Naim Aro vs Sme series 111 with damping trough

Derockster

Naim Aro vs Sme series 111 with damping trough
« on: 24 Feb 2007, 11:45 am »
Hi guys,I'm using a technics sp 25 turntable and i'm thinking of trying the naim aro on it.I am presently using the sme tonearm.Opinions please.Derockster :scratch:

lcrim

Re: Naim Aro vs Sme series 111 with damping trough
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2007, 01:34 pm »
Derockster:
I like the SME you have because of the damping tray.  It was SME's one and only, to my knowledge, try at a lower mass tonearm.  The Aro is a unipivot design and at 11 gms should probably be considered a medium mass tonearm.
No record is perfectly flat and to track the warped areas is a known challenge for a unipivot design.
The Aro would probably allow the use of a greater range of cartridges.
Did you ever resolve your buzz problem?

Psychicanimal

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2007, 01:39 pm »
Derockster:
Did you ever resolve your buzz problem?

I said it would go away with plenty of water and fresh air! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep the SME, is my take.  I'd use my money and efforts on finding some killer classic MM/MI cartridges.  They show up frequently in eBay.

Derockster

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2007, 02:56 pm »
Hi Icrim, thanks for your opinion on the subject,it will be taken very much taken into consideration.I have not resolved my buzz issue but i am working on it.It is defintely the 47 labs cable I'm using on the TT but,it sounds so lovely I do not want to replace it.I am going to try some  ferrite blockers on the cable to see if this works in blocking out the rfi which I believe is causing the buzz.Will keep you posted.Regards Derockster

Derockster

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2007, 03:01 pm »
Hi Psychicanimal,I see you've got jokes ha ha ha. :lol:I am looking at some grado cartridges but am yet to decide which one I'll get.Besides the Grado have you any recommendations?Would be greatly appreciated.Regards from sunny Barbados Derockster aa

Psychicanimal

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2007, 08:28 pm »
Hi Psychicanimal,I see you've got jokes ha ha ha. :lol:I am looking at some grado cartridges but am yet to decide which one I'll get.Besides the Grado have you any recommendations?Would be greatly appreciated.Regards from sunny Barbados Derockster aa

There are several choices that will work extremely well: first one that comes to mind is a Shure V15 III with the revolutionary JICO SAS stylus www.export-japan.com/marketing/stylus/sas.php .  Another great one is a Pickering XSV-3000 (same as Stanton 881S).  Kevin of KAB Electroacoustics www.kabusa.com still has NOS Stereohedron stylus for them Pickering bodies.  If you can find a great oldie Audio Technica like an AT-20S, 20Sa, 15S...then www.stereoneedles.com has NOS replacements at fair prices.  Happy now?  :drool:

Haven't we discussed this earlier?  :scratch:

That Mount Gay Barbados rum is originating that buzzz.  Leave it alone. :duh: