For Sale: Very nice pair of JBL L-200 speakers

macrojack

• Restricted
For Sale: Very nice pair of JBL L-200 speakers
« on: 21 Feb 2007, 03:10 am »
These have been in my circle for almost twenty years. The original foam grills dried to dust many years ago and have been replaced with very professional cloth with the JBL logo pins still affixed. Cabinets are near perfect and drivers look fine. Only blem is a broken spring clip speaker connector on one speaker.
I'm in western Colorado and shipping would be cost prohibitive so I'm trolling for a buyer within driving distance. If interested call me to negotiate the price and the meeting place. Asking $1250 for the pair.

blizzard

Re: For Sale: Very nice pair of JBL L-200 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2007, 03:23 am »
Hey Macrojack,
  Wish you lived on the East Coast.  These are real nice speakers.  I love the bass out of these guys.

Good Luck,
                    Steve

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2007, 12:59 pm »
Macrojack,

I'm watching this to see whow it goes.  I have what sounds to be a similar condition pair of L-300 Summits that I'll be putting up for sale once I get the surrounds on the woofers replaced.  I'm only the second owner and everything else checks out in great condition so I'm really, really hesitant to sell them

So, maybe if there's a JBL collector who is coming through Colorado to pick these up, how about stopping by in Boulder and picking up the 300s at the same time :-)  Bring a full-size pickup -- you'll need it.

Good luck with the sale, these vintage JBLs are really something special and will only appreciate in value as they age (assuming they are kept in good condition.)

You might also try posting on the lansingheritage.org site if you haven't already done so.

Good luck,

Jim

These have been in my circle for almost twenty years. The original foam grills dried to dust many years ago and have been replaced with very professional cloth with the JBL logo pins still affixed. Cabinets are near perfect and drivers look fine. Only blem is a broken spring clip speaker connector on one speaker.
I'm in western Colorado and shipping would be cost prohibitive so I'm trolling for a buyer within driving distance. If interested call me to negotiate the price and the meeting place. Asking $1250 for the pair.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2007, 08:52 pm »
Hi Jim,

It so happens I bought these speakers back in the 80s from a guy in Boulder. They resided in Wallstreet until last summer.

Tom

gooberdude

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2007, 09:16 pm »
Would you guys know offhand if the JBL L-100 speaks, from the mid 70's, are as valuable
as the L-200's?

A good friend has a pair.  years back we were roommies and one of the midrange drivers went out.  For a week i tried to convince the guy something was wrong until finally a ripping guitar solo came through, probably Trey Anastasio, and i flipped the balance from left to right.   It was clearly audible in the ok speaker, not audible at all in the other.  In the end I paid to have it fixed since i was the only one who cared!  lugging that thing up and down 3 flights of stairs sucked....

To this day i have an affinity for 15" woofers 'cuz of those...

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2007, 09:41 pm »
Tom,

Looks like they have travelled around a bit.  Did you ship them or did you bring them along possibly on a moving van?  One thing that's really good in my case is that they went from the dealer to a house in Denver and then to my house in the back of a station wagon, so there has been really no exposure to shipping company apes or the like.

Matt,

I honestly don't know about the L-100s but my guess is that they're nowhere near as valuable as either the 200s or 300s.  I don't even remember exactly how big they are.  You wouldn't want to be lugging the L-300s up stairs by yourself -- they are the size of a counter-height dorm refrigerator and weigh about 140 pounds each.  The midrange compression horn driver itself is a rather impressive piece of metal, and the magnet on the woofer is something like 25 pounds.

Check eBay, you see the L-100s there fairly frequently.

I hate to get rid of these myself, but they are really the only piece of my gear that failed the WAF test, and normally she's totally supportive of my audio stuff so I really can't complain.  I've got it reall good, and in so many more ways than this.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:37 am »
Jim,

I drove my L-200s over the mountain in my station wagon.

Matt,

L-100s are a 12 inch 3 way from the same era as Jim's and mine. The L-100 is the typical 2 cubic foot ported box of the era roughly the size of large Advents. They were efficienct and very popular and very bass heavy. As with all vintage stuff, price is heavily dependant on condition and originality. Think between $350 and $650 per pair.
The L-200 and L-300 are floor standers of about 4 cubic feet. Jim's are a 3-way and mine are a 2-way. Both have 15 inch woofers and horn midranges. The 300 has 075 slot radiator tweeter, the same one that comes in the L-65 Jubals.
These monsters have alnico magnets, edge wound voice coils and cast aluminum baskets. They are as well put together as anything from that era and better than the mega dollar speakers of today. I used to sell them long ago at the Chrisman Speaker Company. Does that ring any bells?

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2007, 02:54 pm »
These monsters have alnico magnets, edge wound voice coils and cast aluminum baskets. They are as well put together as anything from that era and better than the mega dollar speakers of today. I used to sell them long ago at the Chrisman Speaker Company. Does that ring any bells?

Tom,

Where you asking me if the Chrisman Speaker Co. sounds familiar?  If so, no, never heard of it.  Is that a Boulder thing?  I've only been living here for 12 years so don't know the whole audio history of the area :-).  Though there is a whole lot of it... Boulder Amps, Avalon, Ayre, Jeff Rowland, Sound Labs, Teres, Galibier, and Now Quicksilver, AV123, and probably others that I'm missing like Wayne, Ron Welborne, and so on.  Lots of audio came from here and the EE and Physics departments at CU.

-- Jim

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2007, 01:07 am »
Jim,

Crisman was started in the early 70s by Will Luden. He lived in Crisman (up 4 mile canyon) at the time. Hence the name. He made his own speakers and was asked by friends to make them some. This became popular enough that he started a retail business in a little stone house on West Walnut next to Nancy's Restaurant.
Eventually Will realized that people were buying his speakers and then going somewhere else for electronics so he picked up a couple of receiver lines. By the time I came along in 1975, there was a store in Fort Collins and another in Denver about to open. I worked in the Denver location. A few years after I moved on, Luden decided to go to Harvard business school and sold the biz to a fellow with empire building on his mind. That didn't work out too well and Crisman dissolved by the mid or late 80s. It was one of Boulder's early institutions like White Wave and Mountain High. I'm sure you can still find some old Crisman speakers in use. They weren't very good but they sounded good in a smoky room.
I later worked at Listen Up on Arapahoe in Boulder before it became a TV store.
Personally, I think Listen Up was the primary reason that Denver and surroundings became something of an audio hotbed. Jeff Rowland and Charlie Hansen were two of the first guys to get that ball rolling. Charlie started Avalon and then sold it to Patel and started Ayre. One of Jeff Rowlands proeges, Michael Grace moved to Boulder about 15 years ago and started Grace Design. That's a company you might like to investigate. Mickey Houlihan's Wind Over the Earth is another. Mickey deals in pro equipment selling to musiciands and studios mostly. Boulder Amplifier has been there a very long time until my mentor, Bruce Van Allen came in and boosted their fortunes as sales manger. Actually Bruce had a lot to do with Ayre's rise also when he was sales manager there. He's still around Boulder. Care to meet him? He goes way back. He was the first national sales manager for Cello.
I don't know of any direct connections to the CU science curriculum but a number of the guys you mentioned were not from the area originally or came along after I left.

jrebman

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2007, 01:36 am »
Is that Grace as in Grace tonearms?  My mentor at CU uses a Grace preamp in front of his Alesys MasterLink for mobile recording.  I know Mickey fairly well -- when I first moved into this house he was going to help me design my basement space into a recording studio and I've bought pro gear from him over the years.

Did you ever hear of Chellani (sp?) speakers?  My very first system once I got serious was a pair of Wave 8 amps, and Audio Note CD2.1x, an Audio Note M1 preamp, and a pair of 2-way Chellani monitors.  Not a bad system considering I had a total of about $2200 in it.

I'm supposed to visit a friend in Denver this weekend for a listening session and another of the original Avalon guys, Robert Thorne will be giving me a ride down -- haven't met him yet.  I met Charlie the summer before last sitting out in central park at the Wednesday evening farmer's market.  Turns out his kids go to school with my next door neighbor's.  Small world.

Oh yeah, forget about Edge Electronics, they started here too but now are in Florida, I think.

Well, anytime you're back this way be sure to look me up.

BTW, as a result of this thread I have a potential buyer for the L-300s, but somehow I need to get them to California, and not by any freight company, no sir :-).

-- Jim

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2007, 03:24 am »
Jim,

I advise any and every one to avoid Michael Celani at all costs. His brother owns Smooth Motors on Folsom.
Mickey and Michael Grace are friends. Your professor's Grace piece is no doubt from mike.
When I worked at Listen Up, one of my fellow salesmen was Tommy Maker who later started Edge.
Congratulations on finding a buyer. Maybe in a place like Boulder you can find a trustworthy soul to transport your JBLs to Cal. I'm trying to trade mine for a piano. They are part of a music room setup I created in our garage for the boys but they do not ever use them. They like my Definitions or their Grado headphones.
JBls are gathering dust. They need to be used by somebody.