TQWT w/ FE167 E.........in American Cherry & Walnut

Christof

TQWT w/ FE167 E.........in American Cherry & Walnut
« on: 26 Feb 2007, 02:20 pm »
I no longer have a "bedroom" in my loft so my 2nd system is not going to be in use and we must part ways due to a lack of space.  I have a pair of TQWT's based on Terry Cains Abby design.  I am hesitant to list these out of respect to the late Mr. Cain.  I did not build these with the intent to rip off his design and make $, I've used these almost daily for going on 3 years.  The cabinet dimensions were provided by a friend who did purchase a pair from Terry.

The cabinets are made by Terrawood Design Co (me).  I built them from 3/4 MDF for the added mass rather than thin solid Alder wood (Abbys) and I used veneer....American Cherry with bookmatched solid Walnut baffles.  These speakers are about 3 years old and the cherry/walnut has developed a beautiful dark patina.  I chose to use the FE167E driver in this design.  They can be powered by any amp.  I've used Dared VP20's, Sonic Impact amp and various high power amps with great sucess.  At low to moderate volumes these speakers are wonderful, they will not shake your walls but as with the Abbys they will make vocals and acoustic instruments really come to life.  They have a very small footprint and make for a great bedroom/office speaker.  If they do not sell here I will use them as a 'bathroom system' with S.I amp and Ipod.

Pictures will be posted soon.  I will not ship these speakers so you must pick them up from my place about 45 minutes directly east of Chicago (46360).

Asking $450.  If my asking price is realized I will apply a fresh coat of finish before pickup.

Thanks for looking
Christof

gooberdude

Re: TQWT w/ FE167 E.........in American Cherry & Walnut
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2007, 03:19 pm »
Pm sent.

srayle

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2007, 04:57 pm »
Bathroom system?...hmmm, never thought of that....

Christof

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2007, 06:12 pm »
One more word about the sound of these speakers.  I would say they most resemble the sound of a nice acoustic guitar.  They cover the freq range of an acoustic guitar and female vocals extremely well.  The sound of fingers sliding on strings is spooky. 

DJ Shadow....no way.   
Gillian Welch...easy.