Hey guys anyone with views of Shure? E4c or E5c?

audiojerry

Hey guys anyone with views of Shure? E4c or E5c?
« on: 23 Feb 2007, 11:10 pm »
 Even the E500PTH?

I'm seeing some decent prices on these and was wondering how they might compare with Etymotic for small in-ear phones.

aerius

Re: Hey guys anyone with views of Shure? E4c or E5c?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2007, 07:02 pm »
I've heard the Shure E4C and Ety E4, personally I prefer the Shures.  The Etys are more detailed & resolving but I find the sound to be too thin & sterile for my tastes.  To me it's like a studio monitor earbud, the purpose of which is to highlight and expose every last flaw in a recording and stick'em right in my face.  It would be nice if I were a mastering engineer, but not when I'm trying to listen for my own enjoyment.

The Shures have a warmer presentation, it's not as detailed and the treble is a tad softened, but it's a fuller sound and the bass actually has a nice weight to it.  It's not going to dredge up every last tape splice, echo, or creaking chair in a recording, and it's not going to separate and unblur every last bassline and piano note like the Ety.  What it does do is connect me with the music, with Etys, I'm analyzing a recording, with the E4C, I'm listening to music.

This is not to say that the E4C sucks at the technical parts, details, resolution, and so forth are still pretty darn good, roughly on par with my Grado SR225 or Senn HD580, it just ain't as good as the Ety.  It trades off some technical ability for a better (IMO) artistic presentation, to me it's a good trade-off, others may not agree.

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2007, 07:28 pm »
I've had the Shure E4c's for about a year.  they don't get much use, but sound fantastic after 2 weeks of 24/7 burn-in while connected to my home computer...initially they hurt my ears.

Trying to find the cushions that work with your ear is crucial for any of the in-ear 'phones to work.  Out of all the pairs that Shure included with the 'phones, only 1 brings out the mondo bass...which tells me the seal is good (according to the owners manual).  it also tells me my inner ear opening is smaller than most folks...most of the ear cushions were simply too big, the 'phones wouldn't sit right (or stay put to be exact)

i bought the E4c's new on ebay for $165 - don't pay retail!

my only experience is with the Shure line, don't go below the E4c if you like bass.

If you want killer sound from in-ear 'phones, spend the $ to get custom ear molds made.  At the same time, get the molds made for custom set of earplugs.  You'll be set with mobile audio tools & ear protection for years to come...

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2007, 08:10 pm »

If you want killer sound from in-ear 'phones, spend the $ to get custom ear molds made.  At the same time, get the molds made for custom set of earplugs.  You'll be set with mobile audio tools & ear protection for years to come...

I would say be careful about custom ear molds. I had some made for my Etmotic ER4Ss and they were a royal pain to get in and out compared to the stock tips and didn't sound as good as either of the stock ends (the flanges or the foam). When I queried Etymotic about this they said they weren't surprised and this mirrored their own findings on the matter. I should have checked with them before I went to the time and expense to get these made.

My advice would be: do some research with the manufacturer first, and if you want good earplugs for attenuating ambient noise, consider the Etymotic ones that preserve fidelity - designed for musicians.
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx
or cheaper at $12:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

audiojerry

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2007, 01:32 am »
Thanks to all for the help!  :beer:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2007, 07:18 am »
By the way, I don't know if you've noticed that Headroom is no longer carrying Etymotic (there was some difference of opinion behind the scenes) and is blowing the remaining stock out. A good time to buy Etymotic from their "B stock":

http://www.headphone.com/products/b-stock/

Also have you heard of the ety 8s? Bluetooth earphones - check them out!

http://www.etymotic.com/

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2007, 07:43 pm »
Hey Russell,

i just read your response about not liking the custom plugs, very interesting.  i don't know of anyone with them in their headphones, but always heard it was a step up from the stock plugs. 

about 2 yrs ago i went in for a check-up with the audiologist and had the molds done for custom Shure earplugs.   For as much time i spent going to shows at bars then, the $200 for the custom plugs with inserts was $ well spent.  The ones i have are cool in that i can attenuate at 9db, 15 db or 20 db...i never use the 20 db.   The best part is i can talk with people and not have to shout, very handy when BS'ing with friends at a loud bar with a raging funk band on stage.   

Sounds like the cheaper plugs from both Ety and Shure also have this attribute, a very very good thing for 10x less than i paid.

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2007, 02:07 am »
I've spent quite a bit of tiem with both of them and I felt the E4C was better.  I had a problem with the E5's bass being too overpowering and screwing up the rest of the frequency range for this phone.  I listened to both with the foam eartips.

Loftprojection

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2007, 11:09 am »
I have the E500 and for sound quality I think it is probably difficult to get anything much better than that from such small in your ear drivers.  They have a very redined sound and they isolate well from external noise.  The PTH is a nice gadget, I find it useful at work because you don't have to pull out the ear piece when someone wants to talk to you but other then at work I don't use it.  Never heard the e4c-e5c.

gooberdude

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2007, 02:22 pm »
I've had the E4c's for about a year..not sure i'm into shoving speakers deep into my ear.

I bought them off ebay for $170 new, a great deal.  had to burn them in for over a week so they wouldn't hurt my ears.  After burn-in i was impressed with the bass and emotion and all that.

My problem is that after an hour or so, my ears begin to hurt.   my guess is any in-ear isloator 'phone would do this though.

the E4c is a steal at $170...    i listened to the E5 @ audio consultants here, couldn't tell much of a difference.  wouldn't pay $330 more for it, that's for shure. 

ok, bad joke/pun???

If & when i change, i might try those funky B&O that sit outside the ear but seal the ear cavity.  i only use 'phones when traveling or biking.

kbuzz3

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2007, 06:17 pm »
The statements on bass going downhill unless you get an ideal seal into the ear canal are accurate.  I have custome plugs and still have to jam them pretty deep to getter the lower end response.  OTOH very nice overall p[resetnation and non fatiguing highs. I like them a lot. Just make sure you leave about two months for a learning curve on how to situate them into your earcanal. Yes i takes that long. Not only doyou have depth but side to side and fornt to back micro adjustments until you know whats right....

worth the effort in my opinion

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2007, 06:23 pm »
I own the Westone equivalent...sounds very good (haven't heard the two to compare) for about 20% less.

Lensman

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2007, 07:46 pm »
I also bought the Westones, the UM-1, single-driver version from www.earphonesolutions.com
Although I haven't tried the Shure brand, I can say that the Westones are very comfortable, which was one of the reasons I chose them.
Check out the reviews of the Westones at earphonesolutions.com and you'll notice numerous references to their comfort.

Lensman

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2007, 09:39 pm »
Yep, they make hearing aids and noise blockers for musicians, so they are little known in our audiophool circles.  But, they are comfy and sound good - for less.  There's info on them at Head-Fi.org it's not a completely unknown entity, anymore.

I use them all the time on plane trips.

I forgot what I paid for mine (about $200.00-250 from a Musician's Supply shop found on ebay)....I bought the one with the crossover, the UM2.

Singapura

« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2007, 03:22 am »
I own a pair of Ultimate ears Super.fi 5 Eb's which take getting used to. The bass can't be beat though, especially when used with an portable amplifier to tighten it. If you're interested in discussing IEM's why not visit http://www.head-fi.org, http://www.headphonehaven.com or http://www.sgheadphones.net?

audiojerry

« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2007, 12:27 pm »
Singapura?
We lost our beloved Sinagapora this past summer, and are still mourning.
What an amazing animal! My wife and I are cat lovers, and have always owned cats, but not have compared. Ty, was incredibly intellegent, playful, curious, extremely sassy, and completely lovable. 

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2007, 03:09 am »
I really like the E and Shure buds but as mentioned previously, I can't deal with something in my ear. My main job is Telecom and I talk on the phone so much that it makes me ill. The DC area is a hands-free zone so I have that bug in my ear alot.

If you can dig it, the Shure buds are really nice. I have to run them short term, as at some point I start flaing my arms around.

Mark