Sony 9000ES

Spirit

• Volunteer
Sony 9000ES
« on: 20 Feb 2007, 11:57 pm »
I am complete newbie when it comes to Modwright, so please bear with me if I am asking some questions that certainly have been discussed previously.
I own a mint (hardly used) Sony 9000ES.  I would love to learn more about the mods from those of you who have this unit in modded form.
How does the this modded unit differ or compare to the 9100ES modded?
thanks

MarkR7

Re: Sony 9000ES
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2007, 01:36 am »
Get your 9000ES modded by Dan using the "Bon Mods", and along with it, get the clock upgrade, the tube rectified power supply, a coppper umbilical (I use a cryo'ed, braided Jena Labs copper umbilical) , and a pair of inexpensive 7044 tubes, and don't look back.  I don't know how it will compare to the modded 9100ES (which I have heard good things about), but this one killed a modded 999ES quite easily (which I also owned).

With the Bon Modded 9000ES, you get a wonderful, blooming soundstage, with a seductive midrange, but the "speed" is there as well as highs and low extension.  I have no reason to look for other "digital" options for my system!

I am complete newbie when it comes to Modwright, so please bear with me if I am asking some questions that certainly have been discussed previously.
I own a mint (hardly used) Sony 9000ES.  I would love to learn more about the mods from those of you who have this unit in modded form.
How does the this modded unit differ or compare to the 9100ES modded?
thanks

modwright

Re: Sony 9000ES
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2007, 08:42 pm »
The 9000ES mods differ from the 9100ES mods first of all because it is a different unit of course. The stock player (9100ES) has newer DACs and excellent build quality.  The 9000ES has excellent build quality also.  The 'Bon Mod' for the 9000ES is a special mod that did prove to have very desirable musical qualities.  The tube circuit used in this mod is older than that which is used in the 9100ES, but it can be had with the upgraded tube-rectified 'Signature' 9.0SE supply, clock upgrade and copper AZT umbilical that are highly recommended and would make the unit sound fantastic.

Total cost for recommended mods:

Bon Mods.
Upgraded clock - LC Audio XO3 clock.
Upgraded Cu umbilical (AZT).
Tube Rectified PS.

Cost = $2300 + shipping.

Sony 9100ES Mods, including clock, umbilical and tube-rectified supply = $2900 (or $3500 including the player - tube supply upgrade supply included at no add'l charge).

Thanks,

Dan W.