Cable wire splitting, how easy or how difficult?

Bemopti123

Cable wire splitting, how easy or how difficult?
« on: 23 Feb 2007, 10:14 pm »
Got the cable company to come and wire cable, both for the main floor and also for the basement.  I got two cable boxes. 

The problem is that since then, my basement has been refinished, and my contractors, due to their oversight left the cable terminal INSIDE the wall.  So, here I am needing to connect the cable box to the TV, but no cable wire on site. 

The good thing is that the cable box terminal outside is just next to a window, and the window is next to the TV that I want to connect.

How easy it is to cut and finish the cable wire, by adding a splitter in the end?  I remember seeing the cableman cut and spin around a tool in order to simply leave the copper inner core inside, then, he add a crimping unit with the nut on it.  He crimped the wire to it and that seem to be the end of it.

Of course, I am lacking of this tool, but I have plenty of tool to chop the wire, and I think I will be able to manage to cut the plastic and shielding into the conducting cooper wire. 

The question goes like this:

Will Home Depot carry the crimping end to finish the raw wire?

Is there a potential that I will shut down my entire house service by doing this on my own? 

any feedback would be certainly be welcome.

Paul K