VPI Aries 3 vs. scoutmaster/SSM

Maxxie38!

VPI Aries 3 vs. scoutmaster/SSM
« on: 24 Feb 2007, 08:19 pm »
I am interested in the VPI turntables. As the HR-X is a bit too expensive for me, I am thinking about buying either the Aries 3 or the Scoutmaster/Superscoutmaster. Can someone please explain the differences and how they affect the sound. I am looking for good resolution, impact and lots of musicality.

Christian

In The Groove

Re: VPI Aries 3 vs. scoutmaster/SSM
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2007, 09:05 pm »
I have not heard the Aries 3 but my Scoutmaster sounds terrific.

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2007, 09:15 pm »
My opinion would be to at least consider the TNT Jr. You can upgrade to full TNT later if you want....but you may find it unnecessary.

Package deals are available thru elusivedisc and others....

WEEZ

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2007, 09:17 pm »
I am interested in the VPI turntables. As the HR-X is a bit too expensive for me, I am thinking about buying either the Aries 3 or the Scoutmaster/Superscoutmaster. Can someone please explain the differences and how they affect the sound. I am looking for good resolution, impact and lots of musicality.

Christian

Not really much of a difference the scoutmaster according to Harry Weisfeld will give you all you need as far as resolution, impact, and musicality. I would buy the Scoutmaster and with the money saved buy a better cart. The biggest upgrade by far is the VPI speed controller/power cond.
    The more expensive TT may have a smidgen more in performance at the extremes but the difference in price is not value for dollar. If budget is not an issue then the Super Scoutmaster is the deal.
    Again let me stress the differences are very small.

rollo

mtodde

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2007, 10:20 pm »
I think the 10.5i tonearm is in a different class than any of the JMW-9 arms.  It is more friendly with low compliance cartridges and offers the ability to tweak VTF on the fly.

I've been trying to consider upgrade possibilities from my Scout.

In The Groove

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2007, 11:16 pm »
It's a tough call since 10.5i is a better arm than the JMW9 but the Super Scoutmaster motor is better and has the SDS controller.

The Aries 3 is more beautiful in design though and the VTF adjustment is very nice.

Probably can't lose either way.

mtodde

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2007, 02:02 am »
It's a tough call since 10.5i is a better arm than the JMW9 but the Super Scoutmaster motor is better and has the SDS controller.

The Aries 3 is more beautiful in design though and the VTF adjustment is very nice.

Probably can't lose either way.

You can add a single flywheel motor to the Aries 3 and the SDS works with any table...you just have to spend more $$$.

This is what I'd love to get...http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=855

Maxxie38!

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2007, 11:43 am »
Thank you all. With all the hype around the scout/scoutmaster/superscoutmaster the Aries seems to be a little less known and recognized. I also read on high-endaudio the opinion that with the current platter the Aries 3has lost upon the older Aries 1 model - any opinions about that?

And Weez, I would be interested to learn what makes you prefer the TNT models?

Christian

WEEZ

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2007, 04:10 pm »
Oh, I don't know.... massive soundstage, for one, I suppose. Ability to accept the 12.5 arm (or other arms) at less total cost would be another reason, while still retaining an upgrade path all the way to the top if you- or a subsequent buyer- so chooses.

I have a bias that should be explained..I believe the Scout series to be a departure from the VPI 'sound'. Some like it, some don't. Whatever. The old 19 series were a stone cold bargain, IMO and shared the VPI 'sound' with the TNT series--on a slightly smaller scale, of course.

Try to hear a comparison, if you can. Could be ear opening :).

I doubt you'll be unhappy with any VPI product...I just like the larger chassis designs better. YMMV..

WEEZ

In The Groove

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2007, 05:42 pm »
This is what I'd love to get.

I'd like one of those as well but I'm a few thou short.