Knob(s) for a JBL-SA 600 integrated amplifier

JBL-freak

Knob(s) for a JBL-SA 600 integrated amplifier
« on: 23 Feb 2007, 02:01 pm »
Hello Vintage people,

I am a newbie to this forum so i hope this is the right place to put my question.
Since a few weeks i own a JBL SA-600 integrated amplifer and the amplifier has been visibly mistreated through the years. Fortunately the amplifiers' front looks very good and i only have to paint the amp's enclosure. But....................unfortunately one of the knobs is missing and it seems to be pretty difficult to find a replacement. I would be very pleased if one of you could help me to find such an aluminium knurled pointer knob. More knobs are welcome too. Look at URL below to see a pic of that knob.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14757&highlight=JBL+SA-600

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands.

Scott F.

Re: Knob(s) for a JBL-SA 600 integrated amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2007, 03:25 pm »
Hi Jan,

I can't say for sure but it looks like this guy may have what you are looking for.
http://www.ultraelectronicactive.com/StarGarTubeParts.html#Vintage-Audio-Knobs
Knobs 5 and 6 look like they might be close to your JBL's.

Try a quick Google search using 'vintage audio knobs'. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Good luck in your search, that could be a tough one.

slbender

• The Bender Rebuild Vintage Amplifier Pages
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2007, 03:56 pm »
Jan,

Congrats on having an SA-600, I've always wanted one ( or an SA-660 ) but could never afford it when they became available on ebay.  Those knobs bear a striking similarity to ( but are not identical to ) the ones used on some of the 1970's vintage Harmon/Kardon sets: the Citation Eleven Preamp, the H/K 930 and 730 Receivers, etc.  They are so close I don't think you could even tell which is which at a distance.  The leading edge of the pointer doesn't have the same slightly angled taper, otherwise it appears to be the same knob.  It is somewhat difficult to tell if the overall diameter is about the same as you gave no dimensions, but the Citation Eleven knobs are exactly 1.0 inch in diameter knurl peak to knurl peak; while the H/K 930's are 13/16ths inch in diameter.

The Citation Eleven knobs have a half-moon permanent insert that is not position adjustable, while the H/K 930 Receiver's knobs are made to fit a knurled shaft, so the pointer can be properly repositioned at any about 15 degree angle increments, to determine proper end to end travel.  First consideration is, what kind of shaft is present on the SA-600.  You might have to dremel either the shaft or the knob in case of a mismatch.  Also you may or may not have to dremel off some of the rear of the pointer to get the knob to go in deep enough without the end of the pointer hitting or scraping the front panel.  Still, a junker H/K 930, or 730, or 430, etc. will cost way less than a another SA-600.

Hope that helps!

-Steven L. Bender, designer of vintage audio equipment

Hello Vintage people,

I am a newbie to this forum so i hope this is the right place to put my question.
Since a few weeks i own a JBL SA-600 integrated amplifer and the amplifier has been visibly mistreated through the years. Fortunately the amplifiers' front looks very good and i only have to paint the amp's enclosure. But....................unfortunately one of the knobs is missing and it seems to be pretty difficult to find a replacement. I would be very pleased if one of you could help me to find such an aluminium knurled pointer knob. More knobs are welcome too. Look at URL below to see a pic of that knob.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14757&highlight=JBL+SA-600

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands.

JBL-freak

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2007, 09:04 pm »
Thanks Scott and Steven,

I really appreciate your input. I already had seen those knobs on Ebay and yes they look identical, but they are a bit smaller. I guess in the meantime i have seen  the websites of all  knob-manufacturers on planet earth
My brother in law has a few HK's with aluminium knurled pointerknobs, but they don't have the same diameter as the JBL knobs.
The JBL knobs have a diameter of 0,75" (2,1 centimeters) and they have a lenght of 1 1/4" (3,1 centimeters) the indicator has a lenght of 0,75" (2,3 centimeters) measured from the frontside of the knob.
I will do some research after that HK with the look a like knobs ! I was told it wouldn't be easy to find parts for an SA-600 for these amplifiers rarely get parted out. Even a non-working SA-600 might cost a small fortune. Lately i saw an SA-600 offered in Japan for some 315.000 Yen and in my opinion that's too much money for a forty years old amp. Well, anyway, thanks again for your help.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands.

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl

some young guy

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2007, 06:21 pm »

Very nice work! :drool: