A technical question about an IEC connection

Spirit

• Volunteer
A technical question about an IEC connection
« on: 18 Feb 2007, 06:00 pm »
I don't think I have ever seen this question asked.
I own a gorgeous (looks and sound) Pioneer Elite PD S95 transport.
Being of early 90's vitage, the unit was made with a fixed AC cord.
I took the unit to my local Audio shop and asked the tech to open the unit and install
an IEC connector in the back so that I would be able to use my choice of aftermarket cords.
He just called me to tell me that there is no room anywhere to place the connector and that the only thing to do was to choose a high quality new cord and hard wire it, to replace the stock cord.
It just dawned on me that perhaps there is one more thing to try and that is why I am posing this question.
Would it be sensible to hard wire a quality short cord (say 6") into the internal transformer, pull the open end through the round hole and then wire the IEC to the open end on the outside.  The IEC woulkd then be dangling but with careful usage of plugging and unplugging, would that be a sensible idea?
Look forward to your help.

markC

Re: A technical question about an IEC connection
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2007, 06:11 pm »
You could use a small block of wood and cut out the opening for the iec with a jig saw, etc. Then you could mount the piece of wood to the unit with a couple of screws. If you decide to remove it later, you could just put screws in the holes and nothing would look out of the ordinary. This would allow you to use very short wires to connect to the tranny and it would be a solid mount instead of having the iec dangling in the breeze.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2007, 06:13 pm »
That's a good idea and there should be no problem doing it. There are few different ways to ensure locking of the cable and the pigtail connector - you can make simple contraption from a piece of stiff wire or use Velcro (hook and loop system) - it's available as self-adhesive tape. You cut two small patches of the "hook" part and place them on the pigtail and cable connectors - the "loop" part ties them together. You can also consider using specialized plastic locks, but they are not that easy to find.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2007, 06:42 pm »
You could use a small block of wood and cut out the opening for the iec with a jig saw, etc. Then you could mount the piece of wood to the unit with a couple of screws. If you decide to remove it later, you could just put screws in the holes and nothing would look out of the ordinary. This would allow you to use very short wires to connect to the tranny and it would be a solid mount instead of having the iec dangling in the breeze.
Markc
I sent you a PM

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2007, 10:22 pm »
Why butcher your nice CD player for something that will have questionable results?

I wonder if it will sound any better and it sounds like your on the road to a fire hazard, or at least nullifying the UL label on the CD player, making it un-sellable.

Just a thought.

W

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2007, 11:18 pm »
I think audiophiles are too hung up on swapping power cords.  Just find one you like and hardwire it.  If it is a reuseable strain relief (I use the ones for electrical boxes you get at HD) then you can just take on the cord and put in a new one with relative ease, especially if he uses a molex connector inside the chassis the the wiring.

Food for thought.  I like to use Neutrix powercon connectors for detacheable power cords.  I am not sure if that would be smaller enough to make it work.

DonnieW

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2007, 07:40 pm »
I think audiophiles are too hung up on swapping power cords.  Just find one you like and hardwire it.  If it is a reuseable strain relief (I use the ones for electrical boxes you get at HD) then you can just take on the cord and put in a new one with relative ease, especially if he uses a molex connector inside the chassis the the wiring.

Food for thought.  I like to use Neutrix powercon connectors for detacheable power cords.  I am not sure if that would be smaller enough to make it work.

Yeah I agree, but the only caveat is that you're not able to test them out easily.  You've basically go to hard wire them in and hope for the best.  If you could swap them out, different story.

gooberdude

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2007, 10:26 pm »
If the original poster has, say, wall outlets or a power strip from an audio mfgr....maybe just lopping off the male plug and installing a better one would suffice?

i've found this simple mod to provide fun audible results on my cdp with a captive cord.