NEW DODD AUDIO DIGITAL AMP

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
NEW DODD AUDIO DIGITAL AMP
« on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:14 am »
Hello everyone. I am about to introduce a new tripath based amp design that is
using batteries. And from what I'm hearing it is better than the hypex based amp
I built last year. This new amp will be an available product. It is so good I am going
to ask if I can enter it in the amp shootout in March.   :green: :green:
gary

tdangelo

Re: NEW DODD AUDIO DIGITAL AMP
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:26 am »
hopefully you will have your wood casing supplier problems figured out by then (if the amp will have wood casing).  ;)

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:27 am »
Actually it sounds alot like the tubes. It has some of the tube warmth and body, but far from the tube amps. It is very dynamic and clean. The whole spectrum is a touch thinner than the tubes. It is easy to listen to and it is quite musical. Noise don't ask, it doesn't exist! :drool:
Gary

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:28 am »
The amps will have the wood, but no chrome
gary

RAW

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:37 am »
 :weights:

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:53 am »
gary

I still keep wondering when somebody is going to make a digital amp with a simple tube input/driver stage  :scratch:  Wink, wink?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:57 am »
Did you try the UCD modules with batteries?  I been playing with SLA powering a pair of UCD 180s.  At +/- 36VDC they sounded very good but not significantly better than with a conventional PS. 

But when I tried to run them off +/- 24VDC, WOW!  This is something special!  Fast, clean, open, tons of resolution, and reeeeeelaxing.  I can feel the stress draining from my body when I listen to music through this amp.  But the most important thing to me is that they don't make my ears ring like every other digital amp I've heard.  My vintage VTL and Quicksilver amps are bummed out at being demoted to second-string, at least for the moment.

The down side is that at 24V the UCDs run out of gas a lot sooner.  I know I'm getting much less power than the rated 90wpc.  But in my biamped setup I'm able to get away with it for the most part.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:57 am »
gary

I still keep wondering when somebody is going to make a digital amp with a simple tube input/driver stage  :scratch:  Wink, wink?

Take the input stage of Olson's Karna and replace the input opamp of the Hypex UcD amp and you got it....actually I've been thinking about it. 

brj

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2007, 01:01 am »
Quote from: Russtafarian
Did you try the UCD modules with batteries?

If I recall correctly based on Gary's comments at the last amp comparison, his Hypex based amp was a completely stock (UcD400?) Hypex module with a very high quality balanced power supply feeding it.

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2007, 01:44 am »
I just talked to Gary a few minutes ago.  This amp will have a battery powered option. I can't wait to hear it.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2007, 02:02 am »
I still keep wondering when somebody is going to make a digital amp with a simple tube input/driver stage  Scratch Head  Wink, wink?

Jon L.,

There are probably quite a few by now. One that I can think of off the top of my head is Joe Rasmussen's JLTi amplifier co-designed with Allen Wright. The only thing is that the solid state amp portion is based off of the National Semiconductor LM3875 (gainclones). As for fellas who are doing tube/tripath combos, I'm sure there are some out there, I do recall seeing one from China.

Best,
Anand.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2007, 02:08 am »

Subtle HINT! HINT! HINT!

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2007, 02:46 am »
I still keep wondering when somebody is going to make a digital amp with a simple tube input/driver stage    Wink, wink?

You just drive it with Gary's battery powered tube pre-amp and you're there.  :green:

alotaklipsch

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:46 am »
Hello everyone. I am about to introduce a new tripath based amp design that is
using batteries. And from what I'm hearing it is better than the hypex based amp
I built last year. This new amp will be an available product. It is so good I am going
to ask if I can enter it in the amp shootout in March.   :green: :green:
gary

Gary, congrat's, and hope this makes your mornings better :duh: :drool:call me sometime soon.  BTW, I got my NWO today, so I be happy too :dance: :banana piano:My $$$$ on you, for the shootout.  GOODLUCK, my friend.