ACI Announces High Performance On-Wall Speaker

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« on: 18 Jul 2003, 02:30 pm »
The Emerald On-Wall is designed for those who want high-end musicality and build quality without taking up floor space. The Emerald On-Wall is specifically designed to be mounted on-wall or on-ceiling. A number of finish options are available to help match any décor. This model is the perfect antidote for low-performance in-wall speakers. Featuring special pre-sale pricing until August 25, 2003. More information at:

http://www.audioc.com/speakers/Emonwall/index.htm

Read the latest Emerald Review at TNT-Audio:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/aciemerald_e.html

Have a great day!

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2003, 02:40 pm »
Mike,

Those look fantastic!  I think many other manufacturers should take heed as on walls is an important compromise for WAF/SOAF, especially as rear or side channels in a MC setup.  Way to go!

Josh

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2003, 03:58 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Mike,

Those look fantastic!  I think many other manufacturers should take heed as on walls is an important compromise for WAF/SOAF, especially as rear or side channels in a MC setup.  Way to go!

Josh

Josh:

Thank you! I must say that they look even better in person than in picture:) Eventually we'll get some better photos in a number of different finishes and environments.

Personally, I hope other manufacturers are a little slow on this one.  I wouldn't mind cornering the market for a bit:)

Have a great day!

JackStraw

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2003, 05:32 pm »
I was checking those out at your web site earlier this week. Nice.

The key questions that I came away with were...

How do they affix to the wall? Do you end up with a flush-mounted installation? I suppose that the add'l pictures that you mentioned will certainly show this in detail.

What happens to image and soundstage vs. stand-mounted Emeralds?

I see that you've mentioned "adjusting the tuning to take advantage of on-wall placement"... what does that mean? Is this just a reference to bass reinforcement, or are you hinting at a crossover change?

Thanks for the info. I agree that these (paired with a Force, Titan, or two) would really be a great win for WAF. Pairing that with your 30-day satisfaction warranty should win you a lot of orders for these guys...

JackStraw

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2003, 08:06 pm »
One more question... can they be mounted sideways, so that the wood panels are on the top and bottom of the drivers rather than on the left and right?

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2003, 08:44 pm »
Quote from: JackStraw
I was checking those out at your web site earlier this week. Nice.

The key questions that I came away with were...

How do they affix to the wall? Do you end up with a flush-mounted installation? I suppose that the add'l pictures that you mentioned will certainly show this in detail.

What happens to image and soundstage vs. stand-mounted Emeralds?

I see that you've mentioned "adjusting the tuning to take advantage of on-wall placement"... what does that mean? Is this just a reference to bass rein ...

Jack:

Good questions! As to the wall mounting: On the rear is a metal plate with two keyways. Drawing looks like:
http://www.audioc.com/speakers/Images/Emerald%20on%20wall%20bracket%203%20solid.JPG
With the proper screws into studs, you could practically hang from these things:) The mounting is not completely flush. There are 1/4" rubber pads at the four rear corners. By adjusting the tension on the two screws, you get a very snug, tight, and rattle free attachment.
Image is very similar to the stand mounted Emeralds. The big difference is that you don't get as much depth. To get the best depth of soundfield you need the time delay that out in the room placement gives you. This is true of ALL on or in-wall speakers. The amount of depth you will still hear is dependent on the recording. Now, if used in a multi-channel system, much of the depth comes from the use of the surrounds. A 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel system with these speakers will sound very good indeed!

The crossover is not changed from the standard Emerald. The porting is changed just a bit. One of the guys has the response graphs on another computer. I'll see if I can reach him and he can forward me the graphs so I can better explain the difference in the low-frequency response.

Thanks for asking great questions!

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2003, 01:32 pm »
Quote from: JackStraw
One more question... can they be mounted sideways, so that the wood panels are on the top and bottom of the drivers rather than on the left and right?

They can be mounted sideways, but they will not sound as good. Just like if you laid your Vandies on they're sides:) This is true of all vertically oriented speakers.  For several years I had an Emerald center laying on its side above a TV screen. I had an existing cabinet, and that was the only way it would fit. Worked well enough to satisfy the less critical part of me. If possible, I would try to have at least the three fronts mounted vertically. Not quite as important on the sides/rears.