Speaking of SET's, any big Klipschorn lovers out there?

TONEPUB

I have always been intrigued with the big Klipschorns, but when I got a pair to
listen to from my local dealer, they weren't that great.  I know that a lot of people
really love them, so I suspect the ones I had needed their crossovers redone.

What do you use for amplification with yours?  What do you suggest?  Any
tricks to get them to work in your room?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Speaking of SET's, any big Klipschorn lovers out there?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2007, 11:19 am »
Klipschorns were invented in the days of monophonic sound.  Obviously they were meant to be played in very big rooms with tube amplification.  Stereo killed the K-horn as the room needed to be even bigger they require having two "good" corners" available (more rare than most would think), and even then they cannot do depth of soundstage.  Even with their large size and use of room corners, bass response is still limited to 40 Hz.  And mixing the colorations of tubes with colorations of horns is a crap shoot.  Throw in their very forward presentation and the ideal listening room would probably start out around 12 ft x 21 ft x 33 ft.

frustrated

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2007, 01:45 pm »
I have had mine for over 20 years and I am happy with them.  I use  McIntosh MC7300 and I also have a Decware SET amp.  I am not saying they are the best but they are "it" for me.  They replaced a pair of Altec Model 19s.  I wish I had the Altecs back but I don't think I will ever get rid of the KHorns. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2007, 05:12 pm »
Nothing wrong with liking what you like.  To me, that's the whole point of this hobby.
However, I did have more of JLM's experience with these speakers, so at least I know
that I'm not losing my mind!

I'd still like to investigate the smaller Klipsch speakers at some time though...

Always like to check other things out.

SWG255

Re: Speaking of Klipschorns
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2007, 05:40 pm »
I have at various times lived with Klipsch Heresey and La Scala speakers and when i sold audio we always had a pair of Klipschorns in our biggest sound room. The La Scala's were more forgiving of electronics and the listening room than the K-horns, but there is always something very dramatic about the dynamic capabilities of all the Klipsch speakers.

While I agree with using SET amps with them I also found that low feedback medium powered solid-state amps worked too, In fact, one of the nicest combinations was the Klipsch La Scalas driven by a Harman-Kardon Citation 12 SS power amp.

I have also heard K-horns after crossover modifications, and generally these did improve the sound of the speakers. However, I think the real future of these speakers is using response and room correcting devices like the DEQX. The DEQX can be used to partially tune-out the time delay problems inherent in the horns (the bass horn, midrange horn and tweeter horns are of differing lengths, so the sound waves from the compression drivers (or woofer) don't arrive at the listening position at the same time). This is a major reason why some don't like their imaging and why many feel they are "blurred" in sonic character. I also feel that equalization and other active compensation electronics (or computer software) has a better chance of working well with efficient loudspeakers than with power hungry models.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2007, 12:57 am »
I believe Klipsch just uprated some drivers for their horns.
Better filters also I believe? I read it somewhere? Uhm...  I think...  :D
They changed the cabinets too. Away from spruce and over to MDF..  :scratch:

Anyway, I've attended a demo once, they played metallica LOUD!
The thump in my chest was intoxicating! Powerfull experience!

Some mods.. http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1032/  Read it.
Maybe the problems are TONE'd down...  :wink:

The new La Scala II is said to be a more shall we say listenable speaker.
You could give that one a listen.

Imperial

Berndt

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2007, 01:37 am »
my first real set of speakers was a set of Chorus II's.
They would drive you out of the room, and I liked it.
First time I brought home the old magnepans my wife walked over to my pre and cranked it up.
She turned and raised an eyebrow...
She was expecting the dynamics of horns, I suspect.
We'll get there.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2007, 02:08 am »
I wouldn't mind trying something like the La Scalas on my SET set-up.  I have a friend who's always trying to make a temporary trade with me...my Zu Druids for her Klipsch Heresy 2s.  I'd like to see what they sound like, but I don't know if I trust her with my Zus...

TONEPUB

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2007, 04:47 pm »
Don't let anyone borrow your car, underwear, girlfriend or speakers.

That's what I say

:)

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2007, 09:37 pm »
Don't let anyone borrow your car, underwear, girlfriend or speakers.

That's what I say

:)

Never let anyone borrow CDs or LPs either.  I'm like 0 for 15 in getting a CD back from someone who borrowed it.

mmakshak

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2007, 06:16 pm »
  I know that my Heresy's had an immediacy that I've not heard elsewhere.