Vintage tube reciever recommendations

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
Vintage tube reciever recommendations
« on: 21 Feb 2007, 03:14 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting a vintage tube reciever (or solid state with "tube" sound). I want something that can be easily repaired/upgraded and will rival the new stuff in a sound quality. The most important things to me are high quality of the tuner and the amp section and ability to run the amp seperately.

I have heard good things about Fisher 500 but I'm hoping for more suggestions.

Thanks in advancve,

Rafal

Brad

Re: Vintage tube reciever recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2007, 05:42 pm »
Hey Rafal,

The Fishers are very nice (The 800 series will get you AM too) - and Scott made a receiver back then.
If you can get by with just an integrated, the EICOs are pretty highly regarded too.

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2007, 06:57 pm »
Hey!

Fisher and Scott are nice. :D But getting one of this vintage beauties will be costly sometime especially one in good condition. :?

Plus the fact that if it still in working condition is it likely need some restoration and cleaning if you want to use it on daily basis.  :icon_lol:

But one the bright side... depend on which model they are great vintage piece and if done right it should hold it value well for many years to come. :D

Man! I wish I've bought a few of these back than when eBay were still new :(

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2007, 07:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting a vintage tube reciever (or solid state with "tube" sound). I want something that can be easily repaired/upgraded and will rival the new stuff in a sound quality. The most important things to me are high quality of the tuner and the amp section and ability to run the amp seperately.

Rafal

I think SET Man has nailed some of the potential pitfalls with getting a vintage receiver.  I keep hearing about some of the caps/resistors that cannot be upgraded, so when you get a vintage unit, you need to keep hoping that it will not have a part that cannot be replaced.  There are some superb sounding units out there for a price.  I got a Harman Kardon Twin Transformer model 730 for about $120 from Ebay.  It is SS, but it is warm sounding as a tubed unit.  The unit is very rugged, but as it was to be expected with an unit that might be about 26 years old, I had it sent for major upgrade.

The unit was practically overhauled up to what was possible.  I got rid of the cheesy spring loaded binders and put some nice Cardas one hand wheeled binders (only Spades need to apply), the unit now has a hospital grade PC and socket.  The FM section and its defective DX chip or something was rebuilt.  The preamp and amplifier sections redone.  The only thing that was left stock was the Phono amp section. 

I paid $600 for the rebuilt.  Whether it was worth to spend that many pennies and excellent parts on such unit is up for common sense judgment.  But, in order to keep a vintage unit operating up to specs, you need and will want to budget some major trouble shooting money. 

How does the unit sound now?  ooooodles of low end, nice non glary sound, with lack of grain in the performance.  It has power to spare, and I now have it on a secondary system.

More than value, I believe my $700+ spent in refurbishing the unit, satisfies my own taste for what is old, instead of using the money to buy the latest and greatest.  The issue now is that most of the stuff made these days is terribly underbuilt, and who can beat the sense of style that my redone unit has?  Tubed receivers will cost more to do.

BTW, my receiver is actually a preamp and amp together, just joined by U jumpers.  Someday I will play with some short wires to see whether the quality of the sound improves. 

weirdo

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2007, 08:03 pm »
I recommend buying one fully refurbished and warranteed.  I owned a beautiful Scott tube receiver 45wpc. I had 2 years of incredible sound from it but unfortunately a lot of maintainence as well.

Hell with it, it was worth it. anyway. dk

slbender

• The Bender Rebuild Vintage Amplifier Pages
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2007, 09:50 pm »
Getting specific -

The Fisher 500 was a mono unit, often these still command surprisingly high prices. The 500b and 800b also go for high prices and may be worth ones attention.  Other 1960's Fisher receivers used the EL84 output tubes and were in the 12-15 wpc range, while the 500 and 500b used tube rectifiers, the 500 I think had a pair of 6V6 or 6L6's on the output, while the 500b's I think used the 7591's for about 30-33 wpc due to the large losses in the tube rectifiers. The last versions in this series, the 500c and 800c, use solid state rectifiers. The 500c came in two versions, one with a Nuvister FM front end, and the other with glass tube FM front end, both used 7591's for about 35 wpc.  I suppose they are about equivalent, mine has the Nuvister front end.  The Fisher 400 was a similar, but more minimalist version of the 500c, it used 7868 output tubes, and about 33 wpc. and was otherwise pretty much the same, but missing a few stages and frills. Some people thought it was sonically superior to the 500c, I really can't say for sure either way.

For a while, the 7591 tubes were pretty much unavailable, except for high priced NOS items, now the selection includes the Electro-Harmonix, which physically are a big gargantuan, and reportedly a same as NOS sized tube from another brand.  I haven't tried either of the new replacements YMMV.

When buying such a 1960's tube stereo receiver, several parts should be replaced for safety sake, and perhaps a half a dozen more may need to be replaced if failing.  But remember, the more you have some numb-nut-techie-wanna-be rip the set apart, replacing all the parts with modern caps, resistors, tubes, and "wire", the less it will sound like an "Old School" vintage tube amplifier.

While eBay can be the source for a retrieved from garbage-can tube Receiver, a claimed mint and working tube receiver, or a refurbished unit, as can a local garage sale, expect any tube set to need some TLC over the course of a few years.  If you are not equipped to make it like new yourself, then many places will still help out, but the price will probably be excessive, so it not worth doing to a set, unless it was top rated, and had highly regarded transformers.  :)

Lastly, simply stated, there is no such thing as "solid-state with "tube" sound", it can't be done.  Believe me, I've tried to do that for years and years.  A few of the most neutral solid state power amps can let the "tube" sound - of a Tube Preamp preceding it "come through" but those are rare, and few, and far in between sets, no known transistor receiver sounds like tube equipment, period, it can't.

The H/K 730 (~35 wpc) and H/K 930 (~45 wpc) are simplified versions of the Citation 11, 12, & 15 components (but minus the 5 band tone controls) and built using Japanese transistors, and parts.  They have a nice look, good construction, and a fair amount of features, sonically they are average or above average sounding 1970's solid state sets, when working properly.

-Steven L. Bender

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting a vintage tube receiver (or solid state with "tube" sound). I want something that can be easily repaired/upgraded and will rival the new stuff in a sound quality. The most important things to me are high quality of the tuner and the amp section and ability to run the amp separately.

I have heard good things about Fisher 500 but I'm hoping for more suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Rafal

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2007, 05:34 pm »
Rafal,
          Mapleshade is offering rebuilt Scott units at a reasonable price.Check them out at www.mapleshaderecords.com
rollo

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2007, 11:30 pm »
Rafal,
          Mapleshade is offering rebuilt Scott units at a reasonable price.Check them out at www.mapleshaderecords.com
rollo

The Mapleshade Scott is highly modified and basically reduced to the phono and preamp sections but with all tone, balance, and other front panel controls bypasseed, and the circuitry modified.  I'm sure it sounds fantastic, but I don't believe it will have that genuine Scott sound if that's important to you.  At $900 it isn't cheap.  You can buy a decent condition 222 for around $300 and have it rebuilt for between $250 and $400 for real quality work.  Mapleshade will mod your Scott if you provide one, but they will charge you $800 to do that.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, just be aware of the relative costs of the different approaches.

I have a 222-C, and would also someday like to get myself a Fisher 400.

-- Jim