Any opinions on non name brand LCD tvs such as Westinghouse?

Bemopti123

Check this link...

http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-LVM37W3-1080p-Video-Monitor/dp/B000EYZ994/sr=1-2/qid=1172256977/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-2181729-7705756?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

It screams "bargain" by just looking at the price and at the features.  Asides from non really having major picture improvement circuits as other name brands, can I do better than this for the price?  1K!

My living room is not too big, so I am trying to see if I can get something in the range of 42."  LCDs attract me because they are lighter, consume less energy...but I am afraid that if it is "too good to be true, it usually is" dilemma. 

Anyone with experiences on Westinghouse digital?  It seems to be that the new company simply borrows the venerable Westinghouse name, to stamp out there TVs.

Anyone has had the chance of comparing Westinghouse LCDs with other ones such as Samsung or Sony LCDs? :thumb:

SET Man

Re: Any opinions on non name brand LCD tvs such as Westinghouse?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2007, 07:09 pm »
Hey!

I'm currently using a 27" Olevia LCD TV. I've been using it since July last year and I'm very happy with it.  So far so good :D

Here is the link ...

http://www.olevia.com/jsp/home.jsp

Here is my set....

http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/otherModelspecs.jsp?pid=LT27HVX

They are at very good price and the picture quality is excellent. I have compared it side by side at the store against Samsung, Panasonic and yes Sony. And the picture is very good. :D Even better after I re-adjusted it :wink:

I don't know how many newer model from Olevia have 1080p right now :scratch:

There are lots of them on Target's site and I think J&R now carry them so you could go check it out and compare them to others.

Oh! hey.... if you want you could stop by and check out my set.... I mean TV set and not SET amps :lol: Let me know.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2007, 07:10 pm »
Hey Buddy, I will ride to your place one of these days.  Meanwhile, I need to patch that flat in my bike.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2007, 07:20 pm »
Hey Buddy, I will ride to your place one of these days.  Meanwhile, I need to patch that flat in my bike.

Hey!

Cool! :cool: It should get warmer in couple of weeks. :D

Anyway, you know for the price I paid for my set last year... right now I could get a 32" or 37" :roll:

If you are not in a hurry than there is no need to run out and get one. Especially that more and more set will now come with 1080p and getting cheaper too.

Actually I've been thinking of getting a 32" set for my living room but I'm not in hurry so I will wait for a while. And it is likely to be another Olevia set again. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2007, 07:31 pm »
A few things...

you are right Westinghouse the old company apparently doesn't exist, Westinghouse is just a licensed brand name, so evaluate this TV set on its own merits.

Woodsea has a 37" Westinghouse and I believe he is very happy with it.

As soon as you buy an LCD TV (like a PC) it is obsolete, so do a lot of research to find what you can live with for a few years (what inputs will you require - HD-DVD? PC? Cable/Sattellite?)

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2007, 07:38 pm »
Also you are aware that this is not a TV? Only a monitor, with no TV tuner at all.

LadyDog

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2007, 07:40 pm »
The Westy's are not quite in the league of Sony or Samsung.  No a bad tv though.  Believe they are manufactured by Sony.  

Can find more than enough info about that specific tv and others on avsforum.com.

For $1k you should also be able to catch a 42" name brand plasma on sale.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2007, 07:51 pm »
While I wouldn't normally buy something like this, until they come to a real agreement on DRM/HDMI 1.3x, etc., I think a low cost set for the interim may be a wise decision as opposed to spending a ton on a set that may easily not be compatible with whatever future solution they finally agree to.

Bryan

Thebiker

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2007, 08:02 pm »
I was working sales for a local mid-fi/HT chain a couple of years ago and they brought in the "Westinghouse" line.  I had the opportunity to see them next to the Samsungs and Toshiba's.  They were not as crisp and clean as the big names, but at the price, they weren't all bad.  All we had at that point from them was ED, but they looked OK with a good DVD feed.  We were only handling (I think) the 27" and 32".

Sold quite a few of them, and only had a couple come back, both WAF issues :|.

Jade East

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2007, 09:32 pm »
I have a Westinghouse 32inch lcd that is a few years old and for the money it has been great, no regrets.

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2007, 09:39 pm »
I think more than a "main TV" I was looking at the Westi to do more of a comp job like this one here...

http://www.123macmini.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=7

:thumb:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2007, 10:30 pm »
I looked at the 32" Westi when shopping for a 32"er and it looked blochy to me. I ended picking up the 32" Vizio at Costo. I couldn't be happier. For a 2nd tier brand it combines a decent panel with higher than average electronics and much better than average adjustability, in the menus, for a good value. I even use it as a monitor for my laptop. Theres a thread on AVS forums devoted to this model for a more thorough overview of this set. I understand the 37" model is very similar.

Woodsea

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2007, 01:42 am »
I picked the westy over the vizio  :dunno:
I also wanted 1080p  :thumb:
Westy's get great right ups as well.  Picture is not blotchy at least to my Short sighted astygmatistic eyes, except when watching regular TV.  Over 720 TV and DVD it looks great.

Bemopti123

« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2007, 02:58 am »
Any issues with sticking pixels or dead pixels in the unit?

F-100

42" LCD for $900
« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2007, 03:05 am »
Bemopti123,
   Here is a better deal for you:

Westinghouse 42" LCD TV (HDTV ready), DayBright panel, Widescreen format
* HDMI, Component x 2, VGA (connect to PC), S-video, DVI-D
* 178°(H) / 178°(V) viewing angle, 15 watt speakers x 2
Model #: W4207
Final Price: $899.99
After $100.00 Instant Savings
After $200.00 Mail-In-Rebate
After $100.00 Promo Code: EMC223WEST42

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889234005&CMP=EMC-PR-MKT-I-022307&ATT=N82E16889234005

cytocycle

« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2007, 04:01 am »
I own the 37" Westy and I'm typing on it now (It replaced one of my 20.1 Dell LCD's in my dual monitor setup) 1080p is awesome for computers!  First off this unit does not have a TV tuner but tons of inputs.  For movies the contrast ratio is not quiet up to the task if compared to screens twice the cost. The funny thing is my friend has the 40" Westy with the DVD player built in and she loves the monitor and I don't notice the lack of contrast by itself..  I only notice it because I have a contrastier LCD in my bedroom that is low res 1366x768.

For the money it's hard to beat..... get the 40" monitor for the same money.. bigger is always better for movies (unless you watch standard OTA... yuk).

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #16 on: 8 Mar 2007, 05:28 am »
Price drop on the 32" Vizio. $599 + tax at Costco.