Transporter mods question

Benb

Transporter mods question
« on: 17 Feb 2007, 05:22 am »
From reading many threads both before and after getting a Transporter, I now have a few questions.

My findings seems to match a number that I have read.  Although only two days in, I am first amazed that it sounds as good as it does.  Clearly the concept of a hard drive-based system is now viable.  But careful listening reveals that the Transporter is not as revealing or as fleshy as my CD player (TRL modded Sony 2000ES).  It is subtle but real.  We'll see if breakin will improve the Transporter.  The biggest area of weakness that I can hear, and I'm being extra critical here, is a lack of resolution and veiling of transients in the higher frequencies (plucked guitar overtones etc).

From what I have read on this forum, Bolder is working on mods to the Transporter but they aren't "there" yet.  Meaning not sounding good enough compared to fully modded Squeezebox.  Now I love the form and function of the Transporter and, say money is not the deciding factor, I'm wondering if Wayne believes the Transporter is capable of world-class sound with appropriate mods?  I don't mind waiting, but I'm in my 30 days and wondering if this can be a keeper.  No promises, of course, but I'd be interested if you could go out on the limb a little ways.

Thanks

Bingenito

Re: Transporter mods question
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:41 pm »
Having owned the Transporter I recently went through the same thought process. In the end I opted for sending the Transporter back and getting a digital modified SB3 w/ gold bybee and Ultimate MKII power supply from Wayne. As much as I liked the look of the Transporter, the modded SB3 just sounds so much better. After all that is what matters in audio.

My SB3 is still breaking in but the treble is more extended and with no hint of glare that I experienced with the stock Transporter or SB3.

I am using the SB3 digital out to an external DAC so I only went with the digital mods.

Benb

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2007, 04:41 pm »
Let's take the question a little farther... 

People went through this same issue when the Squeezebox first came out.  Cool concept, but the sound isn't there yet.  Same thing with the Airport Express.

But after the mods for the Squeezebox have evolved, it does seem to be world-class.  Now we have the new Transporter out and I'm wondering if it will be a suitable platform to take it to world-class level of sound in a one box unit with some very cool styling and features.

Also, would your decision have been any different if you didn't have an external DAC?

Clearly, I would like this to work out down the road, but like you, the music is the key.  If I still need to turn to my CD player for critical listening, it won't be worth the money.

Kepp 'em coming!  I'm sure many out there have similar questions.

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2007, 05:36 pm »
Benb-

Some additional info on this subject can be found at:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/houstonaudio/

Search:

February 10 Meeting Comments

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2007, 06:03 pm »
Also, would your decision have been any different if you didn't have an external DAC?

Clearly, I would like this to work out down the road, but like you, the music is the key.  If I still need to turn to my CD player for critical listening, it won't be worth the money.

I never listened to the Transporter analog out. I really did not have an interest in that since I like my DAC.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2007, 06:33 pm »
Below is my take on the TP as a modding platform, copy-n-pasted from another Circle thread I posted in.  (I eval'd both the stock TP and my RWA-modded SB3, and the SB3 sounds slightly better, IMO).

I am more convinced that version 1.0 TP is a lousy price point to mod, as I'm sure Slim Devices and others will come out with $400-1000 varieties that are decent platforms, handle 24/96 (like the TP), etc.

Anyway...

"There are a couple schools of thought to the Slim Devices mods.  One, held by Anthony and RAM and others, says that the Transporter is a better "platform" or foundation to begin modding services.  It has better dacs and a more solid analog foundation.  It was clearly built by SD to a different price point, and to address "audiophile needs" by including digital inputs, balanced connectors, etc.  The TP modders will argue that it doesn't make sense to add $1k worth of mods to a $300 platform.  The downside of this Transporter mod school of thought is that were now talking $2800+ for a version 1 product.

The other school, clearly led to date by Wayne at Boulder (and Vinnie at RWA for a short time) is that the Squeezebox is priced perfectly as a stock platform, and that many of the "mods" are frankly evolutionary and can be done without a real critical path; ie. buy better outboard power supplies when you have the cash.  The internal mods are wholesale changes to obvious price-point ingredients and "no-brainers" when it comes to modding.  The resultant product price is less than a stock TP and has proven to be its equal or better, sonically.  It's footprint is great for home systems, and can also be used for secondary headphone/bedroom/office systems, especially if looked at with a lower-end linear ps upgrade.

Me, I've heard both, as per above, and although I'd venture to say a max'd out modded TP would sound great, I'm not sure I want to spend $3k+ on a version 1.0 product in such a growing competitive sub-industry as computer-as-source.   Both schools make sense, neither invalidates the other.  It's all about choices, and timing."