensity of various instruments with a reality and immediacy I hadn’t known could be found at this price! This Pro-Ject not only gets you closer to the music, but looks great as well!"

What a mental masturbation episode! :rotflmao:

Like Doug said, if the modded 1200 doesn't scare you, go for it.  If it does, there's good buys in the used market.  As for the cartridge, I've had a Blue Point and now own an Ortofon X5 MC (from 2Juki) and a moddded Stanton Groovemaster II for my modded Technics 1200.  The Ortofon is a faster, more neutral and accurate cartridge than the Blue Point.  I much prefer the modded Stanton Groovemaster II ( a MM design) over the Ortofon X5 MC but you'd need a 1200/1300 to be able to use it.   The modded Groovemaster II has the midrange of a $1500 MC.  :mrgreen:

One thing about the 1200 in this price range is that there is an upgrade path: tonearm fluid damper, interconnects, outboard power supply...

John Casler

Is this a good deal?
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2003, 03:15 pm »
Thanks guys.  Actually I have a Denon Table and SME 3009 Series II arm so I am set, but I have a friend in the market and I don't carry any TT lines or cartridges.

This just looked like a clean package for $699 for someone like her.

I'll look up 2Juki as I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks.

Psychicanimal

Is this a good deal?
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2003, 06:18 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
This just looked like a clean package for $699 for someone like her.

If she looks fine send her to *me* for a free analog lesson! :P

Seriously, if it's for a woman she might be really pleased with a used Oracle.  Killer looks and excellent performance.

doug s.

• makin' music
Is this a good deal?
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2003, 11:35 pm »