Firmware version/DAC question

zzvelik

Firmware version/DAC question
« on: 26 Feb 2007, 04:48 am »
Hi Wayne,

I recently purchased one of your modded SB3 devices on Audigon.  I hadn't heard of Bolder prior to that, nor had I ever audiotioned a SB3 - just trusted the many reviews I had read.  I hooked it up to my system and quickly loaded it up with the latest firmware, only to realize later that you recommend one of the older firmware versions for optimum sound quality.  Do you still think that still applies with the latest firmware?

One more question if I may.  I don't have an outboard DAC & have the digital output connected directly to my Primare SPA21 integrated amp/surrount processor which has built in Burr-Brown PCM1738 DACs.  Do you think I'll get much of an improvement in sound by getting an outboard DAC? I did a major recent upgrade on my system due to some good deals I ran into.  I went from an Onkyo/NHT to a Primare/Martin Logan system & the SB3/EAC/Flac is doing wonders to my music collection.  Sumiko, the distrubitor of Primare, thinks highly of the Primare's internal DACs, so hopefully I can take a break from upgrading for now or else the WAF will return back to zero! LOL 

Thanks,

Z

Wayne1

Re: Firmware version/DAC question
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2007, 03:04 pm »
As you are running into a preamp/ processor, I would suggest you stay with the digital out and run it direct into your Primare.

I am not completely familiar with your unit. Most Pre/Pros do need to have the signal in the digital domain to use surround EFX and bass management. I do not think you will gain much by going to an outboard DAC and then back into the Primare.

I do hope you also picked up a linear power supply to use with the SB. I do feel that a GOOD linear improves the sound over the stock switching PS.

Thanks,
Wayne

zzvelik

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2007, 03:32 pm »
Thanks for the quick response. I bought the modded unit specifically for the Elpac linear power supply, so I'm good there.  I only use a 2 channel setup, so no worries about any surround issues, and the Pre/Pro has a very good bass management allowing me to select the crossover frequency between my mains/sub.  I came across the Primare by chance and have been very impressed by its sound quality and useful features.

Thanks again,

Z

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2007, 04:14 pm »
zzvelik:
 I had Wayne do a digital  mod to my SB3 last year. IMHO and from doing a lot of listening the better the DAC the better the sound.

Cheers
                                               Charlie

zzvelik

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2007, 01:50 am »
Charlie,

I didn't know much about the digital mods, but I lucked out after searching for one which had the linear power supply.  I was looking at getting a DAC, but according to Sumiko, my Primare Pre/Pro's internal DAC is no slouch. I haven't connected my analog output yet to do an A/B comparison.  Even then, it won't be a fair comparison since I'm using a modified linear power supply.  I'm sure you guys on this board noticed a big difference from the stock SB.  Now I have to do some more searching as to which online internet stations have the best sound (bit rate).

Regards,

Z