Japanese Taiko drum CD?????

azryan

« on: 18 Jul 2003, 07:19 pm »
I'm trying to find a really great recording of Japanese Taiko drums where the percussion is just tremendously powerful.

Anyone have such a disc or know of something specific?

I can do a google search and find stuff for sale, but no idea if it's good or not. These types of drums HAVE to be recorded w/ full range bass or the whole point of them will be lost IMO.

Anyone?

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2003, 07:26 pm »
Do a search for Kodo.

The Mondo Head SACD, while maybe not entirely pure taiko, is a sonic spetacular.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2003, 07:28 pm »
You should be able to pick up the Kodo Mondo Head disc (CD version) at most record stores. At least I think so, I saw a copy a Best Buy one day.

As for powerfuly dynamics, you can bottom out woofers with it if you have enough power... :D

azryan

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2003, 03:09 pm »
Thanks guys!!

I'll get that one for sure! Sounds like it'll be great.

It's the rare DVD that can give my dual Adire Tempest 16Hz tuned subs any kind of a challenge, and have always wanted to have a quality recording of this type of power percussion!

Just curious... is there a 5.1 layer?

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2003, 05:29 pm »
The Mondo Head disc is a multi channel and 2 channel SACD.

I do prefer the stereo mix to the multichannel.

Either way, don't worry, your entire system will get a workout.

Scott F.

Re: Japanese Taiko drum CD?????
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2003, 12:23 am »
Quote from: azryan
I'm trying to find a really great recording of Japanese Taiko drums where the percussion is just tremendously powerful.

Anyone have such a disc or know of something specific?

Hi there,

While Mondo head is a cool listen, it really doesn't have many songs that are pure taiko drummers. Try Tataku, The Best of Kodo. I reviewed it over at the site a couple of years ago.

It's a phenominal recording with loads of taiko drums. I think this one may be closer to what you are looking for.

Hope that helped.

jomina

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2003, 05:19 am »
Hi, first post here...
Another group that is more "traditional" than Kodo is Ondekoza - who use absolutely huge drums. Worth doing a search for.
If you can get Ondekoza and Kodo, the next step would be music from the "Noh" theater which uses much smaller drums and a much wider variety of instrumnets, but which also captures one very Japanese element (in my humble and uneducated opinon) that Kodo et al fail to get: silence.
There is also Korean Samulnori, which is pretty good and fairly widely available.
For really powerful, complex and involving drumming you simply cannot beat the West African drum bands and some of the big Samba bands.
if anyone here is interested, I can rustle up a couple of links and samples.

Carlman

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2003, 02:27 pm »
Quote from: jomina
..........For really powerful, complex and involving drumming you simply cannot beat the West African drum bands and some of the big Samba bands.
if anyone here is interested, I can rustle up a couple of links and samples....

I'm interested but, they must be good recordings... I don't want to beat them, I want to join them. ;)

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2003, 09:30 am »
I listened to a few Kodo songs and I wasn't too impressed. : :|  Kodo'Taiko drums 'isn't bad.
 Now if you really want to hear Taiko drums then I suggest 'An Enchanted Evening' by Kitaro, song Spirit of Taiko and 'Kitaro Live in Yakusiji', song Water of Mystery and Wa.
 Unfortunately Kitaro doesn't play these drums nearly as often as he should cause he really knows how to hammer them.Both of these albums have cd and dvd versions.
Mag

jomina

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2003, 01:57 am »
Wow took me a while to reply to this one - sadly I'm still at the stage where I need to work to pay for the toys :cry:
If you are interested in Wadaiko, and you need audiophile recording quality, please check out "Ondekoza" who have a bigger, more aggressive and less fusion approach (they still use synths from time-to-time, though :nono: ).
I don't think either of these bands are really authentic. Then again what is. If you like Ondekoza, you could try music for the Kabuki and Noh theater which emphasize space and silence rather than percussive scale. Very interesting and beautiful, *if* you can get your head around it. There are also quite a few beautifully done recordings of Gagaku the ancient court music of Japan. But that is probably a bit too weird for all but a few intrepid souls.
In terms of latin music, there is an awful lot of choice. One left-field recording that iswell worth the effort IMO is "Black Music In Search of Oxala and Other Gods" - in the nonesuch explorer series (www.nonesuch.com). This is Santeria music from Columbia. I can't do this record justice, so I won't try. It is a field recording from 1968, so while the sound quality is not bad, it is probably not "audiophile". I was turned onto this album only a few weeks ago, it is a sublime synthesis of African and South American black music - and a really good place to jump into the amazing music of West Africa (and Brazil, Peru etc.).
There are lots more, but I don't have the energy or patience to list them all. One other album that I have been listening to a lot recently is "Hemaviz" by Kardes Turkuler from Turkey which interleaves dense shifting rhythmic patterns and complex homophony. That makes it sound pretty severe, but it isn't. It is sophisticated pop music. Kardes Turkuler albums (and clips) can be found at www.kalan.com