SP2 remote anomaly

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
SP2 remote anomaly
« on: 18 Feb 2007, 05:16 pm »
Does anyone else have an issue with the SP2 not accepting remote IR signals when booted up?  Happens like 50+% of the time.  I have the latest (I think) 08-27 firmware.  I've noticed if I hit the power button again (on front panel) it will more often than not fix the problem, and remote signals will now be accepted.  It's quite frustrating to sit in the listening chair, however, and find you can't adjust volume, etc and have to run up and do the reboot or button push.  I mean, I absolutely love the sound of this pre/pro (kicks my previous Lexicon MC-1 or Denon 4806 around) but it acts too much like a fragile piece of pc gear. 

Oh, and let's have a real owners manual Jim!    :o  I mean, it's Class A rated in Stereophile, but has easily the WORST owners manual, short of translated Chinese gear. 

Anyway, every piece of gear has its' foibles, and the SP2 is no different in that regard, but they are unfortunately much more the user interface stuff, so they show up more blatantly.  I will still put this box up against most other high $$ pre/pro's in terms of sonics.
Ted

brucek

Re: SP2 remote anomaly
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2007, 06:29 pm »
Ted,

I used to have the problem of the remote not accepting commands, but traced it to my use of a programmable remote I was using once in a while (Phillips Pronto).

If I used the Pronto for a number of SP2 commands, the SP2 would stop accepting any IR. I had to reboot the SP2 to clear the problem every time.

I tried an experiment and used the SP2 remote exclusively for a while and found this cured the problem. I simply have to use the native SP2 remote for this fault to not occur.

Do you use a programmable remote for the SP2 at all?

brucek

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2007, 07:31 pm »
Bruce,
Hmmm, interesting.  Yes I use a Pronto Pro, and haven't checked if using the murder weapon (that's what I call the native Bryston remote...the most bullet-proof heavy remote blunt object in my HT   :)) exclusively keeps the problem at bay.  Weird that a secondary push on the power button 1) doesn't turn off the unit; and 2) resets the ir function.  I'll give these variables a try.  Thx
Ted

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2007, 01:51 am »
I've had a Pronto 3000 (no longer works) and a Pronto 2000 (using it now) with the 1.7 and have never had the slightest problem.  I don't use the Bryston pronto file on their site (it is in the remote) as I prefer to arrange and teach the buttons so they are to my liking.

brucek

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2007, 04:01 am »
I've had a Pronto 3000 (no longer works) and a Pronto 2000 (using it now) with the 1.7 and have never had the slightest problem.
Yep, and I had my SP1 for many years with my Pronto and had no problem.

The problem started when I had it turned into an SP2...............

brucek

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2007, 04:06 am »
I've had a Pronto 3000 (no longer works) and a Pronto 2000 (using it now) with the 1.7 and have never had the slightest problem.
Yep, and I had my SP1 for many years with my Pronto and had no problem.

The problem started when I had it turned into an SP2...............

brucek

Well I guess when I get my 1.7 upgraded down the road, I guess I got some advance education of the potential problem - thanks

chip1

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2007, 08:07 pm »
ted_b

have you tried changing the batteries in the remote?

i used the sp2 remote when i first purchased the unit and had a similar situation, but know i use the universal remote control aeros 850 and i have no problems using all of the sp2 commands with this remote it works flawlessly and even the test signal works with this remote.

if you have quite a few components maybe you too should try a universal remote.

regards, chip1

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2007, 01:01 pm »
Hi Chip,

Is the Aeros 850 a learning remote or a file download remote?

james

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2007, 03:13 pm »
ted_b

have you tried changing the batteries in the remote?

if you have quite a few components maybe you too should try a universal remote.

regards, chip1

Chip1,
?? My Pronto Pro (I referred to in the post) IS a universal remote.  See my gallery. And thanks, but it's not battery issue, it's an ir issue at the SP2 end.  As I said both the SP2 remote and the Pronto Pro remote don't work at the same time. I've yet to test the theory that the Pronto ir commands somehow freeze the main unit.  It worked fine the other night, and all I used was the Pronto.  Thx

chip1

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2007, 03:55 pm »
hello, Mr tanner

what an honor it is to get a reply from you.

the aeros is a learning, macros and file download remote with Ir codes etc.
it's a custom installers dream remote.
i was using the Sr.10.1 that came with the b&k components that i once owned when i upgraded to bryston products there was no way that i was giving up such simplicity so  i purchased the aeros 850 and did all the programming myself with Ir codes and learning functions and some macros and know i have total control of my entire system with just one remote.
i have no issues using this remote with the sp2. I'm able to use all of the sp2 functions and I'm very happy and satisfied. the sp2 is an awesome piece of equipment and i will not sell or trade it for anything in the world.

chip1 :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2007, 04:02 pm »
I must have missed it but you didn't metioned if the SP2 remote "Murder Weapon" works with SP2.  

If the SP2 remote works 100%, then it is a compatibility issue with your Pronto Pro.  

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2007, 04:40 pm »
I must have missed it but you didn't metioned if the SP2 remote "Murder Weapon" works with SP2. 

If the SP2 remote works 100%, then it is a compatibility issue with your Pronto Pro. 

I did mention that both remotes (murder weapon and Pronto) fail to work, but I guess I've never actually stated that the native SP2 remote actually works.  Yes, it does.    It's not a simple case of a dead SP2 remote.   :roll:  In fact that thing is so sensitive that even certain sound waves of bass energy light it up while it sits on the table.

A theory is that if I use the Pronto at all, it might be freezing the SP2, making subsequent use of the murder weapon unusable/ineffective.  I'm pretty darn sure that I've used the murder weapon exclusively (the Pronto is used a lot and spends quite a bit of time on the recharger cradle, even though I have a 3rd party turbo'd battery) and it still fails, unless I reset the SP2 box.  I also don't recall that the SP2 ever first accepted ir commands, and then later stopped accepting, during the same session; it always seems to happen upon boot up.  I'll do a more scientific test soon.

eddiem67

« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2007, 10:25 pm »
Hi Chip,

Is the Aeros 850 a learning remote or a file download remote?

james

Yes it is, I have this problem with my MX-3000, I shipped the unit back to you guys and it worked, hooked is all back up on my rack, still does not work (volume control that is) with the 3000 or the 850.  Universal does not have a direct code for the SP1.7 or SP2