Can a novice build these speakers effectively? Particularly the RS-1?

ajzepp

I've been talking with Danny via email about picking up some RS-1s for my surrounds since DeVore Fidelity doesn't have an option for me as of yet. I'm a medical guy; I haven't "made" anything since 8th grade wood shop. Danny has helped me with a contact who can build the cabinets, and he says putting the actual speaker together isnt' as hard as I might think, so I thought I'd check with those of you who have actually done it.

If someone builds the cabinets for me and all I have to do is install the drivers and wire them up, can I feasibly do a competent job being a novice? Any of you non-technical folks built any of these speakers with success?

Thanks!

S Clark

With the cabinets built, there is absolutely nothing to putting together one of Danny's kits. My high school physics students do it every year. You will have no trouble with it- and you will be getting  very good quality for very little $$

RAW

I will say the surrounds are the hardest to build from all of the GR designs.
Only due to the angles you have to cut on the pieces.Not impossible but still you must think it threw.

ajzepp

Thanks guys, so if the cabinets are taken care of by someone else, then what's left for me to do is pretty easy....go it :)

TomS

I did all the crossovers in my four AV1-RS's in one evening, final assembly the next.  It's really no sweat at all.  Tom

Joey Skinner

If you have basic soldering skills it's easy. If you don't, just practice on some scrap components until you get it down. Here is a link to help on x-over component placement: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm
Here is another link with some good pictures of a crossover being assembled: http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Articles/constxo/xoconst.htm

What kind of finish are you thinking about for the cabinets?
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2007, 01:09 pm by Joey Skinner »

Loftprojection

I had never built a cabinet and had never done any kind of soldering before I decided to order a full kit of A/V-3-A/V-3s-A/V-1rs.  For the cabinets I was quite confident because I'm doing a lot of house renovations myself but for the crossover I was a bit nervous.  Turned out to be very easy, you just have to take your time, verify, re-verify and re-re-re-verify again to make sure you've got the wires hooked up to the right piece and specially for polarity. 

Bottom line, if you are a patient person and specially if the cabinets are already assembled for you, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to build those.

Danny Richie

The wiring diagram is in picture form. The woofer circuit consists of two parts (one inductor and one capacitor). The tweeter circuit consists of three parts (two capacitors and one inductor). Then there are two small by-pass caps (little white Sonicaps) on the two tweeter capacitors that mount right one each cap. You just connect the parts and solder them together. See pic of completed networks.

You have wires running to the crossover from the binding posts and wires running from the crossover to the drivers.

If you get stuck or need help I can call you after hours and walk you through it.

ajzepp

Thanks again, guys. I feel better about it. I like a challenge, I just don't want to screw anything up that pertains to my HT, lol.

Joey: The finish on my mains is Italian Ebony, which I really like. I will at least inquire with Danny's cabinet guy about a veneer that might match this, otherwise I'm not all that concerned that it looks identical. Just something relatively dark so that they don't stand out like sore thumbs, you know? And thanks for the links!

slksc

I'm just finishing my AV-1RS kits, and I certainly qualify as a novice (at best).  For building the cabinets, I think the critical thing (in addition to patience) is the right tools; a good table saw and a good router are musts.  If you don't have those, you're better off getting the cabinets built for you.  In terms of the wiring, I know nothing about electronics and I still completed the wiring in each kit in about an hour.  Danny's wiring diagrams are very easy to read.

Brian Bunge

I believe I'm the guy Danny mentioned to you about building cabinets for you.  Several years ago I was building cabinets for Danny and his customers full time.  A bad marriage and subsequent divorce along with a recent move from Metro Atlanta to Central Florida caused me to have to abandon cabinet building for some time.  But I am now back in the cabinet and speaker building business.

The current look of his cabinets with the rounded vertical edges on the front and rear was something I came up with and then Danny had the grills made to accomodate this little aesthetic change.  From what I can tell, they have been a great success.

If you are interested in having me build cabinets for you feel free to send me an email.  We can discuss finish options and prices offline.  I can even send you pics of some of my past work.  You can reach me at brian@radhometheater.com with any questions you have.

ajzepp

Thanks, Brian...I will definitely contact you in the very near future about the cabinets. I will be moving into my new place in the next two weeks, and then I'll be about ready to pull the trigger. I will likely go with three speakers instead of two or four. I'd love to just go to 7.1, but 6.1 will have to suffice given the constraints of the room. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my mains are in real Italian Ebony and I love them, but I'm not sold on finding a veneer to match. Just something dark brownish.

Sorry to hear about the divorce....I live north of Atlanta currently and went through the same bullshit as you, lol. Glad to hear you're back in the saddle....I'm trying to get there myself! 

-AJ

ajzepp

I'm just finishing my AV-1RS kits, and I certainly qualify as a novice (at best).  For building the cabinets, I think the critical thing (in addition to patience) is the right tools; a good table saw and a good router are musts.  If you don't have those, you're better off getting the cabinets built for you.  In terms of the wiring, I know nothing about electronics and I still completed the wiring in each kit in about an hour.  Danny's wiring diagrams are very easy to read.

Yeah, I have no interest in messing with the cabinets...my HT is too important to me. I'm glad to hear your input, though, cause it sounds like you were in the same position as myself....thanks!

RAW

Brian
Good to see you back.
Talked to Hank on the weekend and even asked Hank if he had talked to you since the move.

All the best

Brian Bunge

AJ,

Over the course of about 13 years I lived in Decatur, Norcross, Lawrenceville and spent the last 7 years there in Loganville.  I don't miss Atlanta at all!  I'm only 10 miles from the beach now!

The divorce was a few years ago and I remarried back in November to a wonderful woman.  It really helps that she loves my family and especially love my mother.  And the feelings are mutual.  Makes my life much easier.

I can also do full speaker assembly for you for not much more if you'd like.  Just something to think about just in case.

Al, thanks!  I need to catch up with all you guys.

ajzepp

lol, I know those areas well and I'm envious that you got the hell outta dodge! If not for family reasons I'd be taking off myself, but I'll be here for the near future. Congrats on the remarriage!  She have any available sisters? lol

Thanks for letting me know about the assembly...I may take you up on that depending on how things go on my end.

wshuff

Brian,

Good to see you back around.  Ten minutes from the beach, huh?  Guess that explains why you don't spend much time on the forum anymore.

Brian Bunge

AJ,

My mother lives in Macon and the rest of my family is pretty much still in Milledgeville or the surrounding area.

Stacy,

Good to see you again.  Yeah, my current full time job is as an Avionics Tech and I have every other Friday off.  With my wife and step-daughter at work and school I'll finally be able to take some surfing lessons!  :thumb:

Brian Bunge

Oh, here was my personal pair of A/V-2's before I sold them.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
But I am now back in the cabinet and speaker building business.
:duh: Some masochists never learn.  I told Al that you had abandoned building speakers for the same reason I was seriously considering doing so - the WAF Factor that killed so many sales, and the cost of shipping that turned off so many potential customers.  What happened to the HT install idea?
Give me a call some evening and we'll catch up.  I had a good conversation with Al a few nights ago.
-All the best.