the 3"vc Dynavox midwoof..tres macho
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: 17 Jul 2003, 03:18 am

shopping for a midrange (poll)

beat

« on: 17 Jul 2003, 03:18 am »
Dang, The more I think I learn the more I realize I am still kinda lost. What does one look for in a mid driver when trying to put together a 3 way?  I have a nice sub picked out and plan on crossing it over at about 200hz. This will sit in it's own ported box. The upper box will house the mid and planar tweeter. I figured it would be best to use a mid that was meant to be a mid instead of a mid woofer, but there are so many nice mid woofs out there. I figured if a mid was designed to perform solely in the midsection it would do a better job at it. just for the record (no pun inteded) I love vocals on vinyl..and Just for comparison sake would you choose this nice little carbon/kevlar
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=14243820&St=6775&St2=67695951&St3=-41841406&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=121573&DID=7
or the huge voice coiled
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=14243820&St=6775&St2=67695951&St3=-41841406&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=16177&DID=7

KevinW

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2003, 05:09 pm »
My vote is for the EJ Jordan JX92S, which you can buy from Creative Sound (www.creativesound.ca).  I'm using it as a full-range driver and am blown away by the sound.  It would be great as a midrange as well.  It's a little pricier than the options you listed, but it would be worth it.

beat

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2003, 12:31 am »
Thanks Kevin,
that does indeed look like a nice driver, but it is indeed out of my budget. I recieve a nice discount from parts express so that is why I am shopping there. Do you think cone/dome material is of considerable concern as in tweeters? It seems to me that what is important with the cone material of mids and woofs is mostly stiffness.

beat

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2003, 02:32 am »
Never mind Y'all,
I went with the davis for its supposed incredible detail, with hi-vi dg10s for punch, and for highs I'm giving the PE house brand planar tweeters a shot.

Al Garay

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2003, 05:05 am »
Do some searching in the forum in www.madisound.com. That's were a lot of speaker designers hang out.  Also, www.diyaudio.com.

You should consider: Seas Excel, Eton, Focal/Audiom, ATC, PHL, Scanspeak, Accuton ... those are all highly acclaimed.

For excellent value, look at  Seas CA15RLY or cheaper still ... GR-Research M130.

Al

WerTicus

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2003, 04:22 am »
have a look at this one - paradigm uses them i believe
and so does HR monitors and mackie.

i use them too - and yes they kick arse... use one for a woofer and one for a midrange actually.

http://www.d-s-t.com/vifa/data/p17wj-00-08a.htm

_scotty_

Re: shopping for a midrange (poll)
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2003, 07:01 pm »
I have to vote for none of the above.Try a Hi-VI Research F6 or F5 available from parts express.These are the best kept secret in audio.