anyone know how to configure firewall on OS10.4 to allow SB?

drphoto

Can anyone tell me (or point me to a link) on how to allow an SB to be used with Mac OSX (10.4.8)?

thanks

avta

Re: anyone know how to configure firewall on OS10.4 to allow SB?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2007, 10:43 pm »
I'll try. Drop down the menu under the Apple logo on the top of the desktop and select Preferences. Go to Internet and Network section and open the Sharing folder. There highlight the Firewall section. If you have downloaded Slimserver it should appear in the list of programs. Check the box next to it's entry and restart your computer. If it's not listed you will have to use the New button. Use the Help menu if you get stuck. Good luck.

Guy

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2007, 08:30 pm »
Well I knew enough to do what you said, but the SB doesn't show up in the list of allowed devices. When I hit new....that's where I get lost.

thanks though

I used to know the old Mac OS inside and out, but this OSX has me befuddled.

avta

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2007, 02:17 am »
I assume you have downloaded the Slimserver version you want to use ( I'm using the current one )
Guy

Benb

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2007, 03:08 am »
Here's something I've been wondering about...

If you have a wireless router (like I have the new Airport Extreme) that uses WAP password and the like, does it matter if you just turn the firewall on OS 10.4 off?
You'd have to get past the router to get to the computer anyway, right?  Or am I just naive about this...

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2007, 05:14 am »
You are probably essentially correct, Benb. I am operating under similar conditions, but I still use a software firewall- not the OS X built-in, but Intego NetBarrier X (Give them a shot; 30 day trial). That way you still have some safety if you join an open network somewhere (assuming some SOB is not lurking with packet-sniffing software nearby  :duh: ) ... Stop the world, I want to get off...

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2007, 05:18 am »
drphoto, do you live anywhere near an Apple store, they could help...
Seems to me Double Ugly here on the boards might be running a similar setup,maybe he'll see this.

Oh, and also, pretty cat.

drphoto

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2007, 06:38 pm »
db,

cat says thanks.

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2007, 03:01 pm »
Hey, Doc.

I don't know much, but I don't think I have any network sharing set up.  What I *do* have is a SlimServer icon beside "Other" at the bottom of System Preferences.  That's where I go to make any changes to the SB or Transporter, but I log into the wireless router to make changes to the network.

I'll echo avta's question -- do you have SlimServer downloaded and loaded on your computer?  I had to follow the instructions that came with because OSX is still so foreign to me.

Speaking of which, if it weren't for my wife taking care of the network connectivity stuff, I'd still be where you are.   :oops:

I doubt that helps any, but let me know if there's anything on my machine you'd like me to look at.

-Jim